Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well unfortunately while I had the cluster out messing with it apparently my ammeter deicided it didn't like being moved around so much and stopped registering.

Since the autometer temperature gauge I bought came in a pod with two other gauges (one being a volt meter), I decided to go ahead and swap that out too. No drilling required. It actually fits perfectly into the factory holes that held the ammeter .

Now that I don't have my main power wire running through the ammeter I should be able to run a larger alternator if I choose (upgrading the wires accordingly of course). I don't have any need for that now, but good to know that it's a possibility in the future .

20181211_123311.jpg

Another fun and cheap little project today. And hopefully a big improvement to cruising comfort!

Cab carpet.

20181212_140846.jpg

I know, I know. Carpet has killed many a cruiser floorboard, but I'm not the type of guy to just let moisture build up and sit around. My leaks are taken care of, and I'll be cleaning under this frequently because it's very easy to remove. It only covers the front half of the cab. I elected not to carpet under the seats for ease of removal and cleaning. That and most of the heat and noise is coming from up front anyway .

Picked up a 6'x8' piece of outdoor carpet (smoke grey) from home depot and cut sections to fit.

20181212_133414.jpg

I had some 1/4" sound and heat foil backed foam insulation leftover from lining my 348's engine lid.

That forms the base layer .

20181212_135057.jpg

Carpet sections were layered over the top.

20181212_133750.jpg

And everything is held together by a liberal amount of 3M super 77 spray adhesive. So it all should come out as one piece once it cures .

20181212_140734.jpg

Haven't driven with it yet. Hoping for a least a moderate reduction in noise and heat from the floor and trans hump.

I know it will never be a Rolls, but hopefully it will at least be a little better than a reverberating tin can

Just drove into my gym (about 12 miles on I-5), and the noise level is significantly lower!

No exact measurements, I might take some decibel readings on the way home and compare to running at highway speed with the carpet out, but it's definitely quieter.

Layers are key I agree. And I agree with you. Keep it dry it will be fine. I used Noico on the places that are covered with mats. Could not bring myself to cover the tranny hump.

Layers are key I agree. And I agree with you. Keep it dry it will be fine. I used Noico on the places that are covered with mats. Could not bring myself to cover the tranny hump.

Once the glue on this part cures I'm probably going to cover the top part of the hump as well and maybe get some insulation on the firewall as well.

Once the glue on this part cures I'm probably going to cover the top part of the hump as well and maybe get some insulation on the firewall as well.

I want to find something heat resistant to put under the hump.

80 series have a heat blanket on the firewall inside the bay.

55s have one inside the cab.

60s inside the cab.

Got some decibel readings with my phone on the way home tonight.

First is sitting at idle .

20181212_203754.jpg

Next up is normal around-town speeds

20181212_203809.jpg

And then 60mph on the highway

20181212_203733.jpg

Highway was actually reading a little higher most of the time (around 76 with a couple spikes up to 80) not sure what happened when I took this screenshot.

Not quiet obviously, but not that loud.

Next I'll have to pull the carpet and compare

Hey what’s that app? Does it do spectral SPL’s?

Slowly starting some undercarriage and drivetrain work now. Diff, trans and tcase fluids are on the list as well as replacing all the deteriorated 50 year old rubber.

Today I started with the anti-sway bar. Kit from $or was cheap enough and good quality. Nothing put up too much of a fight except for one of the link bolts needing cut off .

20181218_114227.jpg

20181218_135634.jpg

A little cleaning and degreasing before I tackle my fluid changes. Pulled the skid plate for ease of access.

Gel degreaser didn't get 100% of the crud on the first shot, but did get a lot of it. I'll do a better job cleaning it up before I put the skid plate back on.

Before

20181220_133505.jpg

20181220_133521.jpg

After

20181220_135621.jpg

20181220_135611.jpg

Just a side note .... but a fast one :)
Jan 18, 2019 to Jan 19, 2019 Scottsdale
https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1953-ferrari-250-mm-spider/
65303944-770-0@2X.jpg

Vettel inaugura a Maranello la mostra "Ferraristi per Sempre"
Sept.2018 .... my share indication in post :

In US $. Dec 28, 2018 4:41 p.m U.S.: NYSE. EST close $98.40 Ferrari N.V.
3 Month : - 28.13%
1 Year : -6.14%....
in Euro:

1 Year -2,49% .... still a hold position in my portfolio.... a small wave over the year ...no reason to panic.:)

Felice Anno Nuovo 2019.... Ferraristi

Last edited:
Have you done the shackle bushings yet? That’s a real fun one......

Haha! I'm not looking forward to it. It's on the list though along with new shocks and taking the spring packs apart to clean and lube with slip plate.

Highest priority at the moment is motor mounts. When I was changing the fluids I found the rear mounts in pretty bad shape. The passenger side is actually loose enough to move the donuts by hand .

I know it may not be on your priorities list but did you ever get a chance to do a video of your carb rebuild? Any help would be appreciated as I will be rebuilding mine this winter.

I know it may not be on your priorities list but did you ever get a chance to do a video of your carb rebuild? Any help would be appreciated as I will be rebuilding mine this winter.

I do have video. I just need to find some time to edit it all together. I'll try to get it up soon.

City Racer has the old round Motor mounts. That an easy swap really. I did all 4 on mine

I also saw the rear fixed spring pin the other day I think @Cruiser Corps. That’s the only end I did not do. I was scared to trash my spring pins getting them out.

Front springs bushings are 40 series. I recommend Energy Suspension.

The rear are actually the same as FJ55 bushings.

City Racer has the old round Motor mounts. That an easy swap really. I did all 4 on mine

I also saw the rear fixed spring pin the other day I think @Cruiser Corps. That’s the only end I did not do. I was scared to trash my spring pins getting them out.

Front springs bushings are 40 series. I recommend Energy Suspension.

The rear are actually the same as FJ55 bushings.

Thanks for the info. I knew it wasn't the same as a 40 kit, but wasn't sure what exactly I'd need to look for. I'm probably going to try and brave the rear pin as well. All of my rubber looks shot .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom