Builds Project Rehab (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stopped by the pick and pull today here in NC. Saw they had a T100 in stock. Got there and I think folks knew I was looking for a back window because all of them looked someone kicked them out

Well, it appears I was incorrect, the sliding glass on toyota truck started with the first gen tundra

Pulling the transmission and motor. Hopefully dropping off at the machine shop tomorrow.
20220714_155327.jpg

It looks perfect the way it is

It looks perfect the way it is
The PO said he thinks the crank is about to go. Im just going to freshen up the internals while its still out.

Called the machine shop when we were on the way to drop it off, but no answer.

Got to the shop just as he was locking up, so he took it in and I'll have to go back Monday to talk details.

20220715_160748_HDR~2.jpg

Thinking about getting a turbo cam and pistons kit so if I add a turbo in the future everything will be in place.

Let me know your thoughts. I have the weekend to think about it, and I'm sure I have a few weeks before they crack it open.

Got to the shop just as he was locking up, so he took it in and I'll have to go back Monday to talk details.

View attachment 3059973

Thinking about getting a turbo cam and pistons kit so if I add a turbo in the future everything will be in place.

Let me know your thoughts. I have the weekend to think about it, and I'm sure I have a few weeks before they crack it open.
Why not fit an LSA supercharger? There's not a lot of room between the frame rails to mess with turbos, but there should be plenty of room for a supercharger.

Why not fit an LSA supercharger? There's not a lot of room between the frame rails to mess with turbos, but there should be plenty of room for a supercharger.
I've glanced a time or two into the supercharger, but wanted to do something a pinch different because since my other LC is supercharged and intercooled.

The Aussies been LS turbo charging LCs for a while now. Even twin turbo.

Or. . .should I just pump my break?

First put this thing together and running well. Enjoy it. Then decide to turbo/supercharger?

Or. . .should I just pump my break?

First put this thing together and running well. Enjoy it. Then decide to turbo/supercharger?
Well there's no sense ripping the motor apart twice if you're going to put pistons in it later. Put the Pistons in now and you can always slap a cam in it down the road to match whatever you're going to do.

Following this one, can’t believe I missed this thread. Good seeing you today bro and look forward to the progress.
Yeah it's been a while since the last time we hung out. Hopefully we can do some wheeling together at Logan's Run.

Looks like progress to me. Should be a fun ride

Wasn’t hopeful in first round of pics but if you are ditching this corner and it’s not rotten I’d be interested. Can almost see the holes already but figured I’d ask. Have a pass side…looking for drivers now. Rocker/ wheel arch union

861D2859-F566-4EA5-9B5C-7977EEAB1930.jpeg

Looks like progress to me. Should be a fun ride

Wasn’t hopeful in first round of pics but if you are ditching this corner and it’s not rotten I’d be interested. Can almost see the holes already but figured I’d ask. Have a pass side…looking for drivers now. Rocker/ wheel arch union

View attachment 3061474
Right where you've circled is a rust hole. . . passenger side is good 🤦🏽‍♂️.

Well there's no sense ripping the motor apart twice if you're going to put pistons in it later. Put the Pistons in now and you can always slap a cam in it down the road to match whatever you're going to do.
Any piston recommendations?

Any piston recommendations?
I've always liked Wiesco and CP. But any of the big names make good LS pistons. I'd ask your builder what he prefers working with. Your builder should measure piston to wall clearance. If it has high miles you're probably going to need to bore it and replace pistons anyways.

If you do end up getting stock replacement pistons instead of forged (or keep existing ones), at least get a good set of rings. The OE aftermarket rings like sealed power, mahle, etc, have too much ring gap out of the box.

I'd stick to the factory lq4 CR if you're gonna go FI. That's what I'm going with on the LQ4 in my Yukon. I've got an LSA S/C collecting dust above my office

It was nice to meet you last week @White Sheep Subb'ed - this is very similar to what I would like to do to my '94. I had originally thought about swapping the locked axles to the '97 and selling the '94 off but am more leaning toward chopping it and making a crawler out of it.

Look forward to following the progress!! Hope I can join in on a workday with this

Chipping away little by little while I'm supposed to be working. Sent off the ECU to be flashed for the LS motor and picked up some steel and piping for the chop.

20220720_074903_HDR.jpg
20220720_074909_HDR.jpg
20220720_081034.jpg

Mark's 4WD delivery is quick as Hell. I ordered thier Transfer Case adapter and Oil Pan and Sump Pick up kit last Saturday and it arrived today.
20220722_140516.jpg

View attachment 3059973

My biggest regret with building my lq4 was not putting a stroker crank in it. For forced induction cam isnt as important as ring gap afaik, you dont want NA ring gap for forced induction. I like the results of the truck norris cam power curves personally though. If you have a big motor budget, you can make a LS very powerful in naturally aspirated form which can be especially nice in a land ceuiser where its usually preferred to veer on the path of mechanical simplicity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom