Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the lengthy/wordy post....

Tool box work continues. I've half decided to keep the 10/9 drawer combo, and do a partial resto on it. The case on the lower unit has a lot of surface rust, causing a really bad case of rust acne. It'll need to be hit with a DA sander before paint. I'm undecided about spraying it or brush/roller. I've done a bit of research, and the hammer tone paint can be brushed/rolled, so I might go that route. Or I may just attempt to spray it with a HVLP.

20210207_122015.jpg

The outside temp climbed to the mid/high 30's, so I fired up the pressure washer, a couple of quarts of SuperClean, and some SOS pads. Got it all de-gunked.

In the mean while, I discovered that one of the casters was missing all the ball bearings. The original owner had installed them wrong, as the swivel casters were on the opposite side of the handle. Sort of like a shopping cart. So when removing/cleaning them, I discovered the issue. Not surprised, but disappointed, considering the last 10/9 combo I had was also that way. Unfortunately, I tossed all those casters into the recycling bin. And I know that there was one good swivel caster. Another example of tossing stuff away, that you regret some time later. So.... I ordered another set of Craftsman casters off eBay (just like I did for the stack I sold). $20 isn't bad for a set of four casters (2 fixed, two swivel/brakes) including hardware. And I'll be keeping the old ones as spares, in the likely or unlikely event, that I end up with another box.

Having spent it's entire life in an unheated garage, the underside was solid brown (rust). After cleaning, I sprayed some rust converter on it. Let it sit for the recommended 24 hours, then hit it with a scotch brite. Blew off the debris, then laid on a couple of coats of gray hammer tone:

20210228_091647.jpg

I wasn't going to spend a lot of time sanding it all down perfect, as the idea was just to protect it. Turned out okay, with a bit of the rust acne still visible. When I do the outside, it'll get some serious sanding. Just waiting for the paint to dry/cure, and the casters to get delivered.

Having a bit of 'downtime' from the tool boxes, I Hack Fab'd up another air hose accessory holder. I made two of them, one for my son, and another for me. These have five slots (instead of four like the last one). My son uses the smaller fittings, while I use the larger 'T' style ones. So the slots needed to be different widths.

20210220_132317.jpg
20210220_132336.jpg

I got mine installed and put into service:

20210228_094907.jpg

My son wants a mounting plate for his hose reel. He liked the one I had Hack Fab'd up for the lake house.

20210210_133035.jpg

Unfortunately, another case of tossing something out that ya need later, I sent the original plywood pattern (template) for the hose reel mounting bolts to the landfill. He's going to need to take his hose reel down, so I can make another one. That I won't throw away...

20210228_095405.jpg

Last edited:
Cut the liners for the 10/9 drawer stack. Managed to slice my thumb during the process.....

20210228_150725.jpg
20210228_150758.jpg

If anyone cares., it took 24' of 18" wide material to do all this. I had a few scraps left over that did the removable tool tray. But I don't think I will have enough to do the top of the 10 drawer case. I need a piece a bit wider than what I have. That sucks, as I don't really want to order another 24' roll.

I have a small workspace in a corner of our basement. Since it's small I need to be able to move things around. I wanted a table of sorts to set my miter saw on and I also wanted to be able to use the area under the table top for storage. There are many examples of storage cabinets for the stanley or harbor freight storage organizers. I based mine of of one or more of those. I made it double sided, so there are slots for organizers on both sides. I also made it so I can easily mix and match the standard and deep versions. Most of this I did last spring/summer when covid kept me home. I salvaged some of the treads from the front stairs I rebuilt on the front of the house for the table top. Then I made use of all of the tools in the wood shop at the high school I work at, including the cnc router, to make the plaque for the front.

IMG_1802.jpeg

Last edited:
^^^ I like it! I really need to build something to house all my parts boxes like that! Also like those Bora casters, although they are pricey. I have them on my miter box setup:

20200414_150644.jpg

Installed the new set of casters on the bottom. Then I spent a couple of days sanding the rust acne off the Craftsman 9 drawer lower box. I tried using a DA with 80 grit, then 60 grit. It didn't work as well as my Dremel oscillating tool with 80 grit. The top was in pretty decent condition with only a few scratches/rust.

Sprayed some rust converter on it:

20210305_125742.jpg
20210305_125803.jpg

Going to give it a light buff with a scotchbrite, tack rag, then blow some paint on it today. It's going to take a bit of time, as I want to paint the surfaces horizontal. The hammertone paint seems to give a better result if applied to a flat (horizontal) surface. We'll see how it turns out...

Blew some self etching primer on the lower box:

20210306_094835.jpg

Then changed over to the hammer tone:

20210306_115317.jpg
20210306_115352.jpg
20210306_115346.jpg
20210306_115326.jpg

It's got some trash in it, but that's to be expected from spraying in my garage. I'll pull off the masking tape in a few hours, then get this out of the wife's parking spot.

I really, really don't want to paint the drawers. But, I'm thinking that's what I'll end up doing....

Reactions: KLF
More work on my son's Mega Roller project. We got the frame and drum all painted:

20210307_120625.jpg
20210307_120543.jpg

It's going to a while for the paint to cure (Rustoleum - brushed/rolled on). We hit it with a pair of heat guns on/off for an hour or so. But he doesn't keep his shop heated at night, and the temps have been in the 20's, so it'll be a while.

This weekend's project: my kitchen cabinets are about 26 years old now, so most of the old-style self-close hinges and drawer slides are worn out. Couldn't find an exact match, so time to upgrade to Blum pocket hinges. The Kreg jig was a big help.

PXL_20210307_221712968.jpg

Got the 9 drawers painted for the lower box. Let them dry for a few hours and put them in the case, because I needed the space in my shop:

20210311_155137_01.jpg

Here it is in my 'Wall of Craftsman':

20210311_155812.jpg

A couple of the larger drawers are sticking a bit, but I'm going to wait for the paint to fully cure before going in there with more Teflon lubricant.

Next up is the 10 drawer top. I'm going to spray the drawers tomorrow. Then I'm hoping for some more warm weather to degrease/de-gunk the case.

Finished up the son's Mega Roller project. All assembled and ready to roll:

IMG_20210312_151757419.jpg

He's going to use it a couple of times without filling it with water. If the results aren't satisfactory, he'll fill it up. Also, we've come up with an idea for a scraper for the drum, but he's going to see if it'll be necessary.

Son couldn't wait for the temperature to get above 60:

20406.jpeg

Appears the 14hp Economy Power King pulls it easily. However, it hasn't been filled with water yet. That'll add 1200-1500 pounds to it.

I got it all assembled:

20210321_171619.jpg

In the row with the rest of them:

20210321_171635.jpg

I haven't put anything in it, other than the drawer liners. There are still a few 'sticky' drawers (3 of the larger on the lower, 1 of the larger on the upper). I'm not certain what is causing it, but they seem to bind up about half way in/out. Nothing is bent, that I can see. All the slides looked good. All have Teflon lubricant. I'm thinking (on the lower), that the drawers were overloaded at one time or the other. Although, they don't appear to be bent, racked, or screwed up in any way. They do seem to slide a bit better with some weight in them (I put a 25 pound bag of lead shot in for a test pull/push).

The 'bookends' are identical 10/9 drawer stacks (same year - 1973 - of manufacture), other than the newer Craftsman casters on the one I resto'd.

That'll be it for toolbox resto's for a while. Spring is on the way, and way too many other things that will need attention. I'm still looking for a 6 drawer top, a 7 drawer + bay lower, and a 3 drawer middle box. Which will fill out my collection. All seem to be hard to acquire right now.

I still have two additional 2 drawer uppers, and the 'baby' 2 drawer box I posted earlier (pics of the baby and the 2 drawer I restored):

20210225_103347.jpg

I haven't found a good spot to put them, but I've got a few ideas.

This last combo was a lot of work (sanding/paint) to get back to decent condition, so I'm going to be a bit more particular with any new acquisitions. Or so I hope....

Last edited:
Small project time. My son has a pocket knife that's decent, except for the cheap plastic fake antler grips. I took on the challenge of making a new set. Used some hardwood (cherry? mahogany? rain forest or Asian wood?) I had in the bin. Had to plane it down from 1/4" to 3/16", then transfer the various holes and reliefs from the existing grips.

20210323_151111.jpg
20210323_151431.jpg

I put a couple coats of Watco oil on it, and called it good. Feels comfy in my hand, and hopefully will hold up over time.

The one side has a bit larger gap than I would have liked, but not too bad for a first attempt. I have a new respect for anyone that builds knives. Getting the grip to fit nice to the hilt is definitely an art when making replacements.

Finally got this thing put together and made a bunch of sawdust with it the other day. This is one nice saw, I'm really gonna enjoy working with this thing this summer.
PXL_20210328_220535939.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom