PS bracket for 2f engine and saginaw pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi,

Wondering if anyone out there knows of the best place to get a bracket for a saginaw pump to mount to a 2F on my 77 FJ40? I see that BTB has one, but $175 seems aweful pricey for that little bit of steel?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Matt

I did not even need a bracket...just hacked part of the smog pump bracket off and it fit like a charm! :eek: :G

remind me to get pics!

wdorry@yahoo.com makes a Sag pump mount that does not use the two front head bolts. It uses the three motormount bolts. The adjustment arm mounts on a stud (which he provides) on the waterpump. The whole thing was $85+ shipping and included all the hardware.
I believe he is a machinist, and it shows.
Ed Long :)

Fatkid, I never even thought of using the smog pump bracket, that seems like a good idea.    I would like to see pics if you could email them to me or post them here.

Ed, I tried > wdorry@yahoo.com < all I come up with is the yahoo web site.   Do you have a phone number ?

Thanks, Matt

That is his email address. Try emailing him there. His sh!t is nice.
Ed :)

i will get pics tonite....i cant find the camera now! :eek: :cry: :dunno:

I used the one from JT outfitters. Seems to work well and is a pretty clever adjuster design. It does use the two front head bolts though. I there a disadvantage to that?

The biggest disadvantage I can see is violating the torque sequence on the head bolts. Is this really an important factor?. Well why would there be a sequence if it wasn't?
I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, the question is legitimate. I know JTO makes some really nice stuff and turns out some nice products, so, no offense to anyone.

This bracket allows for adjustment of the pump by itself. I've seen some that also run the alt on the same belt, but what if your pump belt is squealing, do you overtighten the same belt that is running your alt just to get the PS pump to stop making a noise??How do the alt bearings like it?

Too many ways to skin a cat, only miles will tell. A longitudinal study, so to speak, might answer the question.

Currently, I'm wrestling with Sag pulley off a GM or Volvo. The Volvo has the correct(read SAME) width pulley as the Toyo. But my rig has been running a narrower belt(SAE) on the wider pulley(s) with no excessive wear. Can get a Volvo pulley, but a bigger PITA to get. Any thoughts???? ??

HERE YOU GO!!! :beer:

Here you see where i cut off the front of the smog bracket.
1000035354_4152003112324PM0.9537099

here is the adjustable part...just a triangular piece of steel bolted on to the pump (came on it, i trimmed it)
1000035354_4152003112324PM0.7257502

Here is the back side, the new nut you see goes thru the smog bracket, and it is a stud that is part of the housing....simple!
1000035354_4152003112324PM0.479336

Here is a close up of that nut.
1000035354_4152003112324PM0.803001

and you guys thought i wasnt gonna come through! :G :bow:

-Max

and you guys thought i wasnt gonna come through!  :G :bow:

-Max

Naw, I had faith in ya!! ;) :D Any problems with lining up the pulleys??

Thanks

nope, that was the beauty of it...the power steering pully is lined up better than the factory alternator one!! :eek:

man did that turn out slick!

Max I wouldent leve the pump mounted like that. Your gonna shere the stud right off. I had the whole smog pump bracket on mine and I shered bouth of the bolts my brother did the same thing. You would have been better off leaving the smog pump bracket intact and just grinding it down a little bit that way you could have too bolts in the pump. i will try to take a picture of what i did so they wouldent sheer. I used a chevy bracket that went arround the pump and I welded a pivit to it so the whole thing fits into the smog pump bracket. There is no chance of this thing comeing loose or shereing and it looks better too.

I thought the same thing, and might weld a bracket to the front of the smog bracket. ah it will work out! :beer:

I know JTO makes some really nice stuff and turns out some nice products, so, no offense to anyone.

Are you talking about the same JTO? My friend got the P/S pump bracket and I would NEVER!! buy it. It was NOT EVEN close to parallel pulley alignment and the adjustment method leaves alot to be desired... even with 2!! washers on the front headbolt, it was not aligned correctly.
Just my less than satisfied $.02

:) Re: PS bracket for 2f engine and saginaw pump?

OK, my real thoughts...
The stuff looked pricey to me. Even though the factory uses the two DR side head bolts to mount the air cleaner, it doesn't seem like that is the best place to use for a mount.
Never actually ordered anything from JTO, but don't want to trash them for the same reason. Bill Dorry makes some well designed, well constructed stuff, at a reasonable price, and I do own some of HIS sh!t, and it is quality... to the bone. I felt wimpy about buying something that I might have been able to make...got Miller 250, torch, bandsaw, grinders, etc, etc,...but what is your time worth???
Sounds like the smog bracket can be made to work, but I ain't got one. A GM bracket, looks like it can be made to work, I ain't got one!
I had several email conversations with Bill and was convinced.
I'm going to spend ONE day, hopefully, tearing the front end off my '40 moving the alt to the pass side, replacing the waterpump, changing out the PS, installing a header, installing a new manifold with a fluid heat riser, changing the valve cover to a 2F(because I can't run the F cleaner after the PS conversion). So... I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I'm counting on bolting on the majority of stuff. Bill has given me full right of bitching it his stuff doesn't work right. I think it will.
I feel better now...
Ed Long :)

nope, that was the beauty of it...the power steering pully is lined up better than the factory alternator one!! :eek:

man did that turn out slick!

Good to know!! I just noticed last week the slight misalignment of my alt. pulley!! I have two of those PS pumps, I should be able to make one fit using your technique!!

Thanks!!

;)

Good to know!!  I just noticed last week the slight misalignment of my alt. pulley!!  I have two of those PS pumps, I should be able to make one fit using your technique!!

Thanks!!

Okay, got home late last night, and after doing some much needed work around the house today - snow shoveling, yard work, and some honey doos - I attempted to work out my PS pump mounting.  I'm using the smog pump bracket, I had to grind a small area for clear, but thats it (edit: Ooops, I lied, I also had to drill out the holes on the smog pump bracket and bushing to fit the 7/16th" bolts!! :D).   Looks like it'll be a piece of cake.  I just need to get some new bolts, 7/16, and some spacers/shims, probably using some plumbing pipe.  The smog pump adjusting/tightening arm bolted to a water pump bolt will work out as well.

Here are a couple pics.  Tomorrow the pump gets cleaned up and I get the new bolts!  Its a Scout pump by the way!! Also, it looks like 1 bolt all the way through, but its not, they are two bolts from the Scout bracket!
PumpBracket1.jpg

PumpBracket2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom