Proper oiling of 80 series round K&N (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:popcorn:

You are once again late to the party Darwood. It's over. Turn the lights off on your way out. :D

-B-

Nice B!

See, tech can be as much fun as chat... moral = OEM good, K & N not so much.

Riley

You are once again late to the party Darwood. It's over. Turn the lights off on your way out. :D

-B-

Will do... it was a great party though. ;)

Not to get everyones blood pressure going again but I run a K&N and have done so for 60K miles. I have no issues with it and suggest a couple of light passes with the oil, let it set over night and install. Not rocket sience and no problems with the oil leaking by. Now for the million dollar answer to why do I like it? I like it because "I" clean it out more often than "I" would replace an OEM one. I don't check and see if its dirty... I just clean it. Then I know its clean. I play in the sand dunes around the beaches of NC and average 100's of hours on the beach during a year. I haven't had any problems and I trust if fine. This is my experiance and opinion and I don't need any randomly googled facts to back it up.

This is my experiance and opinion and I don't need any randomly googled facts to back it up.

Sounds like the guy who says, "I've been smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 20 years and I feel fine, so who cares what all that stupid medical science says."

I play in the sand dunes around the beaches of NC and average 100's of hours on the beach during a year.

Do your engine a favour and run a little test. With your K&N, put a dab of vasoline inside your air cleaner housing. Drive in the sand dunes for 3 or 4 trips. Repeat with an OEM paper filter and let us know what you find. The guys in OZ did this with a controlled experiment using K&N, OEM, and Finer filters. They were impressed how much better the OEM filtered than the other 2.

-B-

The most important thing you should always remember... Don't ever use K&N filter oil from a squeeze bottle! I have seen these come with air intake kits as a "recharge kit". Always use an aerosol so the filter doesn't become accidentally over oiled. Just throw away the squeeze bottle. It didn't even make good air tool oil. :eek:

"Sounds like the guy who says, "I've been smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 20 years and I feel fine, so who cares what all that stupid medical science says."

Or rather someone who is just not impressed with Cary's "facts" or general banter... I come to this forum to get info from other users about products specific to our trucks. Which is why I answered the mans question and told him how I oil my K&N. How dare I actually be of help and answer the mans question. I don't dispute the OEM as top quality. But there is nothing wrong with the K&N if its kept up with. This thread was about how to oil it not debate them. Flame at will I am done with this thread.

My junk came with a K&N when I bought it. I drove it that way for a bit, then after enough research of my own, I removed it. I now use the OEM washable. I keep the K&N in the garage, after I wash the OEM I like to let it dry for a couple days. While the OEM is drying, I run with the K&N for a couple of days, but not offroad or in any caravans. Thats the only reason I still have it, but I suppose a $5 STP filter would be just as good for the 4-5 days a year I use it.

:shotts:

I interchange the K&N and the OEM filters. I was and let dry one while using the other. I don't oil.

Kalawang

I interchange the K&N and the OEM filters. I was and let dry one while using the other. I don't oil.

GAAAAAAHHH!

Please see post # 28!!!!

A non-oiled K&N filters nowhere NEAR as well as OEM. THE K&N COMPANY ITSELF SAYS TO NEVER DO THIS!!

I give up...

GAAAAAAHHH!

Please see post # 28!!!!

A non-oiled K&N filters nowhere NEAR as well as OEM. THE K&N COMPANY ITSELF SAYS TO NEVER DO THIS!!

I give up...

CJF,

You're correct. However I neglected to add that I only use the K&N for a week or so while my OEM is drying in it's box, and that's in the city. I don't like the difficulty of oiling the K&N evenly. Never did so successfully and it's inevitable that I see the oil being sucked into my intakes so I choose to run it dry.

One of these days I should buy another OEM so that I can swap between the two. :doh:

Kalawang

Or rather someone who is just not impressed with Cary's "facts" or general banter... I come to this forum to get info from other users about products specific to our trucks. Which is why I answered the mans question and told him how I oil my K&N. How dare I actually be of help and answer the mans question. I don't dispute the OEM as top quality. But there is nothing wrong with the K&N if its kept up with. This thread was about how to oil it not debate them. Flame at will I am done with this thread.

You forgot the part where you then came back and chimed in about your beliefs and didn't like it when I called you on it, so you wrote the above. Either jump in and lets discuss the issue, or don't, but don't sit there, lob a grenade out and then act like your Mother Teresa. If you would like, I will be happy to dig up the OBJECTIVE data again, and set it out for you. Of course that would require you to then address the DATA head on, are you capable of that, or just the pussy crap you pulled like above?

I'll get you started. You claim you like the K&N because you clean it more often than the OEM filter. There are some great air filter tests out there. Guess what. Air filters, including the K&N, clean better as they get dirtier, up to the point where they become so restrictive the cause the gas mileage and power to drop. But hey, once again, why let data get in your way? Why not go waste some time and money and clean your air filter more often and possible damage the MAF, who cares about the facts? I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who have forked out money for a K&N and then an MAF, that wish someone chimed up and told them about the problems with K&N's.

We come to this forum for information. I like my information to be based on solid scientific methodology, not hearsay. Sorry for trying to live up to a real standard instead of what has become acceptable for most people, which is pure speculation and opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom