PS conv. tips?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by skiakhokie, Jan 26, 2004.

1. skiakhokie

skiakhokie

I've been researching a PS conv. so far I'm going with a box and pump from junk yard. SOR mounting plate for the box. Grinding and drilling air pump bracket for pump. But, as I was just looking to see how to do the steering I noticed that my front shakles are mighty close to where the ps box plate would be... can I do this without the shackle reversal? Any suggestions/pic of linking the column to the box other than buying the slip yoke and attach. from SOR or in general would be appreciated also.

Mike

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

you don't need a reversal to do the PS.
    i did my entire thing for $300, great mod. good luck.

check the tech section, i learned everything i know from it, and i used the pics and info as a guide. i had no other source of information but this site, and mine turned out great.

fabbed everything myself.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    You can do a Saginaw power steering conversion without needing to do a shackle reversal. In your application, if you want to keep the factory steering column, I have taken the shaft out of the column and had it turned down to 3/4" diameter, and a 3/16" keyway cut into it, to work with the Spicer steering pieces that are sold with many of the kits. I do not like to weld that yoke onto the steering shaft right there, as taking the column apart at a later date would be more difficult.

I noticed that you tried calling, I was busy here at work, sorry Mike.

-Steve

4. atoyot

atoyot

I think it was Mark Whatley who wrote the article in Toyota Trails a few issues back. He did a great power steering conversion with FJ60 parts. The only thing you had to mod was a bracket for the pump. He said the FJ40 steering with the 60 mod was the best he had experienced. You just have to gather the 60 parts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.