Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vinegar bath did my small parts good!

20181118_195954.jpg

Another little project today. Restoring the stuck hand throttle knob.

The original cablecwas VERY stuck inside the housing and needed a lot of oil and heat to even get it to budge. I eventually came to the realization that I wasn't getting the housing off the cable if I didn't get the knob and solid shaft free of its housing. There is a cap at the end that can be removed and the housing can be pried apart at its seam with a small screwdriver.

20181120_210823.jpg

From there I was able to get to the solid shaft attached to the knob and clip the cable off the end of it allowing me to remove the knob.

I was eventually able to pull the cable from the housing by wrapping one of the ends around some needle nose pliers and going to town. (I decided to replace the cable, but wanted to retain the housing). Once the cable was free I cleaned the housing the best I could and let it soak in some Marvel Mystery Oil .

Onto replacing the cable. This poses some challenges because the solid shaft that allows partial pulling is actually fused with the flexible cable. You can't just easily remove and replace the cable. I decided the best course of action would be to try and solder the new wire on.

For the replacement cable I chose 18ga solid wire. The original cable is 16ga solid wire, but 18ga should move more freely in the housing and is plenty strong. (The steel galvanized wire they sell for picture frame hanging is perfect). I've heard of people using bike cables, but I tried to stay original.

To attach the cable to the shaft of the knob I first drilled a 1/16" hole in the shaft near the end. I then made a small hook at the end of the wire and threaded that through the hole, crimping the hook.

20181120_210209.jpg

I then soldered the wire in place
20181120_210307.jpg

After soldering I ground down the loop on the cable to be flush with the shaft (to make sure it can thread into the housing unimpeded)

20181120_210413.jpg

From there, thread the knob through it's housing, bend it all back together, add the end cap again then take the cable housing and thread the cable through that. Now you're done! You have a new cable!

20181120_210749.jpg

Interesting, I used to work as a metrologist at a pharma company. Now I’m a service rep to pharma companies throughout the southeast for a small private firm.

Last edited:
Was messing around with a timing light this weekend and did have some questions. Hoping someone can shed some light on timing an early Vac Advance distributor with a pertronix setup .

The threads I've found on timing are recommending 10° advance for pertronix setups, but I'm not sure if that's for the post '70 vac retard dizzys.

When I first started messing with timing I found it was set to about 5° advance at 650rpm, and I would have intermittent starting issues.

So I set it so the BB is on the pin when my light is set to 3° advance, which brings the TDC mark to the pin at 10° advance.

It starts up nice and seems to run fine at higher rpms I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing any damage by having so much advance when the advance continues to grow as the RPMs go up .

Can anyone she'd some light on this for me?

SD40 is freshly rebuilt and on the truck!

Still needs some adjustments so I'll likely be pulling it back off and going through it again as I'm getting hesitation/ stalling on throttle. Wondering if I put the wrong step-up rod in or if I don't have it adjusted correctly.

It idles beautifully though, and looks nice too!

20181126_141215.jpg

20181126_141206.jpg

21 years with a Pharma company......
How's your soul?

Was messing around with a timing light this weekend and did have some questions. Hoping someone can shed some light on timing an early Vac Advance distributor with a pertronix setup .

The threads I've found on timing are recommending 10° advance for pertronix setups, but I'm not sure if that's for the post '70 vac retard dizzys.

When I first started messing with timing I found it was set to about 5° advance at 650rpm, and I would have intermittent starting issues.

So I set it so the BB is on the pin when my light is set to 3° advance, which brings the TDC mark to the pin at 10° advance.

It starts up nice and seems to run fine at higher rpms I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing any damage by having so much advance when the advance continues to grow as the RPMs go up .

Can anyone she'd some light on this for me?

I'm not a carb/timing man by any means. I'd say two things. 1. Did you set timing with the vac line pulled? 2. If it doesn't ping, let'er ring!

I'm not a carb/timing man by any means. I'd say two things. 1. Did you set timing with the vac line pulled? 2. If it doesn't ping, let'er ring!

Yes. Pulled it to set timing hooked it back up to verify advance.

I guess I'm just so used to being paranoid AF about interference engines that when I get a non-interference boat anchor like this I don't really know what to do.

Okay pulled the carb off again, and stripped it down again.

Two things.

1. I had a check valve in a place it didn't belong (but where it fit perfectly oddly enough) and it was partially blocking a passage on my accelerator circuit. (See picture)

20181127_102059-jpg.1840950

2. I needed EVEN MORE advance than I was running with the rochester on the pertronix setup to get this to accelerate smoothly.

The rochester was running 10 degrees PTDC, I'm now running 13 degrees PTDC and it's smooth as silk....

Crazy....

Tuning tools. Vac gauge, timing light. Here's where it currently sits.

Idle at 650ish RPM pulling about 20inHg vac with 12° advance.

Seems to run pretty smooth like this, my only complaint is off idle it's pretty gutless. Doesn't really have the torque to idle up a slight incline in gear. Would it be the worst thing in the world to bump the idle up to 750-800 rpm or so?

20181127_201401.jpg

Tuning tools. Vac gauge, timing light. Here's where it currently sits.

Idle at 650ish RPM pulling about 20inHg vac with 12° advance.

Seems to run pretty smooth like this, my only complaint is off idle it's pretty gutless. Doesn't really have the torque to idle up a slight incline in gear. Would it be the worst thing in the world to bump the idle up to 750-800 rpm or so?

View attachment 1841351

no.
but do you need to idle up an incline?

the charm, and indeed one of the best parts of a well tuned good running f is the silky smooth low rpm idle. Always cool for me to see how low a vacuum leak free properly tuned f can idle. lean dropped 20 at 650 is great. i love turning them down at proper advance with no vacuum leaks just to see how slow they will go.

no.
but do you need to idle up an incline?

the charm, and indeed one of the best parts of a well tuned good running f is the silky smooth low rpm idle. Always cool for me to see how low a vacuum leak free properly tuned f can idle. lean dropped 20 at 650 is great. i love turning them down at proper advance with no vacuum leaks just to see how slow they will go.

I live in Portland. I wind up in a lot of stop & go. A slow idle crawl would be nice .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom