Proper Aftermarket Charcoal Canister operation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Replaced the OEM charcoal canister with an ACDelco 215-153 unit about a year ago (using this thread and this thread) due to tank over pressurization/ the "woosh" sound issue, (plus my canister was rusted out) which solved that problem. Been chasing a raw fuel smell on the passenger side of the engine bay for a bit, and found if I disconnect the new canister and plug the tank vent hose, fuel scent is gone, which leads me to thinking it's the canister. I suspect the smell is coming from the air vent line on the top...are these canisters supposed to exhale out this port? I was under the impression it was an air inlet to keep the pressure inside the canister happy.

I'm able to blow through both the purge and tank ports and air flows freely out the air vent. Tried a second 215-153 canister from Amazon today and same result....hmmm.

Anyone know if this is normal or if I have two bad canisters? I can't imagine it would vent fumes into the engine compartment by design. I could connect another line from the vent port down to the old OEM air line sticking out of the passenger frame rail, but that line just vents to nowhere also.

Regular air port with dust cap:

CCD7D47B-B586-443D-A572-1D5763D0B884_1_105_c.jpeg

Setup with tank and carb vent combined:

DED46C55-39E1-4123-B41A-1327EA837B0F_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
All of the ports on the top of my gm canister are used for the setup with the FJ60 carb. Take a look at the emissions manual and it shows the correct routing. I can take a pic tomorrow when I am back with my cruiser. The top port is probably venting fumes that should otherwise be burned up by the carb. If nothing else, plug that fitting. The canister vent is built into the bottom.

IIRC that port that you are not using I connected to the carburetor canister intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom