Prospeed vs. prinsu vs. bowfin vs dissent roof racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From my understanding, is it safe to say Prinsu was the first to have this style rack. Dissent has really made their own rack and innovated (Per usual - coming to market with the best). the other 2 are basically copies off prinsu?

From my understanding, is it safe to say Prinsu was the first to have this style rack. Dissent has really made their own rack and innovated (Per usual - coming to market with the best). the other 2 are basically copies off prinsu?

I think this is a good point. My understanding is that the dissent rack is pretty substantially different from the others and probably is worthy of seperatediscussion.

The prinsu and others have those vertical (I presume CNC) aluminum sections with cross bars running from one to the next. The dissent is actually a series of slats that runs across the roof between a set of towers connected to the mounting holes. The rest of the rack bolts onto that main frame in the form of those "skirts". Like I said, I can stand on my dissent no issues. No wind noise. Overall awesome product.

I’m sure everyone has a different way of doing it, but I remove the two 8020 load bars that the tent will use, bolt them up, and drop the entire thing back on the top. From there it’s just 8 bolts that thread through the side rails into the cross rails.
I was wondering if people attached the tent to the rack and then put the whole thing on wholesale, but I'm not doing all that every spring and fall!

This is my understanding as well. Prinsu was the first I had seen with this design, but they dragged their feet for a long time on making a product for the 100 series, so other makers took inspiration from their design and got on board before they did.

[Please forgive the related but slight threadjack] but how do the RTTs attach to these racks? I have an ARB rack on relatively low profile non factory mounts and i can barely squeeze my fat fingers and a ratcheting box wrench between the roof and rack and onto the nuts that hold the RTT on and it takes me way longer than I'd prefer. I just can't see how it happens at all with these designs. There must be some simple way that you need to see the rack to know about?
Have you seen this style of mounting brackets? Might work for you.

It was EXTREMELY hard to put my tent on the Prinsu

Much easier on my first generation bump it off road rack basically just big tubes that have room for the bolts and clamps
46944479-CE08-4A32-A034-F66192E43AF6.jpeg

Have you seen this style of mounting brackets? Might work for you.

Those actually do look like they would be a bit easier, although there is still some really cramped space tightening that one bolt on each. Every time i take it on and off I swear I'm just going to buy a Gazelle next year!

After a lot of research we purchased to Dissent Off-Road roof rack. The roof rack is supporting a James Barour Grand RAID XL RTT with addition storage on top. I’m not a little guy, I’m a former football player in the upper 250 lb. range. My wife and I spent 75+ nights in the RTT this last year driving the Dempster, the Dalton, Death Valley, Eastern Sierras and others with no issues from our Dissent roof rack. We have the light bar flaring and the wind noise is almost non existing. Ben at Dissent is a design and manufacturing genius. Go with the Dissent roof rack it’s the “Best in the business.”

View attachment 2183684

View attachment 2183685

View attachment 2183686
How was getting the james baroud rtt on rack? Is it cramped to get to the brackets? Also I see other brackets on the side of the rack. Are they for awning? If so which one and tell me more about them. I’m asking because I have same rtt and looking for same type rack and awning solution. Thank you.

How was getting the james baroud rtt on rack? Is it cramped to get to the brackets? Also I see other brackets on the side of the rack. Are they for awning? If so which one and tell me more about them. I’m asking because I have same rtt and looking for same type rack and awning solution. Thank you.
Sorry for the slow response. Yes, there are brackets on the side for the RTT. They are called ezload brackets to make the loading the RTT easy and fast, 8 bolt along the side of the rack and the RTT comes right off. There are also two brackets that are for mounting an awning.

Ben's Dissent rack has a mount that bolts to your tent and straddles the rack so that you can reach the bolts. You only need one as the front can be accessed through the sunroof opening.

View attachment 2184399

Can I ask if you sourced those button head bolts yourself of was it an option when ordering?

They look better IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom