Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
38EC9EFA-40A7-499C-B948-334E4C7B021F.jpeg

1EEDB736-5671-4D95-8613-0AC24E82AE34.jpeg

51CDF95B-B10F-456B-80D6-B690CE7DD64B.jpeg

6CC6C002-6217-44CE-820E-9D4EE3F88898.jpeg

4BT/SOA OVERLAND BUILD
05E8D022-589C-4976-A5AD-38D227ED534D.jpeg

January 10th, 2018
Fellow FJ60 Cummins diesel enthusiasts. I've followed IH8MUD for a couple years dreaming of one day beginning a diesel conversion in my 85 Landcruiser. I've been searching long and hard for a suitable donor motor still drivable in vehicle. Every 4bt I found had very little info on miles or what it came out of. Finally last week an ad on Craigslist with a 96 Freightliner step van with a 4bt came up in Vancouver, Washington. I went to check it out on Saturday with my buddy Jeremy. We met with the seller who let us take it for a test drive. The motor ran strong with amazing power moving the 12,000 stepvan. With no smoke or any alarming signs I bought the entire step van. It also included a good size tool chest. Jeremy took my 60 while I drove the stepvan back to my work where we run our family business.
Today was our first day to begin removal of the prized possession. The stepvan had a Eaton Fuller 5 speed transmission which works great but decided to go with a dodge nv4500 5 speed. I've been reading up on 4bt swaps but may need some help along the way. Here is the step van and my 85 FJ60.
View attachment 2118784

Project Snowball ❄ could not have been built without the help of some great friends and my dad. Also thanks to our family business with the space and tools needed to complete a build project.
Steve Hougak- thanks Dad
Jeremy Tower
Glen Beers
Mike @boots4
Matt Curtis
Brian Larsen
Josh & Roger Boeck
Steve’s Pump Service
My wife and kids who missed a lot of time with dad while building Snowball❄.
Those who provided parts:
@cruiseroutfit - OME add a leaf, transfer case rebuild kit
@wardharris - Harrop E-locker
@FJ60Cam - Speedhut Gauges and mounting hardware
@Rustic76 - 4plus bumper
@TRAIL TAILOR - pop pins, rear tire holder

Companies:
Steve’s Pump Service
Superior Offroad- Gresham, OR.
Many thanks to Houston
Nick @ Adventure Fab - Vancouver, Washington
Advanced Adapters
Marlin Crawler
Ruffstuff Specialties
Trail Tailor
Trail Gear
Champion Radiators
Bilstein
Hutchinson
Cooper Tires
Speedhut Gauges

Last edited:
I'm selling my running 2F motor and 4speed transmission. They are still in my Landcruiser here in Eagle Creek, Oregon. If your needing a motor and tranny let me know. I'm getting my nv4500 Friday for the swap. I'd like to sell my 2F and tranny with it running so the buyer knows how it runs.

IMG_7873.JPG

IMG_7874.JPG

IMG_7875.JPG

54E60F69-74E3-4DEA-8543-678A43F5C214.jpeg

I absolutely love the 60's series cruiser and am so stoked about the diesel swap. This was last summers trip to Olallie Lake in the high Cascades of Oregon.
0E7458A1-B2B3-49AD-99D3-D6D6B58B10FF.jpeg
2FED5D07-565D-4383-BACD-821FB4B382A0.jpeg
7B0C91E6-FF89-45CC-AFFE-11BADAB3E018.jpeg
824B19A4-766E-4B82-9757-6D0C11E39B21.jpeg

Last edited:
Fellow FJ60 cruisers. I've followed for years dreaming of one day begging a diesel conversion in my 85 Landcruiser. I've been searching long and hard for a suitable donar motor. Every 4bt I found had very little info on miles or maintenance records. Finally last week an ad on Craigslist with a 96 Freightliner step van with a 4bt came up. I went to check it out on Saturday and took the step van for a drive. The motor had a factory cummins rebuild sticker and ran great with amazing power hauling 12,000 pounds of weight. With no smoke or any obvious engine noise I bought the entire step van. It also included a good size tool chest. The seller was a house farmer who used the step van as a mobile tool shed during jobs. He figures he may have put maybe 100K miles on the motor after it was put in. Today was our first day to begin removal of the prized possession. The transmission is a Eaton Fuller 5 speed which works great but am going a rebuilt dodge nv4500 4 wheel drive tranny with warranty and updates and bell housing. I've read a lot of posts on the 4bt swaps but may need some fellow cruiser help. Best part today was we found the motor was rebuilt in 2007 and even cleaner than we'd thought. I'll post our progress. Here is the step van and my 85 FJ60.

View attachment 1608247
Good luck with the swap. Keep us posted on the progress.

You're gonna love it once you have it dialed in. But you have to be patient in the meanwhile. Keep the pictures coming. I pretty much have the same set up as you do.

We are going to go through engine and remove bolts and check gaskets etc. I'm thinking antiseize is a great idea for the future ease in bolt removal?
I was also thinking I don't care for the Cummins beige. I do like the cummins red and black. What are your thoughts. Keep it factory or go custom?

IMG_7885.PNG

IMG_7887.PNG

Last edited:
Agree with The Phoenician, red and black looks nice. and yes this engine vibrates like no other so be careful where you use it if you do. Are you doing SOA or SUA?

Staying with the split case? I haven't broken mine yet behind a turned up Mitsubishi 6 cyl, i might have 15,000 miles now.

3.7 axles and .75 OD of the NV4500 equal about 2100 rpm @ 70mph with "33" inch tires.

Staying with the split case? I haven't broken mine yet behind a turned up Mitsubishi 6 cyl, i might have 15,000 miles now.

3.7 axles and .75 OD of the NV4500 equal about 2100 rpm @ 70mph with "33" inch tires.
My stock is running 2500 rpms at 55 mph now. That will be so nice with overdrive.

The 60 and 62 from factory have the shackle in the front on the front end of the truck the pic you posted the shackle is in the back with a drop hanger in the front basically it has more lift

Awesome, another white 60 with a 4bt swap. And you're in Oregon! You're pretty close being in Eagle Creek. I'm over in Milwaukie.

Paint it whatever color you want. It's yours!

Awesome, another white 60 with a 4bt swap. And you're in Oregon! You're pretty close being in Eagle Creek. I'm over in Milwaukie.

Paint it whatever color you want. It's yours!
We'll have to meet up. Perhaps go cruising after I get it all finished up.

My rebuilt dodge nv4500 and bell housing arrived today. The shop has a year warranty on it and performed updates on transmission, including the 5th gear retainer nut. Have offers on 2F motor. One guy called and said his wife drives a 84 FJ60 and has 2 bad cylinders, he was good with $1000. And another guy called who wants to drop it in a Toyota flatbed truck who said he'd pay $1200. Im showing it to the first guy Sunday who really needs it. The 4 speed is also sold to a guy who has a bad transmission from Seattle. He's paying $500. I'm getting all my figures together to see what my actual cost is at buying step van and selling my running 2F and 4 speed transmission. I'll try to keep track of my costs to allow others who have this diesel swap dream to have some costs.

IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom