Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At least not in the NiCADs. I have my batteries numbered and the ones that are stuck in the charger for days always dies quickly. I am more very careful with the lithium batteries .
The other issue might be the charger I am using. I buy my tools one at a time, hence tend to use whatever charger is currently in use. I just took a look a t NiCAD one I am using and it was from 2010. There should have been improvements made to them since then.
Have you tried leaving them in the freezer, in a zip bag, over night? It improves the capacity of older NiCAD batteries in many cases.

I moved my chargers to a power strip that is next to the light switch. Makes it easier to remember to shut the whole thing down when you leave the room.
Not to say that I don’t like the timer idea.

The whiskey barrel has now been stained, and some kluge magnet strip added :hillbilly:

1610460249391.jpeg

20210107_121220.jpg

Sold the Craftsman two box stack for $220, so I got all my money back, along with some of the travel money. And I still have the middle box.

Sooooo, after wrestling around with it inside my sand blast cabinet, I got most of the heavy rust off. A wire wheel and sanding disc got the rest. Then a quick coat of spray on rust converter. After the required 24 hours, I rattle canned a coat of self etching primer and a coat of sandable primer on it. After those were dry, a couple coats of Rustoleum Gray Hammertone:

20210115_101450.jpg
20210115_101519.jpg
20210115_101500.jpg

Came out pretty decent, if you remember it's not a Ferrari, it's a tool box. The enamel is still hardening, and I'm hitting it with the heat gun every now and then. Probably will be a few days before I feel it's ready for re-assembly. Will post pics when that's done. And move on to the next 'project'...

Love this, nice work.

Check out this oddball Snap-On box I found the other day on craigslist:

00K0K_heNcQNcfUwtz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

01717_hcn53cH6NNz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

I'm wondering if it's a knock-off? Never seen one like that. The badges don't look right, which makes me suspicious.

Check out this oddball Snap-On box I found the other day on craigslist:
I'm wondering if it's a knock-off? Never seen one like that. The badges don't look right, which makes me suspicious.
Either real or not, that's a BEAUTY! I really love all those small drawers on the upper box!

Finished up the two drawer middle box:

20210119_092121.jpg
20210119_092227.jpg

Pic with one of the two drawer uppers:

20210119_092343.jpg

The two drawer upper boxes are only 10" deep, so in the above pic I have it slid to the front of the middle box. All the other upper boxes are 12" deep, so they fit the middle box perfect.

Here's a pic of my 'Row of Craftsman':

20210119_094742.jpg

The red paint on the middle box is a close match to the two drawer in the first pic. The other boxes have some oxidation/fading from years of use. I like the patina, so I have no intentions of doing a cosmetic resto on any of them. The middle box was too far gone to let go 'as is', so it needed it.

With the two drawer middle box, my three drawer upper and 3 + bay lower is almost the same height as the 10/9 combo on the left. I'm a bit under 6' tall, so I wouldn't want them any taller.

On to the next project...

Crossed another 'to complete' project off the list today. I purchased a couple of the 5000k 48" LED shop lights from Harbor Freight to mount under a shelf at my lake house garage. Not wanting to use the wimpy chains to hang them, I purchased some 'Z' brackets (Amazon) which were marketed for solar panels. Simple install of them to the lights, only had to open up the chain slot with a 1/4" step drill, remove the end caps, and bolt them down. Since I was linking two of them, I got a short flat plug extension cord:

20210119_101340.jpg

The plug rotates 360 degrees. The HF lights aren't a true 48" long, which is a good thing, as both fit nicely under the 8' shelf:

20210120_120231.jpg

Took them up to the lake house (my son and I had already installed the brackets), and bolted it in:

20210122_114055.jpg
20210122_114118.jpg

Now I just need to get that poorly plumbed gas line moved. I've been waiting since last September for the contractor to move it. I stopped by there today, and basically told them either take the job, or not. I don't care either way. I'll find someone else that wants the job.

Started the cosmetic restoration of the last (?) two drawer Craftsman gray/red tool box:

122760339_3373004056150016_3518091085580587099_n.jpg
20201109_141319.jpg
20201030_133902.jpg

Ran the drawers and tool tray through the blast cabinet:

20210124_083510.jpg

I wasn't trying to get all the paint off them, just the loose stuff and rust. The bottoms, sides, and back I left, as they aren't seen once everything is installed. I may hit a few of the bad spots with a light spray of red, but the majority of paint work will be on the fronts and insides (which were really rusty).

Going to let them get a bit of 'flash rust' before I spray on the rust converter. The case is too big to do inside my blast cabinet, without a whole lot of aggravation. I'll be taking it to a local blaster to get it done. Hopefully they won't charge me more than $20 - $30 to do it.

Helping my son out with his mega-lawn roller project:

20210131_135722.jpg

This is 26" gas line, 82" long. It weighs in at around 750 pounds just for the pipe. Add the 1.5" axle, frame work, etc. and it's going to be a beast. And that's before it gets filled with water.

washing machine had a little leak, once I got the cabinet off I decided the time was right to do a deep clean!!
1612158985588.png

🤮
drum out, here's the tub (effing sand IS ALWAYS EVERYWHERE!!!! Next weekend I pull the drier vent and clean it out :p)
1612159043616.png

Well, stuff cleaned up nicely: smudge, and gunk, and slime, and mud, and fungus, and cripto be gone!
1612159175270.png
1612159184871.png

Doing some remodeling of our guest bathroom. Was going to do a half remodel, but ended up going full due to issue with the bath tub drain, so I yanked it out completely. Taking me some time due to a busy schedule with kiddos, but coming along nicely. Finished tiling the shower last night, now need to grout and then will do shower glass. A few more little touches to the bathroom and should be complete soon.

Before...

bathroom_before.jpg

Current state...

bathroom_current.jpg

Helping my son out with his mega-lawn roller project:

View attachment 2571203

This is 26" gas line, 82" long. It weighs in at around 750 pounds just for the pipe. Add the 1.5" axle, frame work, etc. and it's going to be a beast. And that's before it gets filled with water.
@Hack

Ok, so I have a few spots in my yard that could stand to be rolled, but Holy s*** what is going on with that monster? I need a backstory or something you can`t just toss that out without an explanation. What, why, how, etc.

@Hack

Ok, so I have a few spots in my yard that could stand to be rolled, but Holy s*** what is going on with that monster? I need a backstory or something you can`t just toss that out without an explanation. What, why, how, etc.
My son was in the 'Go Big, or Go Home' mindset. He's got 2.5 acres, and the back yard is like the road to Kuwait after the A10's showed up. When I help him cut the grass, I need to get my kidneys checked for damage.

He found somebody selling sections of old gas line pipe, so we did a road trip. They also had the 1.5" rod for the axle. He had the end pieces cut to order by Alro Steel. After some trimming with his plasma cutter, the roller was reasonable even (length). I helped him build the frame, cut the axle, and get it all welded up.

Next part is to figure out the geometry of the tongue, add some gussets to the frame, drill/install some pipe fittings (for filling), pressure test, and then dis-assemble for paint.

I'm hoping my old 14hp Economy Power King will be able to pull it....

Let's see if I remember....... a 5" hose a foot long holds a gallon of water at 8.34lbs, so yeah the power king has it! Pics pics pics

Let's see if I remember....... a 5" hose a foot long holds a gallon of water at 8.34lbs, so yeah the power king has it! Pics pics pics
Hoping to get it completed by March. I'll post up pics along the way.

Rough mathematics, I'm figuring it should hold about 160 gallons of water. At a bit over 8 pounds per gallon, that would add another 1280 pounds to the empty roller. This thing should weigh well over a ton when complete and filled.

Hoping to get it completed by March. I'll post up pics along the way.

Rough mathematics, I'm figuring it should hold about 160 gallons of water. At a bit over 8 pounds per gallon, that would add another 1280 pounds to the empty roller. This thing should weigh well over a ton when complete and filled.

Hey @Hack, found you on LumberJocks!

This showed up in my garage the other day:
PXL_20210201_010048175.jpg

Might try to convert to 2-stage with one of those bigger Dust Deputy things. Eyeing your setup, very nice!

Doing some remodeling of our guest bathroom. Was going to do a half remodel, but ended up going full due to issue with the bath tub drain, so I yanked it out completely. Taking me some time due to a busy schedule with kiddos, but coming along nicely. Finished tiling the shower last night, now need to grout and then will do shower glass. A few more little touches to the bathroom and should be complete soon.

Before...

View attachment 2572072

Current state...

View attachment 2572076
Mad props dude!
Living in a construction zone is always the impetus-buster for wifey. 😩

Thus the indefinite term until improvements get done over here... 😩

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom