Proper Off-Road Rotors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day folks. I've read a few threads on here but have not found a definitive answer. I am off-road with my truck at least once a month. I just had my front rotors and brakes replaced about two months ago. Already my passenger side rotor and brake are rubbing slightly. I wash off the brakes and rotors when i come off the trails...after they have cooled down. But the damage seems to already be done...dust/sand/dirt is already between the brake pad and rotor so when i'm on the trail i assume that stuff is grinding on the rotor. I've been reading about drilled and slotted rotors. Can someone tell me definitively whether slotted or drilled rotors are better at cleaning themselves? I can't afford to be buying and replacing rotors every couple of months.

They are much worse in my experience.

I've spent hours removing impacted sediment from a set with an air compressor and wire coat hanger.

What rotors and pads do you have on it now? I have had no issues with debris and we put a lot of trail miles on our LC.

This sounds like something else is a contributing factor. Many 100s live their entire lives in very dusty environments.

^ that. What brand did you replace with? OEM rotors are fantastic and should last years in all types of environments. Sounds like you may be dragging a pad if you've really gone through pads in two months.

The original set was OEM. I gotta check my receipts/call my mechanic to verify that he replaced with with OEM rotors. I thought he did. I didn't think about the dirt packing itself into the spaces on the drilled rotors but that makes sense. Pad dragging is reasonable too.

Solid rotors are the best application for offroad use, especially in mud. Slotted and drilled will be problematic for anything other than a street vehicle. OEM pads are ceramic composite which should hold up very well to all types of conditions. You're over thinking it. Stick with what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom