Project Wrong Way Idiot (me) Doing the FJ40 Rear Disc Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BenjaminCA

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Im doing the FJ40 Rear Disc Brake Swap. If you're wondering how much skill is required for this project, I will portray the bottom line lowest ability. Follow along, like share and subscribe if you feel up to it. I'll be using this thread to post further episodes regarding the swap only.

I bet your going to run chevy calipers on the rear, like everyone else. The name of your channel is fitting, because thats the wrong way. Assuming you are, those calipers are larger than your front. That will cause the rear to lock up before the front, making the fj40 spin like a top in wet weather.

I recommend 2012 Mustang GT calipers with ‘97 4Runner 4cyl rotors. They are matched well with FJ60 front brakes.

C84343C4-5C5B-47A8-89CD-4052B3F1D09E.jpeg

I bet your going to run chevy calipers on the rear, like everyone else. The name of your channel is fitting, because thats the wrong way. Assuming you are, those calipers are larger than your front. That will cause the rear to lock up before the front, making the fj40 spin like a top in wet weather.

I recommend 2012 Mustang GT calipers with ‘97 4Runner 4cyl rotors. They are matched well with FJ60 front brakes.

View attachment 2217174
A simple propotioning valve, which is needed anyway will make larger calipers work fine on the rear.

I thought the Monte Carlo calipers are 2 piston? And the 40 discs are 4?

Just finished watching the last episode. You might want to pull the third member out of the housing to get a better view of everything to find out where the strange metal bits came from. Maybe slide the spider pin back in temporarily to hold the spiders in place with the retaining bolt in place to hold the spider pin.

Just finished watching the last episode. You might want to pull the third member out of the housing to get a better view of everything to find out where the strange metal bits came from. Maybe slide the spider pin back in temporarily to hold the spiders in place with the retaining bolt in place to hold the spider pin.

I suspect it might be the thrust washer... the little holes in the debris match up it seems.

AF2CB859-5D11-4F21-845B-E70B7130D1AD.jpeg

B7B64770-3B8A-49B8-90A1-B821D7D54109.jpeg

Part 2.5... Because I didn't gain much ground. I have to give it to this rear end, its been a handful to finish. But I'm getting closer every time I touch it. Found out what the mysterious bits were. Also had some questions about lockers...

@GRM I like different ideas... and I had never seen that setup before

What bracket are you using ? Custom ?

Pics diagram?

I do see issue however with the caliper at top... it doesn’t leave much room to compress the spring ... you must be using an extended bump stop to prevent the caliper from hitting the frame?

Love to see more

That said ... I run the Monty calipers in the rear for almost 28 years ... my DD ... it has never done as you said

Great tip from Fj40jim is to use ceramic pads in the rear for less bite

@GRM I like different ideas... and I had never seen that setup before

What bracket are you using ? Custom ?

Pics diagram?

I do see issue however with the caliper at top... it doesn’t leave much room to compress the spring ... you must be using an extended bump stop to prevent the caliper from hitting the frame?

Love to see more

That said ... I run the Monty calipers in the rear for almost 28 years ... my DD ... it has never done as you said

good call on the ceramic pads.

Hey Ben your a ledgend and your channel/build is awesome. I've watched every episode and I ****ing love it.
I'm building a bj42 and I rekon we are nearly on the same skill level, your just a bit more gung ho which I spose can be a good thing and a bad thing!
I love watchin your channel and I make my misus watch it too. I'm doing nearly every mod your doing but I'm not doin the rear disks, your on your own there!
I've got an aussie locker as well and it's cheap as s***. I'm gonna put it in sometime over the next few weeks. Hopefully you beat me too it so I can learn how not to do it. Your leaf spring videos saved me heaps of time!

Anyway keep up the good work and come to Australia some time!! Your doing an awesome job mate. Keep sluggin away!

Another pic of @GRM Rear combo

I like the position of this caliper better than the other ... do you have bracket pics?

I just posted a pic in my build thread. I agree, putting the caliper on top isn't amazing, but it doesn't hit anything. I put it up there as it looked to be the right spot for the parking brake cable.

I too have tried the crap rear pad with amazing front pads to help with poor brake bias.

I know that 90% of people will never get into a situation where the bigger rear calipers become a problem.

When I built this truck, I lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains and commuted highway 17 every day. The traffic on that twisty wet road would go from 60mph to 0mph around a blind turn. The off camber, turned, wet brake slam will highlight any brake deficiency fast. Even my friend who lived on the other side of 17 couldn’t see my obsession with amazing brakes.

While turning the pressure down helps with larger rear calipers, an extreme situation will make the rear lock up first. That will cause the rear of the truck to spin out.

Thus, my smaller rear calipers. It mechanically solves the braking bias issues without extreme pressure biasing.

Last edited:
Well, if you’re sheltering in place due to the Coronavirus, you can spend your time usefully by watching the next episode of Project Wrong Way. I dig deeper into the rear end, and come out the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom