Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I set to work diagnosing my low beams, and figuring out my turn/tail connections. I was successful!

For the low beams I started at the front and worked my way back. First I ran a jumper wire from the battery (+) to the red/green wire terminal on the headlight assembly to verify that the lights themselves weren't burnt out. They were not. So out came the multi-meter.

I knew my light switch was good because all other lights come on and operate as they should. Just no low beams. Turning on the switch and testing the red/green at the bib junction gave me no voltage.

On to the dimmer switch on the floor. No voltage at that connection either. Flipping the switch brought the high beams on. Perfect 12V at all of those connections on the Red/Yellow wire at the switch and bib junction, and at the red/white coming into the dimmer switch.

That narrowed it down to a faulty switch or a break in the Red/Green wire somewhere in the harness. To narrow it down further I ran a jumper from the Red/White Power wire directly to the red/green low beam wire and voila! Low beams worked! Looks like I need a new dimmer switch...

20181107_104433.jpg

On to the turn signals. Through trial and error I was able to figure out which connections belonged to the front and rear markers respectively. Then adding one connection at a time to verify the operation of that light. Once I had everything wired up my turn signals worked, however hitting the brake pedal lit both the brake lights and the turn signals. Not great.

On a whim I disconnected the Green/White that I knew was supposed to feed the Brake Lamp Switch, and it worked! Correctly functioning brakes and turns! Completely puzzled why that worked. Logic would dictate that if you have a matching wire with corresponding connectors they should be connected right? Don't understand why this worked, but it did. My only guess is that maybe the brake lamp switch isn't original and has a slightly different operation?

20181107_110103.jpg

Overall glad to have all of that sorted. Now to get the truck running again. Decided to check spark and wasn't getting any. Looks like my points went bad. Went ahead and opted to go with a Pertronix setup, I'll carry around a spare set of points if I need to, but not having to fool around with adjusting the points is worth it to me.

Finished buttoning everything up today (except the dimmer switch, still running lights on the jumper until the replacement is in). Pertronix Ignition installed and it fired RIGHT up in less than a second and idled the smoothest i'd ever heard it!

Installed another circuit breaker. This time a 30A on the BR wire between the ignition switch and its splice into the main WL wire. I now have three separate breakers hopefully protecting me from any more electrical mishaps. Also functions as a pretty handy kill switch.

20181108_103510.jpg

Was even able to source some unobtanium from a local guy I found with an early 40 that he's customizing, and an ebay seller with some early parts.

Snagged this early style inspection lamp socket to replace my cracked one.

Before

20181030_143547 (2).jpg

After

20181107_142648.jpg

And a replacement H knob for the heater. (also have a replacement switch now, but really just wanted the knob because my switch is still good)

Before

20181108_163039.jpg

After

20181108_163238.jpg

This was also the first time i'd driven it since replacing all of the weatherstripping and putting the top and doors back on.

WE'RE RATTLE FREE!!!!!! It's not exactly quiet, but it's certainly closer to a library than it was before! A little louder than my old Jeep TJ was, but not by much.

Success!

Now maybe I can drive it for a little while before I have to take everything apart again (fingers crossed)

It's really the OEM door rubber. It's so thick I have to slam my doors to get them to.close now. Definitely keeps them in place now.

Yep. Mine is the same. The driver door is getting better but the passenger takes a full slam.

I’ve got a gas smell that’s getting annoying. I can’t find any leaks.

And it’s loud. I have long gravel driveway and hearing the tires release the gravel into the fenders is deafening

Yep. Mine is the same. The driver door is getting better but the passenger takes a full slam.

I’ve got a gas smell that’s getting annoying. I can’t find any leaks.

And it’s loud. I have long gravel driveway and hearing the tires release the gravel into the fenders is deafening

Have you tried replacing the sender unit gasket? I was getting a little bit of a smell and my gasket was getting a little ratty.

Exciting delivery today. Big window SD-40 carb! Thanks @Indygbd!

Production date codes out to 11/06/1963. So a little earlier than my truck, but who knows maybe it sat on a shelf for a bit after it was built.

Will be getting a dip and rebuild. Possibly plating depending on how fancy I want to be.

Kit is on the way.

20181117_155613.jpg
20181117_155633.jpg

20181117_155630.jpg

I learned the bottom piece(not sure what it’s called) is original in its blue color. Might not want to dip that and lose the color.

It was pretty dirty and the moving parts were pretty well gummed up.

Spent a little time getting the worst of the dirt off with dish soap and warm water. The top parts then went into the dip.

Throttle body actually cleaned up nicely with just the soap and water treatment which means I don't hurt that blue paint .

Small parts are soaking in distilled vinegar.

20181118_105422.jpg

Any chance you can do a step by step or video of the rebuild?. Couple of videos available on the newer carbs but not on the sd40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom