Propane tanks- what other options are out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got the adapter for the 1lb disposable canister and refilled two with no probs. The trick is to refill it with the 20 pounder upside down so you can get a lot more of the liquified gas in....
It also helps to chill the recipient green tank.

^ I fabricated an "L" bracket from plate, bent it 90º, welded 90º gussets at the top and bottom locations at the bend then bolted it to my Slee tire carrier. I've since updated the tank clamps from nylon straps (short term) to a steel locking band with SS clasp. The cradles for the tank were fabbed from HDPE.

A couple more pics for clarification. For whatever reason the pics posted as small files. If you want larger then PM me.

1445300-128b66b2defca47b641c1f33a460f6b5.jpg

1445301-2143692f5ac8dde4ed47f1f78b8f5500.jpg

1445296-68d0e3bd235004e1609a865370ba7579.jpg

1445299-96e7221e31ea8f82cf82b1fbbf4ef30a.jpg

^ I fabricated an "L" bracket from plate, bent it 90º, welded 90º gussets at the top and bottom locations at the bend then bolted it to my Slee tire carrier. I've since updated the tank clamps by making a pair of steel brackets. The cradles for the tank were fabbed from HDPE.

A couple more pics for clarification.

View attachment 2249935

View attachment 2249936
Thanks!

Look at RV places or if you know of an RV being parted out... I know lots of them run propane tanks under the body ... and they should be small enough to fit under yer 80..
After a few years......I followed my own advice....( kind of....)
Before
1585258092473.png

1585258292356.png

After
Out of sight...out of mind...
20200118_161530.jpg

1585257568562.png

1585257708361.png

Is that a proper side tank? I’d understood they don’t work if on their side.
Am I wrong? How big is that and what kind of fitting have you adapted?
I’m on the fence about going to propane, but just cause I find the tanks
awkward to deal with. I dislike disposing of 1 lb bottles

Is that a proper side tank?
Hey J.
This is an ASME tank.. (yeah its made specifically for this... think RV propane tank).
It is a 40 lbs tank... I figure if I put one under the rig..... might as well go as big, and as safely possible....
I got caught on the no wood fires, and inclement weather a few times before..... this should solve that issue for multi-day trips eh !!
Used regular brass fittings and soft copper tubing... did not want hoses down there... cause of vermin..
12v NC solenoid close to the tank, the 2 stage reg, hi/low QD at the rear of the rig....
1585615902232.png

one line going into the rig for the propex that I already had, but have not set up yet.....
I went this route, cause I too dont like the 1 pounders, but also cause I almost busted my rear window with that 10 lbs alum tank.

1585695555598.png

Attachments

• Propane2.pdf
    248.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Are tanks mounted in the rear of the truck safe? I've always been concerned with rear-end accidents with a propane tank attached to the back. My guess is these tanks are rated and tested?

Are tanks mounted in the rear of the truck safe? I've always been concerned with rear-end accidents with a propane tank attached to the back. My guess is these tanks are rated and tested?

As oppose to carrying 10 gallons of gas in the rear swing out carrier? :)

Rear tanks
My guess is these tanks are rated and tested?
These should be D.O.T. rated and its up to the user to make sure that's the case... but yeah not any more dangerous than carrying fuel cans
Are tanks mounted in the rear of the truck safe?
Rear of the truck ? as-in bolted/strapped to the swing arm or rear bumper, or as-in under the rig in between the frame and rear bumper.....?
How you mitigate installation...is probably the one way you wan to look at this.... with the safest option being not installing a tank at all......

Thanks @MANUCHAO and @alia176 to be fair the fuel can in the back is always a concern too. Some of those cans go through vigorous testing, but fair enough.

Bolted and braced to the back of a bumper or swingout arm. Maybe further from your typical impact area. Not under the rig or in-between the frame and rear bumper. But I guess you answered my question with the DOT approved tanks.

@MANUCHAO - I'm interested in how you get that tank filled. Do fill attendants balk at purging / filling the tank as you have it installed under the truck?

Hmmm, while talking about propane tanks...just experienced this problem the first time EVER...be sure to keep a couple #110 o-rings in your stove kit so you can keep using your propane device...when the o-ring you've long forgotten about has decided to "exit stage left" just when you're getting ready to slap those steaks onto the carbon steel pan.

Cheap and relatively convenient to swap on a new o-ring; if you have one 😉.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 6.02.20 PM.png

@MANUCHAO - Do fill attendants balk at purging / filling the tank as you have it installed under the truck?
No..... Hasn't happened yet....😫
I had the tank purged before installation... And use this hose extension....
so far no drama... I have only had to fill it twice...
Screenshot_20200825-185118.png

By the way @mcewan13 I still rock my MUD Jersey......🍻🍻

Last edited:
Hmmm, while talking about propane tanks...just experienced this problem the first time EVER...be sure to keep a couple #110 o-rings in your stove kit so you can keep using your propane device...when the o-ring you've long forgotten about has decided to "exit stage left" just when you're getting ready to slap those steaks onto the carbon steel pan.

Cheap and relatively convenient to swap on a new o-ring; if you have one 😉.

View attachment 2416428
Yup. Otherwise, always remember to shut off the valve when you're not using the tank.

Bumping an old thread here, look like these are NLA, a bunch of The Lite Cylinder Company's tanks were all recalled and can no longer be used or purchased.

did find a few similar options on Amazon, just by searching "Fiberglass Propane Tank"

Good to know if a certain company was recalled but FG tanks are very safe & USCG approved for marine use.

Here’s my go-to reference place (I have a very hate-hate thing with Lamazon & Mr. Burns/Bezos) - but lots of 11-17# tanks are well regarded in boater community.

Presently I have this :

mine just powers a Mr. Heater in the boat, but I’d have zero issue going into a sized FG tank that works in my sled.

Main page of USCG approved tanks (only downside is the more frequent hydro-testing for FG over alloy or steel bodies)

HTH someone, gives options - even a horizontal unit if you so choose:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom