Project or POS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

Pretty new to the Land Cruiser ownership club. Grew up riding in my dads. Briefly owned an 80, dumped it when it needed more $$$ than I had to give.

Recently was gifted this 98 with 289k on the clock by the original owner. Extensive service records were saved. The only thing he didn’t service was the daggone rust. Which is everywhere.

Would love to be able to do some light wheeling and 2-3 day trips with this. Runs like a top, new brakes, radiator and a whole lot more.

Is it worth paying someone to clean it up and fix a few (hopefully) small things like power steering leak and fuel leak (from somewhere above the tank). The rust concerns me.

Would like to put an OME lift and some more aggressive all terrains for the snow and mud around here (Maryland).

Thanks all for the input, hopefully I can stay apart of this exclusive LC owners club for awhile. I regret dumping the 80 for what was in hindsight a small issue.

D1166768-D209-4CF1-AE80-62DDE1A2DD53.jpeg

BD6E0832-FF0B-4C36-A3A4-6632D40F0298.jpeg

5C09B3D2-B3EB-4EA0-8929-9D4E713A896C.jpeg

09E51029-C835-43CF-8556-EE0C3354933A.jpeg

If I was gifted a perfectly running 100 with a body in that condition, I would look into what a rustless frame would cost or if salvageable, what it would cost to cut out rust and weld in new steel.

If I was gifted a perfectly running 100 with a body in that condition, I would look into what a rustless frame would cost or if salvageable, what it would cost to cut out rust and weld in new steel.
That’s what I’m leaning towards. I know frame swaps/repair can be big $$$

Is that an O2 sensor just dangling behind the transmission crossmember? I would assess what parts need to be repaired and get a few quotes before deciding what to do. First gnarly rust pic is towards the rear bumper...I wonder if that's part of the frame or removable/replaceable? I have quite a bit of rust under the rear bumper on my 05 as well but the rest of the frame is mostly surface rust. I plan to address or start addressing these issues by month end.

If the cost to repair is too outrageous, I would look for something I do want to keep but needs some work...without all the rust. Then your 98 can serve as parts for what you need. Maybe part out the rest for profit.

Is that an O2 sensor just dangling behind the transmission crossmember? I would assess what parts need to be repaired and get a few quotes before deciding what to do. First gnarly rust pic is towards the rear bumper...I wonder if that's part of the frame or removable/replaceable? I have quite a bit of rust under the rear bumper on my 05 as well but the rest of the frame is mostly surface rust. I plan to address or start addressing these issues by month end.

If the cost to repair is too outrageous, I would look for something I do want to keep but needs some work...without all the rust. Then your 98 can serve as parts for what you need. Maybe part out the rest for profit.
Yea the exhaust is all boogered up, not throwing any codes as of yet.

The Swiss cheese pic is on the outside of frame where it appears the body was supported. Doesn’t appear to be “structural” and certainly isn’t now, even if it was.

Don’t spend a dime on a it other than routine-ish maintenance. Drive it until it the day comes when you feel it’s done. Happy.

Don’t spend a dime on a it other than routine-ish maintenance. Drive it until it the day comes when you feel it’s done. Happy.
That’s the response I’m leaning towards. Probably not worth putting suspension and tires on, will end up taking them off before long. If i don’t break numerous things trying to get it swapped.

My 4R’s ass end has pretty bad rust but the middle and front are ok. Close up of the box frame near the front control arms, check around the fuel tank and fuel tank straps. Heat shields also tend to break loose.

This looks exactly like mine. Just keep it running well and mitigate the rust as you can. Por-15, Correseal, Eastwood rust encapsulator, angle grinder, wire wheels, and eye protection just became your best friends.

My 4R’s ass end has pretty bad rust but the middle and front are ok. Close up of the box frame near the front control arms, check around the fuel tank and fuel tank straps. Heat shields also tend to break loose.
ill get some pics. there is a fuel leak from somewhere above the tank. hoping its the fuel line not the tank itself.

This looks exactly like mine. Just keep it running well and mitigate the rust as you can. Por-15, Correseal, Eastwood rust encapsulator, angle grinder, wire wheels, and eye protection just became your best friends.
yes i think i can string it along. once i get the fuel leak fixed ill dive into some corrosion. if it looks salvageable, ill put a little money into lift and tires.

just protect it some and minor maintenance, drive it till it’s rotted. Yay NE living, the good part is it was free and you didn’t buy it!

Grind, clean, and find a buddy with a mig machine to weld in some nice patches ? Might be all it needs to keep going safely for years.

Look above rear axle at cross member, they rust out there pretty easily. If you don’t have any holes in the frame, wire brush it, use at least one gallon of corroseal all over the bottom rusty parts. Come back and hit it with wool wax or fluid film.

The location in question is circle in the pic. This area is rusty in most LCs around this area. This is a pic from an 01 that spent most of its life in Georgia.
F375CB80-BABF-49A5-8D5B-90EA955F3563.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom