Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next Chapter

Last edited:
Really should attach that connector to the diff. It bouncing around will break the wire that goes into the diff eventually.

Flex should be where the brake lines are, not at the diff penetration point.
The wire that goes into the 3rd is stiffer with its own jacketing. I put a short piece of wire loom around it this evening for extra protection. I have some flexibility in the wiring.
I haven't see too many of those Harrop installs yet, it seems like a great place to use a bulkhead connector. Not sure if anyone has done this yet.
There is a bulkhead style fitting that’s in the 3rd member that the wiring goes through.

Some progress on some shocks sneak pics these are still long but can see whats happening

20190920_151004.jpg

20190920_151008.jpg

The torque of the 4BT is showing up with axle wrap. I’ve been feeling it am thinking I should get a traction bar anti wrap kit. Ruffstuff has one.
816C47DA-A35E-4769-A9ED-902B802C0B1A.jpeg

Anybody have suggested length of tubing needed for this?

Last edited:
You’re getting axle wrap with the 3/4-ton springs? You should mount a GoPro under there and verify that first.

When I had 4.11s i took off in 2nd gear unless I was off roading.
That’s how I’ve been driving but on hills I still use 1st to take off and that’s when I’m feeling it, and I live in the hills.

I love the torque, just want to prevent the axle wrap. I didn’t know if anyone knew lengths for the tubing I would need off hand.
Also with the mountain and hills the 60 cruises right up them.

ok, hold on. I'm not a fan of throwing parts at problems you don't actually know are occurring. Especially 70-80lbs of steel that's going to hang under the truck. You should verify that you are having axle wrap first. Like, actually visually seeing it happen.

maybe film a video like this. If you look closely you can see the axle twisting maybe a degree or two on gear shifts. That is normal though.
@GLTHFJ60

I bet axle wrap would get worse on hard throttle assaults. Like close to burn outs. I run one and did feel a difference when putting one on. Acceleration was a little better. After I worked out the right design it's been solid ever since.

For length it will be determined on where you put your crossmember to mount the front of the wrap bar but it is ideal to have a length that follows the arc of the springs so that they work together with minimal binding.

Last edited:
Daily driving Snowball for the past month has been great to get readjusted to how she handles. The ride is everything I was hoping for. The hydro assist make it so stable, even hitting potholes or dips. It doesn’t pull one side or the other. Stopping is comfortable and have not really needed to pin the brakes. With all the rain lately it feels stable on the wet roads and cornering. Even going 50-55mph on my narrow road feels stable. I don’t notice any body roll.
My vacuum pump has started an oil leak. It’s not bad just annoying. There’s still a lot to work on but at least I’m driving Snowball again.
October 5th I’m taking Snowball and Ryder up the northside of Mt. Hood for the historic Tilly Jane A-Frame work party. It’s a lot of fun with a pot luck and beverages provided by Base Camp Brewing. The event is a great time to cut and stack firewood and clean and fix the historic buildings in the Cloud Cap region on Hood. The event draws a strong crowd of support. The buildings are available for winter camp outs. The trail starts at Cooper Spur ski area at 3,500’ and climbs to the A-Frame at just under 6,000’ in 3 miles. It’s a great snowshoe or ski/ snowboard trail.
My best trip was with my buddy James for New Years 2015-16.
DF11A9CD-1B41-4C43-BF80-C57AAD30F0BC.jpeg

Cold foggy start climbing up the trail
0EE98E4F-05A1-4F43-AA67-E8DA4C14807A.jpeg

Low clouds lifted and Mt. Hood could be seen through the burned timber.
49C9590D-1753-49AC-B348-E8B340CCFF30.jpeg

Historic Tilly Jane A-Frame Mt. Hood, OR.
A18B12D4-D00C-4297-B0CE-D1D054AA6C8A.jpeg

The fire that burned the northside of Hood made the ski decent even better. The tree runs and the powder that trip were awesome.
2995B312-8553-4F65-B42F-6D4384D87A15.jpeg

My wife got me an adventure journal when we married in 2004. It was my best gift ever. Since then I’ve tried to journal all the adventures and sketch unforgettable moments. This one was us sitting around the Tilly Jane woodstove with random strangers we just met. We rang in the New Year together and had a great time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom