PS Coolers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
Threads
For all that have added one of these to your current setup what size cooler did you use? Looking at local parts places (autozone/advanced) I have found the size that used for a Trans coolers 8"X10" but another CLC member used one that was around 2 credit cards sized. Any thoughts, will the trans one work or will it be to large?

Thanks for the input.

Reason for this is during crawling my PS seems to faded as I crawl, i assume from heat, this is my thinking.:confused:

here is mine ..

ps-cooler.JPG

I get it from MAF, but I thought bigger and better performance for the same price from Summit.

I would be interested to know why you need one of these. How long does it take for you PS to fade? Anyone know if thiso helped or ?

When you put big tires .. without ram assist, your PS work hard ( more than before you put you big tires ) so more work is more hot, and hot is thin PS fluid. Thin fluis means less PS power .. and hard steering.

FYI mine faded a lot before I had the gearbox rebuilt. Gone now with new-rebuilt box. West Texas Off Road rebuilt it for me.

FJ62's have a hard line runing out in front of the rad for a small cooler. Do 60's have that line, or does it run directly from the box back to the pump?

Cooler is probably still a good idea... cool fluid makes for happy truck.

I don't know if the 60's have the same cooling issues as the 40's do, but if your cooler is too big it may cause engine overheating problems on the highway. My 16X16 cooler on a stock 40 radiator caused problems, but the 8X10 on a 26" aluminum radiator hasn't yet. I had the 16X16 mounted flush to the radiator, I mounted the 8X10 about an inch away.

Shouldn't cooler oil help the seals not blow?

I've had a big ass transmission cooler in front of my rad for 2 years, runs cool year round. I have a 180 thermostat in my truck.

Bret said:
I don't know if the 60's have the same cooling issues as the 40's do, but if your cooler is too big it may cause engine overheating problems on the highway. My 16X16 cooler on a stock 40 radiator caused problems, but the 8X10 on a 26" aluminum radiator hasn't yet. I had the 16X16 mounted flush to the radiator, I mounted the 8X10 about an inch away.

Shouldn't cooler oil help the seals not blow?

Thanks for the replies!:cheers:

So far I'm trying to fix items before the Round Up....should have started sooner.:doh:

Added a PS cooler when I installed a new OEM pump. I added a magnetic filter too. Works great.

Cheap cooler from Napa...
pscool1.JPG

pscool2.JPG

pscool3.JPG

pscool4.JPG

:beer:

What is the info on the mag filter?

sandcruiser said:
What is the info on the mag filter?
Funny you ask, it creates some kind of molecular alignment that not only removes harmful emissions from the tail pipe while increasing gas mileage, (I'm getting about 28mpg now.) It also has the unusual side effect of making the cabin interior smell like freshly printed $100 bills and fine leather.

I think it also removes metal particles from the PS fluid without causing a restriction in the flow, but I'm not sure. It may just be a bunch of psuedo science hype. Pretty common for this application check your parts store.

pismojim said:
Funny you ask, it creates some kind of molecular alignment that not only removes harmful emissions from the tail pipe while increasing gas mileage, (I'm getting about 28mpg now.) It also has the unusual side effect of making the cabin interior smell like freshly printed $100 bills and fine leather.

I think it also removes metal particles from the PS fluid without causing a restriction in the flow, but I'm not sure. It may just be a bunch of psuedo science hype. Pretty common for this application check your parts store.
LOL

Get a $19 tranny cooler from any parts place.

Cheaper the better

yes..

I hate say this but it's not recommended to use a tranny cooler. The flow rate is not the same. Just make sure you get something similar like Pismojim is using oh his rig. And don't mean the size of the cooler but the tubing size dia. I say this because if you ever make a trip to the junk yard you will the factory cooler I'm taking about. That being said, I got mine from junk yard :) and works well and it's the only cooler I'm using, Mine does not have the factory setup. It's a little smaller than the one above but works well with the 33's I"m using.

fjwagon said:
I hate say this but it's not recommended to use a tranny cooler. The flow rate is not the same. Just make sure you get something similar like Pismojim is using oh his rig. And don't mean the size of the cooler but the tubing size dia. I got mine from junk yard and works well and it's the only cooler I'm using, Mine does not have the factory setup. It's a little smaller than the one above but works well with the 33's I"m using.

the problem is to much flow or to little flow.

GOOD POINT, That could be true if leave in really cold climates. Here the in Southwest it's just too hot in the summer and about right in the winter.

fjwagon said:
GOOD POINT, That could be true if leave in really cold climates. Here the in Southwest it's just too hot in the summer and about right in the winter.

ha, funny, that was a crappy question on my part. i was trying to ask what was the problem with the tranny cooler, is it too much flow or to little.

One of the reasons why tranny coolers are restricted is so they won't get too cold either. :) They say it's not enough flow to cool the ps fluid if used on a ps system but some of the after market tranny coolers will work just watch for the dia. tubing size.

I have never had a problem with a tranny cooler on my steering. I have not had it in extreme cold conditions but 30* and 115* is common..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom