proper clutch adjustment for fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 79 fj 40 releases the clutch near the very top of the movement of the pedal arm. Where should it release? That seems wrong to me.
After replacing my slave and master I adjusted mine a couple times following the FSM and it still releases high. Based on my digging around the threads a couple years ago, that's not unusual for these trucks, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say. :beer:

After replacing my slave and master I adjusted mine a couple times following the FSM and it still releases high. Based on my digging around the threads a couple years ago, that's not unusual for these trucks, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say. :beer:
thanks, I have been driving an automatic fj62, so going back to a manual fj40, I have forgotten what it should feel like and what is "normal".

Mine releases high. Much higher than my newer Toyota with a 3rd pedal. Just replaced master, slave, put a new return spring in and set adjustments per the manual.

Sounds to me like you guys are using most of the T.O. bearing travel just to get the bearing up to the clutch fingers, before they begin to release the clutch. I'm thinking the bearing needs to be adjusted closer to the pressure plate fingers (but not riding on the fingers) so that it begins to start releasing the clutch sooner ???

The pedal IS set comparatively high, and complicated by the schoolbus geometry of the steering wheel and seats. But it does ensure complete disengagement of disc from pressure plate and flywheel. Setting it lower could lead to shorter clutch lifespan.

Mine has a relatively high release point too. It does not slip, and is fully adjusted per the FSM.
Dyno

The pedal IS set comparatively high, and complicated by the schoolbus geometry of the steering wheel and seats. But it does ensure complete disengagement of disc from pressure plate and flywheel. Setting it lower could lead to shorter clutch lifespan.
I’ve seen some great comparisons to a FJ40 (soup can with a tractor engine comes to mind) but “schoolbus geometry” might be the most accurate yet! :rofl::beer:Kinda rides like one too!

I’ve seen some great comparisons to a FJ40 (soup can with a tractor engine comes to mind) but “schoolbus geometry” might be the most accurate yet! :rofl::beer:Kinda rides like one too!

My wife referred to my first 40 as a trash compacter with four wheels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom