Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new Tacoma that Mountain State Overland built is running Hutchinson headlocks, my wife and I did their discovery route with them back when I had my tacoma. They are pretty awesome. They are heavier and they are expensive but in my opinion unless you’re going out and hitting some serious rocks, boulders, and sand then they aren’t needed.

The new Tacoma that Mountain State Overland built is running Hutchinson headlocks, my wife and I did their discovery route with them back when I had my tacoma. They are pretty awesome. They are heavier and they are expensive but in my opinion unless you’re going out and hitting some serious rocks, boulders, and sand then they aren’t needed.
I’m going to be snow wheeling a lot. There are many remote forest service cabins here in Oregon and the PNW I’ve wanted to stay at which are a lot of fun in winter. I took my 85 Toyota 4Runner to one when I was 25 with my wife. Best birthday I’ve ever had. Snowed about 14” with a foot on the ground. Propane heat and lights in the cabin. It had a 90’ lookout tower but the top observation deck was locked. You could still climb up to 80’ so the view was awesome looking over the John Day River High country in central Oregon.

Last edited:
You could get a set of steelies and a DIY beadlock kit for the price of a single one of those Hutchinson wheels. I’d do that with some dedicated off-road tires and just use them on the trail. And get some decent regular wheels for the street.

You had those S/T Maxx tires before right? I like the look of those a lot.

You could get a set of steelies and a DIY beadlock kit for the price of a single one of those Hutchinson wheels. I’d do that with some dedicated off-road tires and just use them on the trail. And get some decent regular wheels for the street.

You had those S/T Maxx tires before right? I like the look of those a lot.
I’ve bought them for my 02 Tundra, 85 FJ60 and all our F350 work trucks at work. They are an excellent all around tire.

Reading about beadlocks and having DOT approved ones is a good thing. Wouldn’t want to have an incident happen and non DOT beadlocks were found to be the cause.

Seems like sort pointless - to worry about if the rims are D.O.T. approved - when the truck is lifted, SOA, with a bombproof front bumper... none of that stuff is DOT approved...

The DOT beadlocks seem like a great way to go to me personally. I need wheels anyway and am selling my current tires and wheels. Rather spend some extra money and do it right the first time. The SOA setup seems irrelevant to the wheel issue. It’s not a quick weekend job. Buying high quality parts and having help getting it done right.

Hutchinson DOT beadlocks
2B5F8643-5F10-4039-9D9B-738A83E33CBE.png

Luckily in the water well business you have a lot of tools that come in handily. This will come in nice for the knuckle cut and turn.
EA961534-2469-4A62-B9C9-04D9CD850E9E.jpeg

70486B92-9BF0-4A7C-A038-422BFCCF1498.jpeg

Is it okay to use emery cloth to clean up the knuckle.
image.jpg

I just now realized you are looking at the ST/Maxx’s. That’s the tire I got to put on my rig! I’ve been nothing but happy with the coopers I have ran and have had buddies run.

7FDF0D78-D033-43C3-929B-986A6275A7E7.jpeg

I just now realized you are looking at the ST/Maxx’s. That’s the tire I got to put on my rig! I’ve been nothing but happy with the coopers I have ran and have had buddies run.

View attachment 1819582
I’ve had them since I bought my 60 in 2013. They have been a great all around tire.

Oredered the Hutchinson beadlocks. They had 5 available in black and only 3 in the argent and unsure how long it’d take to get them. Ordered them in black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom