Builds Helga: 1966 FJ40 FST (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a difference, but it's only related to a slight difference in the lower hose connection. The '68-'74 works on earlier models, just fine.
Can the difference be overcome with some tweaking of the hose?

Stumbled across this one and posting for posterity. Currently $56!

Last edited:
That should just be a 3/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread). I picked up a tap and die set awhile back which has NPT taps and dies in it, so they're readily available.
Circling back to this petcock situation… Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a 3/8 NPT thread and not some weird JIS thread?

Can the difference be overcome with some tweaking of the hose?

Stumbled across this one and posting for posterity. Currently $56!
To make that water pump work you will need both lower hoses, and the pipe that has the heater return.

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 4.01.18 PM.png

A little carburetor rebuild fun today. Used the Keyster kit I and as said in various other places it had most of the stuff needed and some stuff I didn’t need. Obviously the new parts with a different thread were a no go.

4C621404-4B79-44FF-A9D5-D36D6B47C753.jpeg

8D6D828A-F5DA-4B72-9982-C7D14A6CF6AB.jpeg

The fuel inlet valve was missing the little spring for some reason. Not sure how important it is.
9633432D-E93D-424A-A8A3-903895F21924.jpeg

Noticed that the float wasn’t traveling as far up with the new hardware as it did previously. Sure enough the new piece (left) was a tiny bit longer than the old. So I reused the old. Not sure if that was the right choice or not.
8BD8B953-DAA9-420B-8B7B-BAFA45259C9F.jpeg

Last edited:
My little helper insisted on helping daddy regardless of my many protests about how small and easy to lose this stuff is. She’s definitely going to be my engineer one day.
578B0B6D-2DE1-4E8A-88AD-73A50273A7E4.jpeg
Also, any of the SD40 gurus know if this little hole in the base of the carburetor is supposed to be open? Seems like it’s just a big ole vacuum leak to me.

E41FC87B-DB0C-470F-85F1-8D3C6A44FFDD.jpeg

Last edited:
So I’m guessing the wife unit wasn’t around as you and your engineer-in-training were performing real-time training in the kitchen on the granite countertops.

That pic is priceless and will need to be in her wedding pics for the bridal shower in 20yrs or so 😂.

As far as the carb, who the hell knows? Maybe Mark @65swb45 .

Haha, correct. The wife was not home at the time but showed up shortly after. 😬

Red, white and blue Santa (USPS) showed up today with goodies! Decided to go with the full clutch master, slave (release) cylinders and hose/hardline package as suggested. Made sense since my old slave cylinder was frozen solid and the hose appeared to be some random (likely standard thread) hose that counldn’t help but cross-thread from god knows what vehicle/application.

Also got a care package from my new best friend Rob @landcrusher909 . Later dual res MC adapter and a core to rebuild or swap for a new one!

CA122423-4A46-4655-91E6-C1839117F86D.jpeg

Now to find the time to attach these damn things when it’s not balls hot outside or I’m not too damn exhausted!

With master’s degree classes, a new job and time with the fam it’s going to be an interesting fall. Ah well, it’s better to have a 40 sitting in my garage than not as they say.

Fantastic Build. It's so cool seeing you have your daughter involved. To bad we don't live a bit closer you have a Great looking rig with a ton of character. Can't wait to see more build pics

Fantastic Build. It's so cool seeing you have your daughter involved. To bad we don't live a bit closer you have a Great looking rig with a ton of character. Can't wait to see more build pics
For sure. It’ll get there one day. It just got a little bit closer with your help already. Hopefully it’ll be at an SAS someday.

I can’t keep that little girl away from anything I do on either truck. As soon as daddy gets his tools out and starts working on something she’s right there to help. I’m loving it.

Was able to score a little garage time this morning. So I pulled the old MCs out and did a test fit of the brake MC and adapter from Rob. It all fit great except for the oil filter housing and the fluid sensor on the MC being in contact. Easily solved by moving the filter housing down a little. Would’ve been easier without one cross threaded nut on one of the u-bolts though.

3D5A6987-4910-4935-A0F0-F4725F530008.jpeg
7694C988-DF65-466F-A248-A4355F369435.jpeg
C7FBEF83-5ED6-4AEC-9835-A883ECBF13D1.jpeg

Also, anyone know what this thing is on the exhaust manifold? Never noticed it until I took this picture. Heat riser valve perhaps?
26B02AC0-5DBA-429E-B750-5557576F2F94.jpeg

Last edited:
Heatriser valve, it helps with warming up when engine is first started cold. A lot of times on these old Cruisers its frozen and doesn't function.
Thanks Tahoe! Is there any way to easily verify operation without removing the intake manifold? Apparently if they are stuck open they can overheat the manifold and crack it right?

Thanks Tahoe! Is there any way to easily verify operation without removing the intake manifold? Apparently if they are stuck open they can overheat the manifold and crack it right?
Yes.
There is a counter weight on the other side, you can check by twisting that, if it doesn't move Heatriser is frozen.

Yes.
There is a counter weight on the other side, you can check by twisting that, if it doesn't move Heatriser is frozen.
Damn. Looks like I’ll be trying to free that thing…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom