Protecting spare tire from deflation and pebbles/ gravel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a flat this weekend, that was so bad that it ripped open the tire. I then found out that the spare tire, which was mounted under the vehicle for the last 10+ years, was deflated. This caused the tire to separate from the rim, which allowed small gravel and pebbles to be wedged in between the rubber tire and the aluminum rim. I was able to remove most of this with a flathead screw driver and pliers, but did knock some of it inside the tire. After reinflating the tire, air continued to slowly leak out. I needed to use a portable pump to keep the air pressure up until I made it to a tire repair place.

In my other car, the tire is inside the trunk and protected from the elements. Does anyone have any advice on keeping the spare tire in good condition if you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to rarely use it?

SOmeone on here makes a tire mount that uses the third row seat mounts to keep the tire inside like a Jeep does. I don’t want to smell rubber all day so I passed. 10 year old tire is bad juju anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom