PS Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would love some input if you guys have dealt with something like this.

1994 FZJ80 - Rebuilt PS pump installed 1 month ago; PS has been great since that point until this morning. This morning after 20min 60mph commute I pull into by office parking lot and notice that the PS is very heavy at idle. With RPM's up from idle I have moderate PS (which I'd say is a normal for this rig). Here's what I know at this point:
  • No abnormal noises from PS system
  • PS fluid level checked out OK
  • Heavy steering rolling at idle, zero PS stopped at idle
  • Steering loosens up with higher RPM's over idle
  • PS fluid gushed out when I pulled the reservoir cap with engine running to see if fluid is moving
    • Fluid looks brand new; translucent red
    • No foaming
The lack of sounds, and the fluid gushing out of the reservoir have me scratching my head.

Thoughts?

1994 FZJ80 - Rebuilt PS pump installed 1 month ago; PS has been great since that point until this morning. This morning after 20min 60mph commute I pull into by office parking lot and notice that the PS is very heavy at idle. With RPM's up from idle I have moderate PS (which I'd say is a normal for this rig). Here's what I know at this point:
  • PS fluid gushed out when I pulled the reservoir cap with engine running to see if fluid is moving
    • No foaming
The lack of sounds, and the fluid gushing out of the reservoir have me scratching my head.

Thoughts?

Check the screen in the bottom of the PS reservoir to see if it is blocked. If there was any sludge/debris in the hoses it may have dislodged and blocked the screen. That would explain the overflowing as fluid is being returned to the reservoir faster than it is being fed to the pump.

The photo below is a new PS reservoir. The yellow dot in the center is a brass screen protecting the feed to the pump. The right pic is a closeup of said screen.

PS Reservoir Screen.jpg

Is the belt on tight enough? Any work done recently to the crankshaft?
A 1994 doesn't have a belt. You should realize that, as you have a '94 1FZ-FE.

• No foaming

Thoughts?
Have you had the Harmonic balancer (HB) off, loosened, or worked on for ANY reason?
Did YOU do the PS work or a shop?

The HB MUST be torqued to 304 LB-FT. It drives the engine oil pump as well as the gear for the power steering. If the gear starts slipping, you will also be losing oil pressure.

Check this ASAP!

I did that once too...took the res cap off with the engine running...and got what you got.
I don't do it anymore. Problem solved.
Are you leaking fluid anywhere? I think many here will bet your rebuilt pump has pumped its last pump...on the basis of your rpm observations.
Staying tuned...
:popcorn:

A 1994 doesn't have a belt. You should realize that, as you have a '94 1FZ-FE.

You should realize you're a dick. But good thing you have so much free time that you can spend all your time on here correcting people and showing off your general know it all-ness.

I actually have the exact same symptoms as the OP, the pump in my rig has about 4k on it at this point. I can confirm nothing has been done with the Harmonic Balancer or crank bolt although I will be taking this all off this weekend to address a leaking oil pump cover and changing the front crank seal so I'll know it's torqued properly when I'm done.

Thanks for the post of the reservoir screen that gives me something else to look into.

You should realize you're a dick. But good thing you have so much free time that you can spend all your time on here correcting people and showing off your general know it all-ness.

Thicker Skin.jpeg

Well, I really wasn't TRYING, it just comes naturally.

I meant it in a way that if you have done work on your truck, you will notice that your 1FZ-FE does not have a power steering belt, only two alternator belts and one AC belt.

If yours was a 1991 or a 1992, THEN it WOULD have a PS belt, but you would have the 3FE.

Dammit.....there I go all showing off again. I guess I could help no-one and NOT be a dick? Bit of a dichotomy there......

I'll bet THIS post helps someone, somewhere.

I'll bet THIS post helps someone, somewhere.

Well I'll post my findings from checking the reservoir screen and ensuing the harmonic balancer bolt is torqued to 304ftlbs after this weekend. I have another steering gearbox here and pump that needs to be rebuilt so worst case I can start exploring those avenues if I need to.

Something to add to the OP's symptoms which are identical to mine is that mine the steering seems to work fine when cold but only occur when the engines at operating temp or thereabouts anyway.

Well I'll post my findings from checking the reservoir screen and ensuing the harmonic balancer bolt is torqued to 304ftlbs after this weekend. I have another steering gearbox here and pump that needs to be rebuilt so worst case I can start exploring those avenues if I need to.

Something to add to the OP's symptoms which are identical to mine is that mine the steering seems to work fine when cold but only occur when the engines at operating temp or thereabouts anyway.
Do you lose oil from your reservoir but no leaks?

I'm aware of one truck that lost the inner o-ring seal and it started to suck the PS fluid into the engine oil. Could also be a source of air sucking into the pump.

Check and replace hoses and tighten clamps where you can.

Do you lose oil from your reservoir but no leaks?

I'm aware of one truck that lost the inner o-ring seal and it started to suck the PS fluid into the engine oil. Could also be a source of air sucking into the pump.

Check and replace hoses and tighten clamps where you can.

Level looks good both hot and cold, not seeing any leaks (outside of my oil pump cover and upper pan arch). I'm going to go over all of the hoses and fittings again after I finish the oil pump cover and front crank main seal this weekend as well as put the front up and bleed the system again so I'll report back what if anything I find or resolve.

Well I have confirmed the crank torque as I replaced my oil pump cover seal and front crank main seal this weekend. I noticed some play in my wheel bearings (Figures I shouldn't have followed the FSM spec's given the tire size and abuse I give my rig) I took care of that as well yesterday. So it's neither of those and also confirmed the screen in the res is clear and no debris.

I have new lines on order and will change those as the old ones while don't appear leaking are more than likely the originals and are pretty hard, I flush and bleed the system when I install them and report back here.

Well replaced all the hoses and bleed the system yesterday, no change still have the issue with no power assist when at full temp and low rpms.

I just swapped the pump with a known good OEM unit I rebuilt with new o-rings and bearing so I'll report back once I get to testing but I'm feeling beer and sports today so probably won't know until tomorrow!

Well I can't speak to the OP but the steering pump has fixed my issues :)

@BreckCruiser42 That was an overly harsh response to a post that can easily be read as not intentionally rude. @BILT4ME knows his stuff and regularly helps people on this forum. He helps so much in fact that he may not proof read his responses thoroughly enough for your standards. Perhaps your intentions were good but you were quite rude to @BILT4ME and I'll be blocking your posts in an effort to keep my experience on mud at it's typically high level. It actually seems like you were talking to yourself with your post and I hope you can lighten up and see that the vast majority of folks here are trying to be helpful and have fun sharing their enthusiasm for Land Cruisers.

It's not easy writing out technical explanations and communicating on a forum in a way that all others can clearly understand. Assuming good intentions in others and being slow to initiate name-calling and insults really improves interactions online.

The PS reservoir cap also has a rubber gasket that after about 15 to 20 years turns to hard plastic and lets a bit of fluid leak out.

Anyone who's turned the wheels with the engine running and the cap off knows that the gasket is an essential part of the system.

Everyone should replace the PS cap if it's original.

The PS reservoir cap also has a rubber gasket that after about 15 to 20 years turns to hard plastic and lets a bit of fluid leak out.

Anyone who's turned the wheels with the engine running and the cap off knows that the gasket is an essential part of the system.

Everyone should replace the PS cap if it's original.

Makes sense, that's about the only thing that's part of the PS system I've not replaced so I just added one to my shops parts order for tomorrow so I'll swap that out tomorrow evening just cause although currently it would appear my PS is functioning as it should!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom