Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@GLTHFJ60 That pic also shows the vent ports at top. Did you keep the spaghetti mess or close off those ports? The biggest one is for that filler neck vent line that should be kept but the rest I capped off because I took out that multiport thing in the quarter panel. I haven't had any issues with vacuum on the fuel tank but I think others might have.

I originally had them capped, all but the necessary filler neck vent and one to provide a vent, but continually had issues with fuel being pushed out of the somewhat short vent line on hot days. You know, fill up at night on the way home, next day when it's hot fuel is pushed out of the vent.

This spring I hooked up the big spaghetti thing again with a longer vent line hoping to combat this problem, and it's somewhat better. I think having more vent line "volume" helps, but the issue is not resolved. With a full tank, at extreme uphill angles, fuel starts to drain out of the vent.

Where did you route your fuel tank vent? I'm thinking my next move is to route the vent line to the front of the truck and hook up a breather.

So to prep this looks like I need to pressure wash that area so I don’t get debris in the tank. Once the hose is off then cap line to tank to keep any debris out. Did you guys reuse the short fuel hose or get a new one.

I reused mine, but in hindsight I should have replaced it. It's rock hard now.

Last edited:
Where did you route your fuel tank vent? I'm thinking my next move is to route the vent line to the front of the truck and hook up a breather.

I have it hooked up to the standard spot on the filler neck. I've wondered about those rollover check valves but have never researched them.

@Hojack
For hoses it's too long ago to remember the reason why but for whatever reason I replaced mine.

I have it hooked up to the standard spot on the filler neck. I've wondered about those rollover check valves but have never researched them.

Wait a tick. You capped off all of the fuel tank vents, except for the filler neck vent? That's not how I interpreted your other post. Interesting that you don't have an issue with tank vacuum, I would expect that to be an issue for sure. I was referring to the small maybe 3/16" vents, and i clarified my post above, I did originally have a single port connected to a vent line to prevent tank vacuum. That single port is where my leak was.

How new is your filler cap? There has to be an air leak somewhere if you don't have issues with vacuum.

I think I'm going to build a new tank altogether, to fix my starvation issues when offroad, so my venting situation will change. Definitely appreciate the discussion.

How new is your filler cap? There has to be an air leak somewhere if you don't have issues with vacuum.

Cap is a year old now since I left my last one somewhere. My filler neck to cap seal probably isn't all that great and may be why I'm getting away with this set up. But sloshing offroad if I get the cap in the one position that makes it tight I don't have any fuel slosh out down the side of the body from the filler.

I figured the rollover valves are basically check valves and would let air in for venting but not let fuel out in a rollover scenario. Maybe just a simple check valve hooked up to one of the small tank ports would help. Probably better to run some line up higher and put the check valve up there. At some point I'll have to experiment with this.

Fathers Day weekend was a great time to spend with my boy Ryder. I was due to check torque on the wheel spacers so decided to check before we headed up the Clackamas River to go fishing.
C700C631-F473-4AEF-836D-CAC2C83F5678.jpeg

All the nuts on the wheel spacer were all right at 100 pounds on the torque wrench. The blue loctite is doing its job. Had Ryder help me and gave me the chance to teach him how to change a tire and what the different parts do and how they work.
2C121C99-3309-4AAA-8028-EB5BF3B022D7.jpeg

He really was interested in watching and trying what I was doing. He was trying his hardest to make the torque wrench click at 100 pounds.
7B5ABBEF-2221-4826-ADEB-9BE03117038A.jpeg

Putting on all the keyed lug nuts was fun for him to figure out.
0E45ED29-4887-495B-8C0D-0B29081F899D.jpeg

Got both front spacers checked and all the wheels. Then it was time to take the boy fishing.
1179BDCE-26F0-4AB3-9A5B-FE4E2EC75C55.jpeg

My son is so fun to be with and enjoy spending time with him and having Snowball to get us there.

Grabbed lunch at a local taco wagon in Estacada and headed out of town 5 miles to go fishing.
3849C917-4301-49FE-B199-4BB5176752F2.jpeg

Ryder was excited and ready to catch some trout.
D32826EF-0C38-4086-878D-92903DEEEC71.jpeg

Got our tackle ready and got him into action. Today was the first time he’s actually hooked his first trout all by himself. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for his entire life.
2D1FC7D5-3BD5-474E-8732-C5D75CA97BAE.jpeg

There’s nothing like enjoying time teaching your kids something you can enjoy together.
6004F814-4B44-43C6-A9C9-79B348DA7E18.jpeg

It was all smiles and “ this is the best Father’s Day ever” never grew old.
E19160AE-5B4B-43A6-B030-FDDC0A0BBB9F.jpeg

A nice Father’s Day dinner.

6' x 6' x 8' x 0.6 fill ratio x 33 lbs/cf = ~5700 lbs if it's dry. I don't think VWAG sells anything with a frame in North America.

Crazy work week as the family prepares to leave for 11 days to Yellowstone National Park.
AAC1C5A9-2D46-4201-BA3C-AFA07879EBDC.jpeg

Setting a 882’ 25gpm 10HP 480V 3 phase Grundfos well pump yesterday with my employees Grant and new guy Ronnie. Working with these 2 on the job is a lot of fun.
908962A0-96CD-4FA3-AAD8-04B10B5DF442.jpeg

What a nightmare digging between the well and the pumphouse. I can’t wait to get on vacation.:bounce2::bounce:

300 miles on the new Speedhut gauges and really like them. Only thing I need to remember is to wait and let the GPS speedo acquire and not just drive off. Driven a couple times and due to my terrain it won’t acquire signal for 8 miles til I’m in the low country. My fuel gauge fluctuates quite a bit more than I would like too. Seems to fluctuate 1/4 tank while driving. Wonder if there is something like a resistor that can be added to keep it steady like the stock fuel gauge.
301FD6D0-777E-4DB9-BBA6-0EB5F3A71FD2.jpeg

Ryder helped me wash the Dodge in prep for Yellowstone. He’s becoming such a helpful young man.
4E31C58C-1D3B-4E2E-9DCE-075A09EB2838.jpeg

This is my 99 S&S camper I rebuilt two years ago. Bought it and got two seasons out of it but the front bubble windows leaked and started causing the front to sag and hit top of cab on bumps. End of the season I tore into it and opened a :worms:. Nobody I knew ever worked on rebuilding a camper so had to learn. I have some build pictures from that. I should post up that sometime.
Super exciting to get away and enjoy family time and time with my dad and Sheri while Snowball awaits my return.
3A26E596-ECF8-416E-BB42-4379FC8024A3.jpeg

756’ pump install in Mosier yesterday
C8104F0A-4E0A-4546-AB44-AAF0BA891318.jpeg

Last edited:
So, which winch are you going to put on snowball?

13FEDBDE-C8C3-4693-B076-94C089739470.jpeg

Currently in Cody, WY and it’s been a great trip til last night pulling into Cody. My steering box on the Dodge went out pulling into a parking lot to watch a Wild West shootout at the Irma Hotel. The wheel could turn left but not right. We’ve been driving up and down all these mountain passes thank God it didn’t happen while driving up there. Couldn’t have happened in a better spot. The decent alone into Jackson Hole drops 1,000’ per mile on WY 22 into town.
69753102-E7BD-4AB8-AAA6-52361C823C14.jpeg

Toured Jenny Lake in Teton National Park which is very similar to Oregon’s Eagle Caps and Wallowa Lake. Very crowded, too crowded. Hiked back from Inspiration Point which was great. The upper alpine region with no people called me home where I belong not in the Disneyland tourist trap below.
FAB07BFC-820C-4C49-9AFF-B7310C321FD1.jpeg

Famous Mormon Row barn settlement was stunning of the eastern face of the Tetons.
1A299206-41B9-42E3-B59C-2291185B09AF.jpeg

Drove to West Yellowstone and entered the Geiser Basin. Drove around Yellowstone Lake and dropped down into Shoshone Canyon. Not as steep as WY 22 into Jackson Hole but still a decent decent.
5858BAEF-5CB5-4CE1-B43F-2D3843C56393.jpeg

Luckily I had a few extra fuses as my PacBrake has blown a few. The 2011 PacBrake is either getting overloaded or a short has developed. At the shop it’s at I had him install a breaker. Still not sure how much it’s gonna cost but such is life. I’m so thankful it didn’t happen decending into Jackson Hole.
Finding out what happened last night I found there’s a HD gearbox for the Dodge. Talking with the mechanic this morning he knew all about it. At least it’ll be put together better.
Seen quite a bit of wildlife. Hopefully the Dodge will be ready this afternoon for the drive up the Beartooth HWY. Grizzly country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom