Builds Helga: 1966 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn I could have used that
They’re definitely getting harder to find. I’m in the part acquisition phase as well.

Good luck!! I haven't found a easy way to do it. Hopefully those parts will be remade when Toyota redoes some of the early FJ40 parts.

Knocked out a big chunk of work on the brake upgrade thanks to the long weekend even though it was hotter than hades down here.
C1C37375-1396-4A4D-A2F0-3DC2FDAC4E88.jpeg
87B33F75-36AB-46ED-86A0-1D2C790C2CB2.jpeg
45A9D4E6-C667-4219-A7F6-4145CCB6C198.jpeg

Update time! I’m hoping I can keep the momentum up. Started a new job this past week, a new semester of Masters classes and it’s my wife’s busy season again. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep my goal of driving it to Roundup in March!

Found some bumper gussets and an aftermarket bumper (separately) for a good price. Love this forum! For whatever reason all of that stuff was missing. Bumper is a bit thinner gauge than I’d like but it’ll work great for now. Far better than nothing
367A1760-69C5-45D2-BA4F-67C553E85BBC.jpeg

Also splurged on a new dual reservoir master cylinder after struggling to rebuild the old one.
4C869FBE-5CAB-45DD-B530-D8FEE53C7F79.jpeg
After installing the new MC I thought take a crack at rebuilding the wheel cylinders. Was making good progress until I couldn’t get a fitting to thread back into one of them. Thanks again to mud! I’ve got all new m9x1.0 fittings on the way! Looks like I’ll be building more brake lines!
43B0DCBA-99B5-4C9C-A3EE-88C26A9A0AC6.jpeg

Update time! I’m hoping I can keep the momentum up. Started a new job this past week, a new semester of Masters classes and it’s my wife’s busy season again. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep my goal of driving it to Roundup in March!

Found some bumper gussets and an aftermarket bumper (separately) for a good price. Love this forum! For whatever reason all of that stuff was missing. Bumper is a bit thinner gauge than I’d like but it’ll work great for now. Far better than nothing
View attachment 2785736
Also splurged on a new dual reservoir master cylinder after struggling to rebuild the old one.
View attachment 2785733After installing the new MC I thought take a crack at rebuilding the wheel cylinders. Was making good progress until I couldn’t get a fitting to thread back into one of them. Thanks again to mud! I’ve got all new m9x1.0 fittings on the way! Looks like I’ll be building more brake lines!
View attachment 2785753
Are you looking to put a stock bumper on it? I am in the process of rebuilding an 8274 and will need something different than the current stock bumper. So once I get that stuff done...likely next year at this rate, then you are welcome to my stock bumper.

Are you looking to put a stock bumper on it? I am in the process of rebuilding an 8274 and will need something different than the current stock bumper. So once I get that stuff done...likely next year at this rate, then you are welcome to my stock bumper.
I’m pretty open to everything at this point honestly. Unless I’ve gone a different direction before then I’d love to have your stock bumper. Thanks brother!

Well that was a giant pain in the ass. Had to recreate the hard lines because the fittings were mushroomed on the ends from being tightened too much. I was barely able to get them out with vice grips. Getting them threaded back in was a no-go. Fortunately, (thanks again to MUD) I was able to find some new M9x1 fittings. One wheel done, three more to go!

DB69E7B3-CA11-49AB-A959-B4161E0259D1.jpeg

OK, random question: Are these the correct windshield pads for my 66? I’ve only got one and it’s this style but I’m not sure that’s correct.

Yes, they are the correct ones for your '66. Just call in advance to enquire if they actually have the blocks in stock or can get them, I have had issues where stock was shown but when I ordered they said they could not supply.

No big updates happening on this project unfortunately. Been up to my eyeballs with my new job and two masters degree classes this semester. I promise more will come in the near future once everything calms down. Other than trying to extract bolts for new wiper motors the only real progress since the last time is a new oem gas cap (missing chain for some reason) as well as rubber windshield rests. Oh and a badass one switch Bluetooth radio from @thecrazygreek ! Guess I need to help those super sad oem switches to match…
7C1FA214-52B4-46E8-A8A7-43DCCB92B22B.jpeg

7070B095-838F-4945-92F3-410EDEA92B56.jpeg

No big updates happening on this project unfortunately. Been up to my eyeballs with my new job and two masters degree classes this semester. I promise more will come in the near future once everything calms down. Other than trying to extract bolts for new wiper motors the only real progress since the last time is a new oem gas cap (missing chain for some reason) as well as rubber windshield rests. Oh and a badass one switch Bluetooth radio from @thecrazygreek ! Guess I need to help those super sad oem switches to match…View attachment 2858356
View attachment 2858357
Let us know how that bt works

Let us know how that bt works

I mean you could just order this and save yourself $150. It's the same thing he is just adding a knob to it and a screen printed plate to the top you will never see.

On amazon:

MakerHawk Mini Amplifier Board Bluetooth Amplifier 2.0 2X50W 5V-24V Audio Power Amplifier Module for Store Home Theater Speakers​

Untitled.png

I mean you could just order this and save yourself $150. It's the same thing he is just adding a knob to it and a screen printed plate to the top you will never see.

On amazon:

MakerHawk Mini Amplifier Board Bluetooth Amplifier 2.0 2X50W 5V-24V Audio Power Amplifier Module for Store Home Theater Speakers​

View attachment 2858459
I mean I do really dig the look of it matching the rest.

Last edited:

On amazon:

View attachment 2858459

I know you bought one, are you having buyers remorse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom