Builds Helga: 1966 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Updates?

tucker

Sigh... not really. The 80 has taken most of what little attention I've been able to give. Between the wife's busy photography season, family, work and my masters degree free time has been rare. Good news is I've got a thermostat housing en-route right now so I can tackle that mess. Hopefully that's the last coolant system piece I need. Still need to figure out the frozen slave cylinder and rebuild the wheel cylinders. After that I need to figure out the lights and horn and replace all fluids. At some point I'll need to address the largest, most expensive puzzle piece, the tires and wheels. It currently has trailer tires and wheels and a rotten spare tire on an original wheel. Ideally I love to get get 4 more original wheels. Thanks for checking in Tucker. You're more than welcome come check it out any time! I won't even hand you a wrench.

Waterpump
Ok, a little update. Was able to get a little done yesterday evening while the kids climbed all over the cockpit.

Got a glovebox door tab and gasket installed on the glovebox door. Also pulled the rest of the old thermostat housing and water pump off. Ran out of time and didn’t crack open the pump yet.

Not sure what the alternator bracket hardware is supposed to look like but I’m pretty sure that ain’t it.
4D7F4734-4A93-4F61-BAA3-8DD486511715.jpeg

Need to figure out how to take the backing plate off without stripping the Phillip’s heads.
593C7F6C-4C04-47BB-B4CE-3C6295819E40.jpeg

8CE2EF65-BC28-4BDF-945E-2CE35CF022F4.jpeg

Made a little more progress today. One of the two screws on the water pump backing plate was stuck pretty good. I was able to persuade it out with some heat, oil and a slot cut into the head. Opening the pump revealed pretty nasty internals. What do y’all think, is it salvageable with CLR and some new seals?
77577A0A-F355-4DC3-9E8B-5FA1BB36A744.jpeg

I also got my new housing (thanks @Tankota ) apart and replaced the gaskets and thermostat in it. Because I bought the gaskets prior to the housing debacle I got the early gasket that’s not a perfect fit. A little trimming and I moved on. May replace it with the right one eventually. Apparently didn’t grab a block to housing gasket either.
CA21ACEC-272C-4C83-94A8-329DE74059C2.jpeg

Also got the horn back together thanks again to @whitey45.

Last edited:
Fortunately I think the drain plug was barely threaded in there (likely wrong thread size). What appeared to be the rest of the plug disintegrated when I prodded it with a drill bit. Was able to remove most of the debris fairly easily. Will likely clean up the treads with a tap and find a new drain plug. Speaking of, does anyone know where to acquire such a thing or know the thread size?

8FB4BD88-8EF2-4DBE-9CE8-17B9E8DD18F2.jpeg

Edit: It seems what was in my radiator is WAY off from what’s supposed to be there. Apparently there’s supposed to be some sort of a long threaded pipe with petcock.

Last edited:
Fortunately I think the drain plug was barely threaded in there (likely wrong thread size). What appeared to be the rest of the plug disintegrated when I prodded it with a drill bit. Was able to remove most of the debris fairly easily. Will likely clean up the treads with a tap and find a new drain plug. Speaking of, does anyone know where to acquire such a thing or know the thread size?

View attachment 2692201

Edit: It seems what was in my radiator is WAY off from what’s supposed to be there. Apparently there’s supposed to be some sort of a long threaded pipe with petcock.
That should just be a 3/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread). I picked up a tap and die set awhile back which has NPT taps and dies in it, so they're readily available.

Crap.
F1BA6C16-06F8-464B-A7B8-4E3D16B425D9.jpeg
Appears the bolts to attach the water pump aren’t correct… Can anyone confirm that they’re suppose to be M10x1.5?

Split rims
Much mo betta! 16” Toyota split rims for the win! No more trailer wheels and tires. Thanks again AJ @aljollano
1D1E2117-6BB5-4600-A0F3-510F7C62B9A9.jpeg

E982D70D-37BE-4C6B-83F6-751A3CB58C49.jpeg

Personally I'd replace the water pump and the radiator. That is what I did on mine at least. Both were shot and you can still get a Toyota Radiator. I am not sure about the water pump though. I replaced mine with aftermarket, so depends on if you want to keep everything Toyota/original. Check with Beno/Onur on the water pump availability if no response here or through research. It looks great though and look forward to seeing it in person one day!

Thanks Pat! Glad to see your input here. My initial research indicated that the early OEM water pumps are NLA. I don’t remember if there are any aftermarket either.

My plan on the radiator as of right now is to run it as is (assuming I can get the petcock threaded back in) and see if it’s still up to the task. Besides the rust on the steel cradle on the bottom it seems to be in good working order. The ones I’ve seen are a bit cost prohibitive for me. If I do need a new one, do you know the part number by any chance?

Last edited:
Thanks Pat! Glad to see your input here. My initial research indicated that the early OEM water pumps are NLA. I don’t remember if there are any aftermarket either.

My plan on the radiator as of right now is to run it as is (assuming I can get the petcock threaded back in) and see if it’s still up to the task. Besides the rust on the steel cradle on the bottom it seems to be in good working order. The ones I’ve seen are a bit cost prohibitive for me. If I do need a new one, do you know the part number by any chance?
I don't know the part # off hand, but I did buy it online. I think it was about $300ish. That was probably 4 to 5 years ago though. There were aftermarket water pumps then as well and it was a direct fit and no problems to date. Granted I don't know if same applies to 66 vs. 74 engines, since we are talking F engine and 1.5F. Like Tucker said, you could get the radiator boiled. I'd imagine that would be more affordable than a new one. That water pump looks pretty bad though. My 40 is fairly neglected at this point, or at least progress is very much stalled. All my free car time is going into the 100 and now I am rebuilding a 8274. Not sure why I decided to start that project. Finally got it torn down and am in the arduous cleaning process before ordering parts.

If the water pumps aren’t too outrageous or my current doesn’t work out I’ll be getting a new one. It actually looks much better after I let it sit in CLR for 24 hours or so.

I did find an oem 4row for a 2F at CityRacer but it is definitely too rich for my blood.

That 8274 should be cool when you get it rebuilt. I assume it’ll live on your 40?

Looks like CC has the aftermarket pump for pretty cheap. Yeah, I looked at radiator prices and they are nuts. Yeah, the 8274 will be on the 40...won't fit on the ARB for the 100.

Looks like CC has the aftermarket pump for pretty cheap. Yeah, I looked at radiator prices and they are nuts. Yeah, the 8274 will be on the 40...won't fit on the ARB for the 100.

Hmm, that’s not terrible at all. It says 68 to 74. Not sure what, if any difference there is between an early 66 and a 68.

I bought this one from SOR for my '67. Works fine:

054-024A-WWATER PUMP KIT -
Fits 1958-1967 F gas engine with heater - Comes with new water pump, #054-003 radiator hose, #054-004 radiator hose, and #054-008 heater pipe-SOR recommends replacing #054-026A gasket, order separately
Non Club price without the 15% Discount is $ 211.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom