Project Tetanus, 93 Fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mother bitch its been doing the same thing with the cruise control and I couldn't figure it out to save my life. Queuing it up on rock auto and will have it delivered when I'm back from vacation. Hopefully we get two birds stoned with one joint on this!
Get OEM only.

The RA ones have been proven to POS.

Above is way cheaper than your local dealer.

There is absolutely nothing organic going on here.

Get OEM only.

The RA ones have been proven to POS.

Above is way cheaper than your local dealer.

Awesome! Will do, thanks

Great build so far.

That pin-striping is classy!:flipoff2:

Honest question, was that a factory option?

It seems to be, maybe a dealer one, they continue through the flares and you can see it was all done by hand. If I paint it I'd love to do an homage to the guy that laid these things down lol.

So not much has happened the last couple months as this is my winter daily. Tried driving the Caprice in snow once and it got stuck on an exit ramp so it's been exiled to the storage corner of my complex's parking lot.

Meanwhile I tied up the wiring in the rear of the cruiser. Not having abs was a bit of a deal and some dumbass decided chopping the entire wire harness back there was a good idea rather than just clipping and replacing each plug....

20191221_140649.jpg

Easy diagram i made to help myself follow the wires and their colors through the existing and deleted plugs.

20191221_153259.jpg

Harness from underneath pulled apart and finding what goes where.

20191221_185300.jpg

"Unnecessary" wires being deleted and harness re-wrapped. The harness was retucked under the truck and all remaining parts wrapped in electrical tape to keep things somewhat tidy. If i ever revisit this It'll probably be at a stage where this truck is getting simplified further and I may just run a whole new harness back there. I'm really only looking for the rear lights/lock to work and abs if I decide to keep it down the road.

So not much has happened the last couple months as this is my winter daily. Tried driving the Caprice in snow once and it got stuck on an exit ramp so it's been exiled to the storage corner of my complex's parking lot.

Meanwhile I tied up the wiring in the rear of the cruiser. Not having abs was a bit of a deal and some dumbass decided chopping the entire wire harness back there was a good idea rather than just clipping and replacing each plug....

View attachment 2187789

Easy diagram i made to help myself follow the wires and their colors through the existing and deleted plugs.

View attachment 2187791

Harness from underneath pulled apart and finding what goes where.

View attachment 2187794

"Unnecessary" wires being deleted and harness re-wrapped. The harness was retucked under the truck and all remaining parts wrapped in electrical tape to keep things somewhat tidy. If i ever revisit this It'll probably be at a stage where this truck is getting simplified further and I may just run a whole new harness back there. I'm really only looking for the rear lights/lock to work and abs if I decide to keep it down the road.
Would it be worthwhile to buy a used harness to get it all back together?

@slow95z may have what you need and save a ton of time.

Found out the charcoal canister was clogged. I only thought the truck was just mad at me and hissed whenever I put cheap gas in it. Ordered the retrofit canister and solved that dealy.

20200118_144351.jpg

Also noticed later that my alternator idler pulley was not spinning at all. Decided to try the ol' split and replace with a cheapo bearing to avoid the oem pulley as a replacement. So far it hasn't shot it off so im optimistic.

Old bearing

20200117_203815.jpg

Make sure proper ppe is worn at all times.

20200117_203825.jpg

20200117_203819.jpg

Pulley reattached with new oem belts spinning around it. No more chattering when I start the thing so that's a plus.

20200118_144344.jpg

Thats been the extent of the work done. I had to take the passenger rear door speaker out because it started screeching at me. When I build the rear drawers I'd like to mount the cheapo sub I got so at that point I'll probably run new speaker wires and a head unit, but that's future homers problem. For now this thing is getting me through blizzards in the frozen s***hole of hoth.

Would it be worthwhile to buy a used harness to get it all back together?

@slow95z may have what you need and save a ton of time.

I looked into it, but couldn't find a decent used harness before I did the work above. Everything works fine now so I'll leave it. Plus I chalk it up as punishment on myself for chopping the thing in the first place.

If the truck were nicer I'd consider a used harness, but the thing has so many other things to fix or restore first before I'd be able to justify it. If I do go that route I'll be sure to hit him up tho.

I looked into it, but couldn't find a decent used harness before I did the work above. Everything works fine now so I'll leave it. Plus I chalk it up as punishment on myself for chopping the thing in the first place.

If the truck were nicer I'd consider a used harness, but the thing has so many other things to fix or restore first before I'd be able to justify it. If I do go that route I'll be sure to hit him up tho.
For the amount of time you've been throwing at things (idler pulley) you may want to look at alternate ways to get parts.

Having been originally from Iowa and knowing the 1930's availability of things on the farm, I would use Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online to get my parts delivered to my door.

I use them all the time and I'm in a metro area. Better pricing than most.

For the amount of time you've been throwing at things (idler pulley) you may want to look at alternate ways to get parts.

Having been originally from Iowa and knowing the 1930's availability of things on the farm, I would use Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online to get my parts delivered to my door.

I use them all the time and I'm in a metro area. Better pricing than most.

I weighed the option of getting the oem one, but an hour of my time and a $3.50 bearing was worth more to me. Plus I filmed it and had a fun time doing it. Come spring time my focus is going to the undercarriage where I'll be using quality parts wherever I can or rebuilding the oem parts. The axles need attention first and I'd rather save cash to throw at them.

Update!

This turd got me through winter flawlessly, had an especially bad slush blizzard that the gf and I got caught in and boy am I glad we took this thing instead of the Caprice. Early March I pulled the front hubs apart, replaced the front pads, rotors, and several hard lines to get ready for a trip to Denver; also inspected and repacked the front bearings. Had to order and replace a few axle flange studs and nuts in the process, the studs stripped in the center and trapped the nuts on which is the first time I've ever encountered some bull**** like that lol. Got new dust caps, flange gaskets, and lock washers for insurance as well, just trying to milk it till I sell it or pull the axle for a total rebuild. Everything got lithium grease where needed and torqued down to proper specs.

20200229_144227.jpg
20200229_144236.jpg
20200229_144241.jpg

Here it is up in the mountains near Boulder. The only thing that was an issue was one of the rear swaybar mounts is missing a bolt so the bushing slid out and the bar was smacking the axle on washboards which scared me s***less. Found the offending bracket and bent it back into place to be fixed at home.

20200306_150730.jpg

It drove the several thousand miles fairly well. It started to leak a decent amount out of the power steering and a small amount of oil so I kept an eye on all that. The only real concerning issue was it started to get hot on the beginning of the drive back, I pulled off the highway and it was rattling the radiator it was boiling so bad. I ended up cutting 10mph off my cruise control and blasting the heater which kept the temp gauge in the middle. My initial guess was the altitude lowered the boiling point and I just needed to get away from the city. When I stopped in western Nebraska to fuel up I topped up the coolant to the base of the neck the cap sits on, filled the overflow tank, and burped the system. No issues on the way back, I think the air pocket at the top had initially allowed enough of a pressure cushion for the fluid to boil and aerate the pump causing it to not circulate. Regardless it got home, but it was definitely a white knuckle trip back.

Afterwards I drove the thing through the rest of winter planning which repairs needed to be addressed first. No cooling issues since, so it's tabled until other repairs are made. Started building rear drawers for the trunk before the trip to hold damn near half my tools and supplies in case of break-downs so I've focused a bit of time on finishing those. Unfortunately no progress pics other than this and the finished ones. Very pleased how they came out since it was all scrap lumber.

20200317_175318.jpg

20200420_193057.jpg

20200420_193104.jpg

20200420_193110.jpg

20200420_193057.jpg

Also purchased a new 3d printer to dink around with. Measured a dash plug and printed my own to see how well they would work and give the printer a quality test. For $400 this little turd rocks! Left to right is OEM, raw 3d printed piece, and then a printed one that i coated in super glue and sanded a bit.

20200429_200747.jpg

20200429_200759.jpg

Detail shot of the raw piece

20200429_200809.jpg

20200429_200816.jpg

Also printed a few vent fix backets to test those out and fix the one broken vent pin that I have. Fits and works well, I won't be surprised if it melts, but I know it'll be fine to replace with ABS once I get the heated bed and build an enclosure.

20200429_200929.jpg

Finally, busted out the power steering pump to rebuild with a Gates kit I bought forever ago. Been avoiding this repair until I could garage it for a bit. The gear gave me absolute hell, broke two s***ty pullers, chipped the corner of a couple teeth like a dumbass, tried heating it up without destroying any heat treat, finally cobbled together some puller parts and got the thing off. I'll have to file down the sharp edges of the breaks, but I don't think it'll be the end of the world.

20200429_200853.jpg

20200429_200936.jpg

20200429_201156.jpg

The orings are definitely old and needed to be replaced, completely square. The inside of the pump looked good though, no excessive wear.

20200429_201011.jpg

The shaft bearing is annihilated, will need to order a new one of those. Purchased a new high pressure hose as well, the oem one is real chonkey so a $40 gates one is going on.

20200429_201049.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom