Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have run all my carbed engines at 800-900 rpm.

I have to rev mine pretty good at any incline to get it started. A lot of that is the crappy first gear ratio on the 3 speed

Yeah I'm finding that an idle around 800 gives me just enough to at least start with no throttle on a flat to slight incline. It doesn't like it that much, but it doesn't feel like it's lugging as much as it does with a 650 idle .

Still need to do a little tuning I think. Driving it around for a few days now and I've noticed a little ping in 3rd. May have a little too much advance at 12° PTDC. Might try bumping it back to 9 or 10 degrees and see how it acts then.

It's still leagues better than that Rochester carb.

Last edited:
Reinstalled my restored hand throttle today. Had to move the volume knob for my stereo to an unused hole on the heater controls. I actually think it's a better fit there. Maybe I'll even get another V knob and drill it out to match.

20181130_121337.jpg

You don’t have a heater but have the H knob? The volume knob is where the heater on/lo/hi fan pull knob goes.

You don’t have a heater but have the H knob? The volume knob is where the heater on/lo/hi fan pull knob goes.

I have a heater. Its just moved out of the way so i could access behind the dash easier

The fan switch is right beside the volume knob. The spot where the volume knob is was just blocked off with a round metal plug.

Last edited:
Oops, yeah, I’m brain dead. I added a heat shutoff valve to my ‘65 FJ40 for a FJ60 so that’s what I have in the H position, and the fan switch where your volume switch is. Funny how as time passes I forget more and more of my “OP” hacks.

Man, having a working hand throttle is REALLY nice for warming up on cold days! Makes my start-up a lot easier .

Choke out about 1/3rd. Pump gas 3 or 4 times, hold accelerator down about halfway and crank over until it starts. Pull the hand throttle out just a little to bump the idle up until she's warmed up a bit and then take off! Works great!

Started restoring some interior bits over the past couple of days. Didn't find a perfect match for the grey of the interior pieces, but Rust-Oleum Hammered Antique Pewter is pretty close, and everything will be getting this paint treatment so it will all match eventually .

20181204_115705.jpg
20181204_153703.jpg

Also contemplating a move to an autometer mechanical short throw temperature gauge. My current gauge is still not an accurate reading after replacing the sender unit and rewiring it. It still goes all the way to high when it's up to operating temp. It's not over heating as I've confirmed several times with my laser thermometer .

I have some extra dash clusters to play with so I'm going to see what I can put together and still look stock, but have an accurate temperature.

20181204_152605.jpg

20181204_152617.jpg

Messing around with that extra gauge cluster a little today. I think it looks good. Will probably go ahead and build this one up and set the original aside (will need to transfer speedo/odo cluster though)

20181206_131015.jpg

^x2. A pic of the backside mounting of the autometer in the cluster?

^x2. A pic of the backside mounting of the autometer in the cluster?

was posted above, but here's what i did... cut a slot in the plate the gauges mount to.

That's the only thing that kinda sucks about the mechanical gauge. You can't unhook the tubing to install it. Otherwise you'd just be able to drill a hole.

20181204_152617-jpg.1847229

Dang, another brain dump on my part. Didn’t realize that pic was the backside mount, duh! Nice creativity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom