Builds Project Rehab (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok. He'll give me any and everything I want. How would I use the dash harness? I'm assuming the dash, but when "YouTube'ing" the swap, they show stripping the LC harness for the tach, speedo, oil temp, and something else.

I'm also planning to flash the ECU and get a wiring harness from PSI.

You don’t need anything from the GM dash harness, also I would skip the machine shop if it’s a good running engine

I think he said it needs a new cam. I'm going to get a master rebuild kit to freshen up the internals.

I second the thought on extending the wheelbase. We did 9" on my son's rig. I would say 7" would have been enough, and would have less issues with the turning. If I do it again, I would get another frame and avoid having two welds on each side.

Ok. He'll give me any and everything I want. How would I use the dash harness? I'm assuming the dash, but when "YouTube'ing" the swap, they show stripping the LC harness for the tach, speedo, oil temp, and something else.

I'm also planning to flash the ECU and get a wiring harness from PSI.

The cruise control, MIL, OBD2, IGN feeds, and a few other signals you'll need run through the dash harness. If you have the donor harness, you can plug right into the engine harness with the factory plugs, and keep the factory wire colors running into the cab to splice in to your dash harness. You pull out the plugs and wires you need from the donor harness. That also leaves you with a ton of extra wire of all different colors you can use for wiring things up and differentiating wires.

@Racefiend also are you going to remain using the electric throttle or switch it to the cable throttle?

I stuck with the electronic throttle. Mainly because I wanted to retain cruise control, and also for cleaner packaging. You'll need a 92 or older cruise control switch for easy integration into the GM PCM though any older Toyota switch should work.

I see you also want to get an aftermarket engine harness. I don't know if those aftermarket harnesses retain the factory wiring colors/stripes, but I doubt it. I stuck with factory harnesses al the way. This way, when the inevitable issues arise during the swap, or you have failures down the road, everything matches up when looking at the wiring diagrams from the donor vehicle. Makes diagnostics much easier.

You seen this one?

C54D8540-223E-4A7B-8430-9F2EFEBDF005.jpeg

Cheers

Had a great time at GSMTR this weekend. Did a little MUDship giving @cruisermatt a gift from @2fpower.
20220615_213157.jpg

and met some new members of Cruiser Matt's crew. This is @GearGeek's LS swap. She gave me the tour and will assist with answering questions when I do my swap.
20220617_183455_HDR.jpg
20220617_183459_HDR.jpg

Then I bought these tube doors for a GREAT price.
20220619_185056_HDR.jpg

The cruise control, MIL, OBD2, IGN feeds, and a few other signals you'll need run through the dash harness. If you have the donor harness, you can plug right into the engine harness with the factory plugs, and keep the factory wire colors running into the cab to splice in to your dash harness. You pull out the plugs and wires you need from the donor harness. That also leaves you with a ton of extra wire of all different colors you can use for wiring things up and differentiating wires.

I stuck with the electronic throttle. Mainly because I wanted to retain cruise control, and also for cleaner packaging. You'll need a 92 or older cruise control switch for easy integration into the GM PCM though any older Toyota switch should work.

I see you also want to get an aftermarket engine harness. I don't know if those aftermarket harnesses retain the factory wiring colors/stripes, but I doubt it. I stuck with factory harnesses al the way. This way, when the inevitable issues arise during the swap, or you have failures down the road, everything matches up when looking at the wiring diagrams from the donor vehicle. Makes diagnostics much easier.

Not only do the quality aftermarket harnesses like PSI and Speartech use the correct wire colors and genuine connectors, they also have all the wires you mentioned for MIL, ign, etc.

Have a look on the livin' 4x4 tube channel, SamR wheels his copped 80 pretty hard. Lives just around the corner from me too...

Have a look on the livin' 4x4 tube channel, SamR wheels his copped 80 pretty hard. Lives just around the corner from me too...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll binge watch it in a few.

Long day today and just getting home. @4LowandSlow and I went to pick up Rehab from @kutza's house (driving from NC to VA and back). Sadly he wasn't home for me to thank him in person and have a chat about LCs.

A few things we discovered like. . The lockers work 😁
20220701_142215.jpg

And what is this thing? 🤣
20220701_200820.jpeg

Loaded up on the trailer and dropped off @AJR's house where we'll do the chop.
20220701_143051_HDR.jpg
20220701_153810_HDR.jpg

But things could go too smoothly.
20220701_200958.jpeg

^^^ looks like you left a highway gator somewhere. Like this build idea, can't wait to see it cut up.
The tire blew up right in front of a BMW SUV. We thought the driver was going to pull off the road with us, but they kept going. . .I guess no harm no foul 🤷🏽‍♂️

Sub'd

I love a chopped.... anything. I'm just waiting for the day I flop mine to chop it. It's still too nice for now.

@BlueCruiser84 has chopped up a few good cruisers in his time. Maybe he'll chime in.

Nothing to add. Chopping is super easy. It’s the filling in the holes that takes a while.

Long day today and just getting home. @4LowandSlow and I went to pick up Rehab from @kutza's house (driving from NC to VA and back). Sadly he wasn't home for me to thank him in person and have a chat about LCs.

A few things we discovered like. . The lockers work 😁
View attachment 3047903

And what is this thing? 🤣
View attachment 3047913

Loaded up on the trailer and dropped off @AJR's house where we'll do the chop.
View attachment 3047911View attachment 3047910

But things could go too smoothly.
View attachment 3047912

May want to think about going to medical and getting up to date on your tetanus shot.

May want to think about going to medical and getting up to date on your tetanus shot.
Not tetanus, but might need rabies. Woke up at 3am this morning to scratching and thumping in the ceiling. I think I have a raccoon 🦝 in the attic 😑🤦🏽‍♂️. Pest control coming out shortly 🤞🏽.

Not tetanus, but might need rabies. Woke up at 3am this morning to scratching and thumping in the ceiling. I think I have a raccoon 🦝 in the attic 😑🤦🏽‍♂️. Pest control coming out shortly 🤞🏽.
False alarm on the racoon. It was a flying squirrel 🐿️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom