Proud new 80 owner with some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. After browsing through these forums for the past few months, I decided to sell my 02 Taco for a 94 FZJ80. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I sold my taco for 11k and got my 80 for a great price leaving lots of room for improvement. Honestly, my 80 is in better condition than my former taco.

Lucky for me, the 80 came with a recently installed J springs lift purchased from Slee. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't know much about it because his son in law had purchased all the parts. I ditched the virtually new 315 BFG AT that came with the vehicle for some 315 Mickey Thompson MTZ. The MTZ's are awesome tires.

Baselining the vehicle has started with a valve cover gasket change due to a leak and complete engine, trans, brake, and diffs flush. Here are some pics of my new ride.

P1020692.jpg

P1020691.jpg

I've done lots of research on Slee's site along with Man-a-fre. I'm not a big fan of the stinkbug look and am looking to fix it immediately so, here goes my questions

Does this look like a lift with J's on it?
Will 4" OME competition spring fix my problem?
Any thoughts on them?
What other options do I have?
What would be the best way to correct the caster?
I have OME bushings but would Slee's caster plates be the way to go or MAF bracket kit?
Would I need sway bar drop brackets?

Eventually I'm planning on full armor but am probably going with a bumper and sliders first. Rear locker is being installed next week along with 4.88s.

This forum has been such a valuable tool in helping me choose the right vehicle. The tips on here are awesome! Thank you everyone for all you contributions and I hope I can do the same.

Drop brackets

Out of your questions, I would prefer the drop brackets over the caster correction just out of my own experience, and yes use the sway bar drop as well. Hopefully someone will join this thread to answer some of your other questions. Welcome to the world of 80 ownership! Great choice!!! Great to see you here:cheers:

Nothing to contribute, but just watned to say...

Welcome aboard! :flipoff2:

Sweet rig! Congrats!

drop brackets are the easiest, they just bolt on. some complain about the loss of clearance with the brackets.

welcome to the club.

1. Your rig looks great and Welcome! :flipoff2:
2. Get the MAF 30mm spring spacers up front to get rid of the stink bug........cheap solution.
3. Unless your rig is "wandering" as you drive it, I would live with the Caster the way it is. If it is noticeable, replace OME bushings with OEM and get caster plates, Slee or Landtanks.

2. Get the MAF 30mm spring spacers up front to get rid of the stink bug........cheap solution.
3. Unless your rig is "wandering" as you drive it, I would live with the Caster the way it is. If it is noticeable, replace OME bushings with OEM and get caster plates, Slee or Landtanks.

2x on everything BUT waiting on the caster correction. Take care of it now. And welcome to the world of cruisers.:cheers:

Soooowweeeettt FZ!

Congrats!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and input. I'm thinking maybe of going with some spacers and caster correction plates. Will I have any problems going this route? It seems like a stretch for the suspension. Any input appreciated

No real input, just to say very nice rig. I am new to all this also, and always looking for as much info as possible.

Welcome **********

I got the blue bushings with my OME heavy lift kit from sleeoffroad.com. Works well!

The blue bushings may not provide enough caster correction for the J springs.

X3 on what VCCruz said. If you have the Js, I would get the caster correction plates and OEM bushings and be done with.

Oh welcome to Mud:flipoff2: Are you installing an ARB rear locker?

X3 on what VCCruz said. If you have the Js, I would get the caster correction plates and OEM bushings and be done with.

Oh welcome to Mud:flipoff2: Are you installing an ARB rear locker?

I'm installing an aussie in the rear and arb in the front in a few months. ARB all around is a bit out of my budget at the moment.

1. :flipoff2:
....... Unless your rig is "wandering" as you drive it, I would live with the Caster the way it is. If it is noticeable, replace OME bushings with OEM and get caster plates, Slee or Landtanks.

x2 except I wouldn't screw with the stink bug thing until you get done with your mods. It looks pretty level now and you will be changing the weight distribution. The other option to level the cruiser is to change the rear springs to OME heavys.

Caster issues usually are not a safty problem. It can be unnerving if you are not used to it. Unless you feel it is dangerous, get some seat time before you decide if changes are needed.

Oh, and welcome to the madness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom