Proud New 100 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’d like to introduce myself and my new to me LC. Quick background: I had a jeep when I was younger and grew to love off-roading. I live in the West Texas town of El Paso so there are plenty of trails at my disposal. I always loved the 80 series ever since a family friend had one when I was in high school. But, after many hours on here and Expedition Portal, I came to appreciate the 100 series.

I’ve got two young boys who are getting old enough to enjoy camping with me and I love the idea of sneaking away for guy’s weekend with a car full of gear. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last two years and grew accustomed to a smooth ride and comfy seats. After I test-drove a 100 from Craig’s List, I knew this was the car I needed. The perfect blend of capable off road rig and comfortable daily driver.

After I looked at a couple of LC’s that didn't fit the bill, I found a 1998 LC at a local stealership with 173k miles that was in excellent condition. It had a decent service history on it, with the exception of one owner for 2 years. The interior is damn near perfect and the exterior only had a little “brush pin-striping” on the driver’s side, faded side accent trim piece, and a rock chip on the hood.

Here is is the day I got it:
photo 2.JPG

My boys crawled over every inch and love it as much as I do:
photo 1.JPG

I view my rig in 3 phases. Phase 1: get it back to a well maintained daily driver and do a bunch of PM. Phase 2: moderate build that will still be a daily driver. Phase 3: expedition rig for North America (not sure I'll ever get to this phase).

By the way, the Mrs. wasn’t too fond of me getting the Land Cruiser but the day after we got it, me, my wife, two boys, and the dog (lab) took the boy’s bikes down by the Rio Grande for a ride. Afterward, all 5 of us went took the LC on a trail for about 10 minutes just to make sure the 4wd and lockers worked. On the way home, she looked at me and said, “Now I want one.” – Score one for Tyler.

Congrats and welcome!

congrats and welcome

Welcome to the family!

Down in the west texas town of el paso i fell in love with a mexican girl

Welcome to the beginning of what is likely to be a new hobby: adventuring in and 'improving' a TLC. It sounds like you'll have 2 if your wife has her way.
Your cruiser is in my favorite color.

Very nice, congrats!

Congrats and Welcome! I agree w ylexot, the green is very nice and you don't see many of them! Looks like the boys are right at home!

Congrat and welcome. I am debating to get a 100 series too, my wife have been lobbying me hard to get one and sell my 80. She kept wanting me to get a mini van, and we ended up getting a 2014 Sienna SE and traded our RX350. Now she is saying to trade in for a Lexus SUV in less than 5 months since she feels like downgrading !!. :eek:

Congrats! We have a Pilot along with the 100, as well. The Honda is a great family vehicle, but nowhere near as much fun as the Cruiser.

You can put the kids, the dog, and your wife in the Pilot so curious why the LC is so much better? I'm also presuming your Pilot was actually newer than the LC? I've never been in a Pilot.

I was not crazy about the green at first but it has REALLY grown on me.

Everything could have fit in the Pilot but not as comfortably. Yes, the Pilot was newer. But it wouldn't have been able to go offroad on much more than a dirt road.

Welcome to Mud DT. Sounds like you got a plan and the :flamingo: approves, which makes it just that much mo betta!

Congrat and welcome. I am debating to get a 100 series too, my wife have been lobbying me hard to get one and sell my 80. She kept wanting me to get a mini van, and we ended up getting a 2014 Sienna SE and traded our RX350. Now she is saying to trade in for a Lexus SUV in less than 5 months since she feels like downgrading !!. :eek:
I have both. And a 60. D'oh! I'm not well.

Welcome to the brotherhood. I think we all wish to get to phase 3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom