pros and cons LJ71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I want some help thinking through a purchase... I have searched in the forums and it seems most people say the LJ71 is gutless and "Run Forest Run!" but before I rule it out...

I live in Arusha Tanzania where the roads are pretty gnarly. Im in the market for a tough car/truck and there is someone here selling a 1988 LJ71 for 7000usd. I have never owned a toyota before. Details below from an email and pic attached:

Toyota Landcruiser short wheel base Prado Model Number LJ71
Chassis No. LJ710006701
Engine No. 2L2411454
2.3 litre diesal
Year of Manufacture 1988
Registration No. T923ABF

Mileage is app. 85,000 km, though I wouldn't bet money that one of the previous owners didn't manipulate that. For the most part,
it's been driven by expats, although it was first imported by a Tanzania, in the mid-90s to my knowledge.

I bought the car in December last year to use for 3 months during a business trip through East Africa. Though it's an oldie, it's in good shape and principally sound.

I took it for a drive and its a smooth ride for the roads, however going up hills it slows right down.

My questions:

* What are the benefits vs the drawbacks of an LJ71?
* How does it compare on fuel mileage vs others?
* Is it possible to make any modifications or swap in a diff engine if need be?

I keep trying to forget about this truck and look elsewhere, but I really like it!

What do you think?
image002.jpg

The 2L-T engine is a piece of s***. They are notorious for cracking heads which leads to spending big dollars.

The LJ71 is a light duty coil sprung Toyota 4WD that is powered by an L family diesel engine.

Vehicle characteristics
GRADE: SX5: PRADO SX5 TYPE (08/1991+ PRADO SX TYPE)
DESTINATION: JPN: JAPAN
BODY: WG: WAGON
BODY SHAPE: 5NO: 5 (MINICAR)
ENGINE: 2LTE: 2400CC DIESEL TURBO
TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
CONTROL STD.: Q: 1986/1987 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROL STANDARD (DIESEL)
COLOR CODE: 183

The engine listed is the 2LTE which, at best, has a checkered history. The 2LTE is a 2.4L indirect injected turbo diesel that gets moderate fuel economy (some would say poor), is fairly maintenance intensive as it has a timing belt that requires changing at 100,000 kms (at which point you would be well-advised to do the water pump, accessory belts, full timing component kit, cooling system flush, rad cap, thermostat etc.).

The 2LT is somewhat prone to cracking heads and/or dropping valve seats.

The 2LTE, which this unit does come with, is very prone to cracking heads, having hard starting and start-up smoking issues, electronic injection problems as it ages etc.

Some markets are having a lot of trouble with these engines, and other markets (regions) are not. It seems to depend a lot on what the maintenance of the cooling system has been like. If the cooling system is plugged, the coolant dirty and old - then you are heading into the realm of expensive repairs.

Generally speaking, if you can locate a heavy duty Land Cruiser B family engine or a 1HZ engine, you're going to be far better off.

The heavy duty Land Cruisers are leaf sprung at the vintages your are looking at, have a heavy duty rear axle, and a heavy duty transmission.

The $7000 US price point, to me, seems high - but I do not know what the local market where you are located will tolerate.

The mileage driven is not too high, but you should ensure that the vehicle has had good up-keep as you may find that it it has been mechanically neglected there will be a lot to do to bring it up to standard.

~John

PS 2011 05 16 - updated and made a few corrections (was tired when I wrote before)

Last edited:
... x2 ;)

Excellent RADD!!! :cheers:

The LJ71 is a light duty coil sprung Toyota 4WD that is powered by an L family diesel engine.

Vehicle characteristics
GRADE: SX5: PRADO SX5 TYPE (08/1991+ PRADO SX TYPE)
DESTINATION: JPN: JAPAN
BODY: WG: WAGON
BODY SHAPE: 5NO: 5 (MINICAR)
ENGINE: 2LTE: 2400CC DIESEL TURBO
TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
CONTROL STD.: Q: 1986/1987 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROL STANDARD (DIESEL)
COLOR CODE: 183

The engine listed is the 2LT which, at best, has a checkered history. The 2LT is a 2.4L indirect injected turbo diesel that gets moderate fuel economy (some would say poor), is fairly maintenance intensive as it has a timing belt that requires changing at 100,000 kms (at which point you would be well-advised to do the water pump, accessory belts, full timing component kit, cooling system flush, rad cap, thermostat etc.).

The 2LTE is somewhat prone to cracking heads and/or dropping valve seats.

The 2LTE, which this unit does not come with, is very prone to cracking heads, having hard starting and start-up smoking issues, electronic injection problems as it ages etc.

Some markets are having a lot of trouble with these engines, and other markets (regions) are not. It seems to depend a lot on what the maintenance of the cooling system has been like. If the cooling system is plugged, the coolant dirty and old - then you are heading into the realm of expensive repairs.

Generally speaking, if you can locate a heavy duty Land Cruiser B family engine or a 1HZ engine, you're going to be far better off.

The heavy duty Land Cruisers are leaf sprung at the vintages your are looking at, have a heavy duty rear axle, and a heavy duty transmission.

The $7000 US price point, to me, seems high - but I do not know what the local market where you are located will tolerate.

The mileage driven is not too high, but you should ensure that the vehicle has had good up-keep as you may find that it it has been mechanically neglected there will be a lot to do to bring it up to standard.

~John

Thanks for the advice guys -

I havent come across too many other Land cruisers for this price in the area. There are alot of safari companies around here that go for the "hard top" 70 landcruisers and do all sorts of modifications: RSA Africa - 4X4 Products & Accessories

Seems Wayne is saying this is an awesome truck but POS engine - I heard that someone put a 1HZ engine in one of these? (sorry Im still learning about Land cruisers so I dont know if thats the right engine) - Newish engine imported from Japan fro approx 2000usd...

Would coil springs and "light duty" give you a smoother or rougher ride than a heavy duty cruiser with leafs?

the coil ride is very nice, but you can tune a set of leafs to ride almost as nice.
if you are thinking of a small lift then the dobinson lift is the cat's ass, i love them on my 78 series.
the engine is a POS, sell the engine while it is still running strong and take that money and install a 3B/PZ/HZ into it. the 3B you can keep the same front clip, the others you need to change the sheet metal to the HD version.

the PZ uses the R series tranny which makes the swap a lot easier.

RADD and Crushers -

thanks to you both for the in depth analysis. I will do some asking around about replacing the engine. I have a suspicion that the mileage has been altered and doubt I could really get much $$ for the engine, but maybe.

I think I may take your advice and keep my eyes open for a heavy duty cruiser PZ or HZ engine.

What are the main differences btwn these light cruisers and the heavy cruisers?

Thanks again!

coil springs front and rear vrs leafs (bonus in my books)
R series tranny vrs H55F (in most HD Trucks) ((PZ share the same R series))
4.88 gearing vrs 4.11 (benefit for larger tires or off roading, can suck on the highway)
bodies are pretty much the same from the firewall back
front clip is smaller on the LD
rad is smaller
same t/case
same off set diffs
smaller rear diff

that is about all

Im not sure on availability of engines in your country but its common here to put a 3L (2.8liter) engine from a Hilux/Hiace into the LJ71 and keep it either non-turbo or use the 2LT turbo and manifolds and turbo the 3L. But if Fuel prices are good in your country go the 1UZ v8 like I am!!:D There a good truck, the one in the picture looks tidy with awesome barwork.

a good used 3L engine would make a cost effective option should be easy to find one in au, i got one here in the us for ~$2,800. same mounts, transmission bolt pattern, clearances, etc. as the 2LTE. turbo setup from the 2LTE pretty much bolts right on. and no more ecu, four wires to connect and it's running. ~100% same performance, ~80% better reliability. if a fella is on a budget, it's worth considering.

be that as it may, it sounds like you're doing low-and-slow driving for the most part, and it seems as though it's the long highway speeds up long grades that really kill these things over on this side of the pond. you might make out ok and have it run long enough for a fella to save up some scratch to do an engine upgrade/replacement down the road.

2LTE aside, $7,000 doesn't sound that awful, if it's in good nick.

nice looking rig..

so from what i gather so far here and from other threads, does that mean that the 2LT is not the same time-bomb that the 2LT-E is?

i have seen a few of these LJ's around here and i am warming up to them, as something to buy maybe. there isnt alot of them, and i like that they have coils on the front. the engine swaps mentioned would be awesome, but i haven't time/space/expertise to tackle that on my own here so..

i understand overheating is an issue with these, and im sure anything thats on the road here has been overheated at some point.. and i just dont want to mess with busted motors right now.

so my question is: is an LJ with a strong 2LT(not 2LT-E) to start with.. worth buying?

and is there any way to gauge the potential for engine failure on these, and/or steps to lessen the potential for failure?

:cheers:

2LTE = head cracking issues.
2LT = fewer head cracking issues but also valve guide dropping issues

L series = run

you can manage to make the 2LT exhaust manifold work in the early 3L engine .. having the chance to use the 2L-T turbo and making the 3L better overal engine with turbo on it .. ( beter performance ) IIRC just one of the manifold oles ( or 2 ? ) need to be addressed ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom