1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

property tax questions. tax increasce appeal, etc..

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by archie, Aug 16, 2006.

1. archie

archie

Got my real estate tax assessment and it went from 3900 to about 5800 bucks and wonder if I should appeal. Has anybody appealled and got good results without a lawyer? Did anybody use a lawyer and was it worth the money?

I don't think that the taxes aren't too bad considering that other properties are "proposed" to be taxed about the same, but the taxes in the houses that sold next to me were taxed at 4000 and 4500(My house and lot, slightly bigger than the ones that sold).

I really don't have much to loose in appealling, but I recently bought the house from my brother and my brother's name is still on the record. Does a property get taxed more when it changes hands? I bought the property for 150,000 but is valued at a little more than 400k ( my sweat equitity paid for the rest).
    I still have until Sept 5 to appeal.
    Thanks for the advice.

2. koop

koop

property taxes and related rules are going to be specific to your town. Not long after I bought my house they reappraised it for about 50k more than I bought it for. I did the appeal and sent a smart ass cover letter that said "I just paid X, if you think it's worth X+50k I've got one word for you, SOLD" They rolled it back to the purchase price.

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    We have a cap of 3% annual here, but God help the new owner....

4. honk

honk

Media:
    In general, property is reappraised for tax purposes each time it changes hands.

5. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

On what value did they tax you? 150K or 400K? More?

6. tcb

tcb

Media:
    Albums:
    My property tax jumped big time a couple of years back.. I appealed. Gave me an opportunity to tell them what I thought about it, but that was it...

DENIED.:ban:

7. okefenokeefzj80

okefenokeefzj80

After purchasing my house I found out that it was already appraised higher at the tax office than what I had paid for it. After I bought it, the tax value jumped up even further. I went to the tax assessors office to contest. I brought in an appraisal as well as the contract price that I purchased the home for. It worked as nearly $30,000 dropped off the tax value and I have to pay 300-400 less in property tax now.

8. archie

archie

They now value it at 250k, but three years ago they valued it 178k when houses were selling around 250k. I think the tax value is usually under valuing the property most of the time, but I'm no pro on tax assessments.

9. 45Kevin

45Kevin

Yes appeal it. My city charges $20 non-refundable to file an appeal. We bought our house about 4 years ago and it was assessed much higher than the purchase price. I got a $30K reduction of assessment and now the yearly increase is reflective of real world. By setting the record straight now you will enjoy savings for each subsequent year. You should not need a lawyer.

10. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    you can apeal, if you win however chances are it will go back up next year....and then you will have to apeal again.

one question is often asked ......" would you sell your house for the assessed value?" chances are you would not sell it for the assessed value

in Pierce county WA state, sales price has nothing to do with tax assessment

my house/property(90% of the increse was on the land) went up 150K this year......its still assessed at 1/2 what it woudl sell for

11. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Are you prepared to go in and appeal their $250K assessment only for them to find out it is worth $400K? and then they hit you with the 300 range?

Works both ways is all I'm saying.....sounds like they had it assessed at 178, then upped it to 250...sure it sucks, but sounds like it could be worse...

12. archie

archie

I know that they will eventually get me on taxes, that's why I'm wondering if I should appeal. Next thing they know, they will update their records to show the purchase of the property in late 2003 and knock me up for more money. I think the lawyer filed all the proper paperwork, so I don't think it is my obligation to correct to county's records. The tax letter's do say my brother's name or owner of property.

13. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    we appealed the huge increase after we bought our house 6 years ago; turned out the assessor used the listing information for his increased assessment. But the listing information was partially wrong, and when we could prove that, he HAD to knock his assessment down. Of course, he came back with steady increases in the following years :rolleyes:

second time we appealed last year a 17% jump in one year (although our state presumably limits increases) and it got denied. Their argument was: wouldn't you like to sell it for this price ? I said, yes, you give me the money today, you'll get it for that price - of course, the county didn't buy the house, but we are still stuck with a valuation that probably exceeds what the house would fetch in the declining market here :rolleyes:

the only way to prove to them that they value too high is to put it on the market, and see whether anybody actually makes an offer. Some people I know used that strategy to get their assessments lowered after nobody made an offer anywhere near the asking price for a reasonable amount of time. But even that may fail to persuade them, and often you do not have 3 months to list the house, you basically have to implement that plan for next year's assessment.

We appealed without a lawyer.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">