Proper oiling of 80 series round K&N (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my quest for better mileage I cleaned my round K&N for my 80. I have done lots of panel filters that were flat but never a circular one. Anyone know the best way to oil this?

Thanks

:confused:

What's the difference? Either way you spray the surfaces with oil, no? What am I missing?

BTW, most folks here will probably tell ya to toss it anyway...:D

Curtis

You don't want too much oil on any part of the filter. With a panel this is easily accomplished.

I am not asking which side to oil. I know.

Thanks for the editorialization.

take the throttle cable out of its resting notch, take off the MAF plug and unclip the cruse control cable from the support bracket (last two not required but easier if you do) undo all the air cleaner thumb clamps and wing nut leave the air cleaner cover in place for now, loosen the duct clamp at the Throttle body end.

slide the duct and upper air cleaner assembly off the throttle body (towards trucks right) lifting only high enough to clear the stud in the air cleaner,

if it has not been removed in a wile it may want to stick to the throttle body so be gentle with it, if it will not slide off try slight rotation, if not then try sliding a dull thin object (like a butter knife or if you are skilled a 90* pick) between the duct and TB to break the hold careful not to cut or stretch the duct,

After you get the lid off remove the round K&N air filter and place it in trash can, install new OEM air filter and your air filter will have the proper amount of oil in it, None.

take the throttle cable out of its resting notch, take off the MAF plug and unclip the cruse control cable from the support bracket (last two not required but easier if you do) undo all the air cleaner thumb clamps and wing nut leave the air cleaner cover in place for now, loosen the duct clamp at the Throttle body end.

slide the duct and upper air cleaner assembly off the throttle body (towards trucks right) lifting only high enough to clear the stud in the air cleaner,

if it has not been removed in a wile it may want to stick to the throttle body so be gentle with it, if it will not slide off try slight rotation, if not then try sliding a dull thin object (like a butter knife or if you are skilled a 90* pick) between the duct and TB to break the hold careful not to cut or stretch the duct,

After you get the lid off remove the round K&N air filter and place it in trash can, install new OEM air filter and your air filter will have the proper amount of oil in it, None.

I'm kinda glad I never threw out the OEM filter....

It's washable. I just feels kinda sketchy.... I dunno.

See CJF? If you are going to editorialize at least put some effort into it.

lol

Whatever you do don't over oil it because it will get oil on the MAF and cause it to run lean. Some cars it'll pop a lean code,others it will cause excessive gas consumption. I don't use them personally. I just change mine on regular intervals.

I've got a cone K&N on my Z, just cleaned and re-oiled it this past weekend using the K&N kit. Scared the crap out of me to spray it with oil and get it even but keep to a bare minimum. I let it "soak" overnight so that it was totally absorbed into the fabric before re-installing.

Don't ever plan on putting one on the cruiser, though...

I was just going to say the same thing. :D

Thanks for saving me the time of typing that. People don't want to hear it but it is the truth.

Sugar or plain cone? Toasted or non toasted sandwich? Personal preferances are just that. Is this chit chat or tech? I asked a simple technical question which became a K&N bash.

I have used K&N's with benefit & no consequence for years. I had it on my Tundra, Z, Challenger and on my BMW. All worked great and all were easily cleaned & oiled. None were this small a circle (the Challanger's was a standard 70's muscle car large round type.)

I am concerned as this one is a tight circle. I appreciate a good laugh as much as the next guy but I believe this has gone far enough.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sugar or plain cone? Toasted or non toasted sandwich? Personal preferances are just that. Is this chit chat or tech? I asked a simple technical question which became a K&N bash.

I have used K&N's with benefit & no consequence for years. I had it on my Tundra, Z, Challenger and on my BMW. All worked great and all were easily cleaned & oiled.

Since this is tech, please explain what the benefits were of the K&N's since you claim they had some with no consequences.

The evidence I have seen shows no benefits to the K&N, only detriments, which include, worse filtering ability which allow more contaminates in the engine and accelerate wear, and occasional damage to Air flow meters from the oil. K&N filters were designed for off road desert racing with carbs, not extended highway use with sophisticated fuel injection.

Please explain how asking this was a personal affront?

This time I agree with the editorializing.

However if you must use a K&N the oil kit should have instructions on it. Should be something like: "wash the filter spraying from the inside out, let dry, spray the oil on."

Though I think you might be better off just not having a filter at all. ;p

The K&N recharge kit that I have has step-by-step instructions on how to clean and oil the filter. If you need me to scan it and email, just drop me a PM. I'm traveling at the moment so unfortunately can't walk out to the garage and type it up.

As for coverage, I would just say to spray it at 90-degree angle to the surface from a distance of about 18". Do it in two REALLY LIGHT passes to make sure you get coverage. Just make sure that after you wash the filter you let it dry out completely before re-oiling.

Please explain how asking this was a personal affront?

What is this in response to? If it was to my question, I'm guessing this answer means you have no evidence to support your contention that there are benefits to using the K&N as you claim.

i have a k&n cone on my cruiser. i need to find a way to get the oe filter back on...

I hate reoiling k&n filters because there is no real objective way to place the same amount of oil in a uniform way. the whole process is so imprecise. I need to clean mine and even have a new kit waiting to clean it but I'm considering tossing it in trash and getting one of the new paper element cone filters. unfortunately none of the local auto parts stores have the paper cone filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom