Pros and Cons of 15” wheels vs 16” wheels with 33s… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
1989 FJ62…

The plans are 2.5 OME lift and H55 5-speed. I’m having a heck of a time deciding on wheel/tire setup. I know that the ideal tire size is 33x10.5x15 or 285/75/16 but I can’t for the life of me decide on which size wheel to help make that tire decision. The current aftermarket 16” wheels and 32” BFG A/T are not staying on the rig…

I’m thinking either stock 15” wheels or 70-series 16” wheels because I like the look of both and wouldn’t mind skipping spacers. I actually have an FJ80 also with Tacoma steelies and 1.5” spacers that looks/fits great, but I’m not considering those for the FJ62… at least at this point…

Can you help me with pros/cons of 15” vs 16”? This will be 90% on road use with VERY mild off-road use for the 10%.

TIA

F9CF9A9E-895E-4344-A104-7D6472E5343B.jpeg

I’ll put wheel size into perspective using the newest Land Cruiser LC 300 as an example (which isn’t available in North America).
The only wheels that Toyota has available for their most off-road capable model (The GR-S) is 18 inches on the small end up to 22” on the big end with a couple of wheel sizes in between.
As far as Toyota is concerned, an 18” wheel is the smallest recommended for that vehicle.
Even the stripped down work truck Land Cruiser LC70 series doesn’t use 15” wheels.

Rewind 35 years to the FJ60 & FJ62 and it’s 15” wheels harken back to the 1970’s. There isn’t a single new 4WD SUV made today that uses such a small wheel.
In my opinion, a 16” wheel is the minimum size to get if purchasing new wheels for oversized tires. Also with a 16” wheel there’s more tire sizes to choose from.

The original chrome (super heavy) 15”x6” wheels that came with the cruisers do have their charm, being original & all, but they were designed to be used with tiny 225/75R-15 tires - tiny street tires.

While a 33” tire on a 15” rim is possible and plenty of guys have run that combo, the sidewalls are enormous with that setup which only is beneficial when driving on soft sand or extremely rocky terrain.

There are a lot more tire options in 33" for 16" wheels than there are for 15" wheels. I'd go 16" for that reason alone. Also allows you to do a larger brake upgrade down the road if you wanted. No real downside other than losing the original wheels.

I went with new OEM 70 series wheels on my truck and love them.

I don't believe 15" will fit on your FJ80, but I could be wrong. I'd go with 16". Actually I just did, the Geolandar 255/85/16 tires are waiting at the shop for the paint on my new 16" 70 series rims to harden up.

There are a lot more tire options in 33" for 16" wheels than there are for 15" wheels. I'd go 16" for that reason alone. Also allows you to do a larger brake upgrade down the road if you wanted. No real downside other than losing the original wheels.

I went with new OEM 70 series wheels on my truck and love them.
Actually read most of your build thread today… as far as road noise since my intended use is mostly road… how do the Yokohama geolander mt g006 or whatever they are fare on the road? Much drone? I’m used to bfg A/ATs in terms of reference…

I don't believe 15" will fit on your FJ80, but I could be wrong. I'd go with 16". Actually I just did, the Geolandar 255/85/16 tires are waiting at the shop for the paint on my new 16" 70 series rims to harden up.
That’s the wheels and size I’m leaning towards

Actually read most of your build thread today… as far as road noise since my intended use is mostly road… how do the Yokohama geolander mt g006 or whatever they are fare on the road? Much drone? I’m used to bfg A/ATs in terms of reference…

Well after sound deadening the entire truck, the loudest thing I hear is the engine while driving. I'd say they're pretty quiet for a M/T.

I’ll put wheel size into perspective using the newest Land Cruiser LC 300 as an example (which isn’t available in North America).
The only wheels that Toyota has available for their most off-road capable model (The GR-S) is 18 inches on the small end up to 22” on the big end with a couple of wheel sizes in between.
As far as Toyota is concerned, an 18” wheel is the smallest recommended for that vehicle.
Even the stripped down work truck Land Cruiser LC70 series doesn’t use 15” wheels.

Rewind 35 years to the FJ60 & FJ62 and it’s 15” wheels harken back to the 1970’s. There isn’t a single new 4WD SUV made today that uses such a small wheel.
In my opinion, a 16” wheel is the minimum size to get if purchasing new wheels for oversized tires. Also with a 16” wheel there’s more tire sizes to choose from.

The original chrome (super heavy) 15”x6” wheels that came with the cruisers do have their charm, being original & all, but they were designed to be used with tiny 225/75R-15 tires - tiny street tires.

While a 33” tire on a 15” rim is possible and plenty of guys have run that combo, the sidewalls are enormous with that setup which only is beneficial when driving on soft sand or extremely rocky terrain.

I think a big part of why modern trucks and SUVs use bigger wheels is due to rotor and caliper size. They want a high GVWR and tow ratings…so they need big ass brakes.

If you didn’t know, you can buy them new from any Toyota dealer.
Ya I’m just hoping someone in the Southeast is just tired of their setup or maybe purchased some 70-series wheels and isn’t gonna use them or whatever. They’re not gonna hurt near as much as tires @ $150/piece new but never hurts to save a dime 🤷🏾‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom