Pros and cons of a SF rear end VS a FF rear end... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lyle Kilson

Go fast, don’t die.
Threads
So I have a rare 94’ FZJ80 with a SF rear end. What are the main differences between a SF and FF rear end? And is there a conversion kit? Should I not be making such a big deal out of a SF rear end? Should I just get a chromoly rear axle and call it good? I’m also aware of the drum breaks in the rear. Are disc breaks really a huge upgrade? Sorry if this question has already been answered o just wasn’t able to find anything specific to my questions. Thanks for helping a noobie out!

What do you plan on doing with it, any problems with the rear end that you want to change?

Do a search plenty of places explaining the differences. Even one a little further down right now in this forum.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On the other hand, the FF rear axle was an upgrade from the SF because of the disc brakes.

And when an axle breaks in the FF rear, the wheel doesn't fall off. That's an event that can ruin your whole day. Never had that happen off road, although that can lead to such things happening. Did happen to me in my dad's 63 Oldsmobile late one night in Germany. Came off the autobahn, so was really flying just before - I tended to drive 80 mph or so there. Pulled up to the Stop sign at the end of the ramp and pressed the accelerator. Nothing. Motor ran, tranny in D. Nothing.

Hitched home and rousted mom to tow the Olds home (dad was TDY in Spain.) Hooked the chain to the Olds and mom started pulling. A grinding noice and gentle thump that dropped the rear end a little ensued. Went around to look. The tire was all cock-eyed and various brake parts were trailing out from under the rear bumper on that side. Axle had snapped right at the end inside the outer axle, apparently when I mashed the gas st the Stop sign. 15 seconds earlier and things would have been messy at 80+ on the autobahn.

So long term, I'd keep an eye open for a FF rear. There are plenty out there. There's maybe some work to upgrade the brake system, I'm not sure, but it's a worthy and inexpensive upgrade.

SF for off road heavy load sucks

You can get catastrophic failure of the C clip like this and lose a wheel

sf.jpg

I replaced my 94 SF for 96 FF it is a simple bolt on just get the hand brake cable

and you get much better disk brakes and ARB locker

SF for off road heavy load sucks

You can get catastrophic failure of the C clip like this and lose a wheel
While this is a possibility, it is not a likely scenario. Let us not forget that there have been 40s, 60s, and 80s running with SF rears for just a little while now. Some of them even have wheeled some difficult terrain before.
Having come from a SF rear 80 with ARBs, 36" Swampers, and actually wheeling some difficult trails, I wouldn't sweat it. The rear drum brakes do require more maintenance than disks, and you should use the handbrake when parked to keep the rear shoes adjusted properly.

Guys thank you so much! Being new to this platform has been life changing. I’m super grateful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom