Builds Project Remote Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I have had a client pursuing me on a frame up since last fall. I really don’t have the time or space to take one on right now, so I kept putting him off. He told me he had a very large workshop and tools, and that if I were inclined, I could work on it at his place. I was dubious, but I finally agreed in February to go have a look.

A cursory inspection showed that there would indeed be a lot of work involved, but that there would certainly be plenty of elbow room!
1ED3A58F-05F8-4BAF-8F78-213556F1E037.jpeg

The front axle was still intact at this point, but the wheel bearings were duddy loose, and an overhaul was planned.

But first I took the transmission and transfer case down to the shop for a full overhaul. Just pulling the covers, I could tell the tailshaft was a gonner. Tear down confirmation.
510F94BE-5870-4D7C-8690-9FB3A2AB95AB.jpeg

Unfortunately all the gears in the trans turned out to be rusty from lack of use, and upon full tear down, it became obvious it would be cheaper for me to just sell him a rebuilt unit off the shelf.
904876F3-2E85-4BB4-9407-7409F9915C6B.jpeg

On the appointed day I went back to the ranch and started the axle tear down. As soon as I opened up the locking hubs, it was obvious someone had been in the axle before. But why the duddy loose wheel bearings?

I kept going anyways. Once I had the left rotor off, I was appalled to discover the wheel bearing seal was mutilated. Installer error. Not like I’ve never damaged one before. But this one was really fubar, and unlike me, who can just go to the shelf and get another one, whoever did this had no spare, so they just put it together anyways!:bang:

At least now I felt better about signing him up for a teardown. The left knuckle was really tight, way past normal. When I popped the knuckle arm off, I discovered it had some aftermarket bearings with a taper I had never seen before. Sadly, I also eventually discovered (after tearing down the passenger side) thatthe rebuild kit must have come with exactly 8 shims, because they had been distributed evenly, two to a corner, regardless of preload requirements!

Last edited:
And I really freaked out when I hit the passenger knuckle arm to unseat it...and a cone fell on the floor! :eek:

I bent down for a look and discovered that indeed one of the lower knuckle nuts was gone!

And a second one was going!
D6CBB14E-9AEF-4F97-BEED-4D2324AB2ABA.jpeg

That just goes to show that even with abuse an FJ40 just keeps on going and going...

FYI looks like that mower could use a wheel alignment while your in there!

That just goes to show that even with abuse an FJ40 just keeps on going and going...

FYI looks like that mower could use a wheel alignment while your in there!

It is an interesting weedwhacker for sure. Actually designed that way. He’s got at least six acres in the immediate vicinity that are too difficult to handle with a riding mower.

And this is the truck you are/were rebuilding the harness for. I will call you shortly for an update.

So while I’m working on the front axle, I’m giving everything in the immediate vicinity a once-over. It occurs to me that the static position of the front shocks are too angled.
FBCD532C-9F22-4459-869A-E264A0F13712.jpeg

I’m looking at the leaf springs, and they are brand new CCOT units, PN stickers still on them. So I read one. PN makes no sense to me, except the last two digits, 40, and a letter code....R.

NO!!!

I turn the flashlight on my iPhone and look underneath the back of the truck.

40...F!

:headbang:

Customer is standing right there. I ask him what he thinks the letters F and R stand for.

Job security.

I thought I had posted up about the steering linkage, but I don’t see it now.

I brought a new steering rod up with me a couple of weeks ago and after I installed it, the owner told me that he had his old ones cleaned and powdercoated. That made me feel awkward for a minute...until he brought me his cleaned and powder coated ones.
C734ABE5-6DB5-4806-A2C8-521FA877B533.jpeg

Last edited:
The people who took his money for powdercoating never stopped to ask if it was appropriate to paint a bent part.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am amazed at what people bring me some times as well! I am sure we will see more as this build goes on.

So the same wrench that thought evenly distributing the knuckle shims was a better idea than measuring preload also apparently had VERY limited experience installing wheel seals. And also didn’t like admitting they made a mistake.

So they just reinstalled the rotor on the truck as is!
2EBD2655-07FA-4537-9825-0878382ECEF7.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to take pics, but the previous wrench also apparently had a hard time getting the rear drums off, so they ran bolts down the retainer holes in the axle shafts thinking it would pop the drum. They must have had some really long bolts, because they destroyed the shields on the back side of the axle shafts! :rolleyes:

With the axles basically reassembled, it was time to move on to swapping the ‘R’ springs from the Front to the Rear, and the ‘F’ springs from the Rear to the Front.

Not surprised to see another case of bowed barbell shackles. I of course brought along some of my dandy Mark’s Off Road Double Duty adjustable-gusset shackles to replace them with. ;)

Before:
6E5EAA1B-E5DC-446F-B09E-914027146BEA.jpeg

Note I took advantage of the accessability of the situation and also added a set of Mark’s Off Road Ubolt skidplates. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom