⚙️Project: rear difflock manual conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing where you mount the actuator in the cabin.

Small update:
after the rod has unfortunately jammed in the assembled state I finally found the problem after a long search. I have simply worked too accurately. The rod has 13.95mm in diameter. So it had offered to make a fit with which the milled adapter then had 14mm H8.
Unfortunately, this is just too accurate and if only a little force acts on the rod which is not linear, it clamps immediately.

Today I have drilled to 14.5mm and it now works perfectly. Tomorrow I still press the Bowden cable and then everything is mounted again and sealed.
😁🙌

Ps:
for the users of fantasy measurements
14mm = 0.551181 inch = 0.0178 average long eagle 😅😎

If I'm understanding correctly, you had a 13.95mm shaft sliding in a 14.00mm bore and it bound up? Opening the bore up to 14.5mm allowed the shaft to move correctly and not bind? .55mm seems like a lot of clearance, but can't argue with success.

If I'm understanding correctly, you had a 13.95mm shaft sliding in a 14.00mm bore and it bound up? Opening the bore up to 14.5mm allowed the shaft to move correctly and not bind? .55mm seems like a lot of clearance, but can't argue with success.
14H8 what means 14,027mm H8 ist the tolerance class. You pair tolerance classes for fits according to the use. For example, if I want to mount a bearing on a shaft, I need an interference fit, and if a shaft is to run in a plain bearing, I need a clearance fit. (No guarantee that certain technical terms have been translated incorrectly by me here).

Yeah I know .55 is a lot of clearance but to be clear the original housing from toyota had nearly the same clearance. All in all, the lock itself is also very banal and simple in design. The switching flag simply has to be pressed in the direction of the casing.
;)

Those metric tol classes are a PITA, although they aren't likely any less of a PITA than the SAE fits tables. They're just not what I'm used to. The SAE organization of the fits seems logical to me. The metric organization, not so much. Comes down to what you were educated in, I guess.

What do you bet that Toyota's Engineers went thru the same process that you just "got" to go thru? :)

Super interested also—not having to rebuild the factory motor (again) sounds amazing.

It's a different concern entirely, but some of the early trucks (60 series, 70 series, probably more) had factory cable lockers. Combining some of those factory interior parts with your cabling and housing could make for a fun retrofit.
Yes - my 1986 FJ60 has manual cable driven front and rear lockers. Not very smooth but they work and have for 35 years.

Last edited:
Everything is now installed (maybe not perfect but for the moment….)
I will test it tomorrow in the morning
23378FFD-7C85-4DCD-BCC9-D1463D819EFC.jpeg

Ps.: it is the small button on the handbrake 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom