Project HJ: 24v - 12v power supply (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Paco

SILVER Star
Threads
My HJ61 landed so now the fun begins!

I have several projects in mind, one of them being a stereo and amp. My problem is the age old dilemma of the yellow wire for presets and memory. I am worried about drawing down one of the batteries. To compound this, it is not a daily driver. Once a week at best, but can sit for two weeks at a time. Hopefully not the case this summer as I plan to be out as much as I can with this rig...

I read through a lot of threads on 24v to 12v converters and never really found the ideal solution. If there is one out there and I missed it I apologize for bringing it back up. Please send me any links. I don't want to do a 3rd battery and alternator.

I am working with a radio shop and they suggested using a 24v to 12v step down from Aweking:

Aweking Converter

I am not in love with this one, but has anybody used it? My preference would be one of the Solar converters but most of the ones in the threads I saw were no longer available. Did the company get bought out?

I did find this 20 amp one that seems like it would work:

Samlex 20 amp converter

Also I am confused by how the converter is wired up - directly from the batteries or from the ignition lead with a relay? The other thing I need to confirm is that I am a negative ground system. My rig is European (LHD Yeah!) but I saw one post with a positive ground. I have a rudimentary understanding of electrical engineering, but for the most part I forgot those classes when I went structural.

Any advice, links, wiring diagrams, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

You could add a second (or 3rd) battery (12V) and a DCDC charger (24V -> 12V) to keep it charged. If you went that route I'd go to to effort of putting in a fuse block to distribute and fuse the 12V power out to your other 12V accessories that you'll probably want in the future. Not sure whats available stateside, locally in Australia I'd use something like this: 4-Stage 24V to 12V DC to DC Battery Charger, 40A | Jaycar Electronics

That is an excellent idea - had not thought of that. Thanks!

I wonder if anybody else has something like this...

I found one at PowerStream:

PowerStream

The question now would be where to place a 3rd battery.

That Samlex is the same as what I have in my rig. And yes, ground is negative.

The Yellow wire is the bane of my existence- years ago I put in a battery charger that would charge a little gel cell to keep the memory wire active. Unfortunately, the stupid way all these radios is wired is that the trickle feed wire for memory is also the main draw wire the the radio is running (as it seems you are aware) - This draws down the the gel cell very quickly and made my system useless...
It could work if the 3rd battery was significantly larger than the gel cell that I put in, like what you seems to be planning in your last post...

If I was starting from scratch, I would look hard at two options for head units- either a 24 volt unit, or a unit that uses flash memory for settings storage, and doesn't need a constant feed of power. Jensen makes one that looked pretty interesting...

I'm pretty sure that "non volatile memory" means that it doesn't need to be fed power continually, but this should be verified- I don't actually have this unit...

First off its a euro truck, are u sure it's 24v? If it is just run a wire directly from your high side battery to the converter. Youll only run into drainage problems if u run 12v power from a battery and not 24.

I used a Pyle 30a converter. Pulled a 10ga wire from 24v high side battery to cutoff switch. Cutoff switch to converter. 12v out from converter to mini fuse box and the fuse box supplies radio and cig lighter for charging.
I never listen to the radio (CDs or use usb) so its not an issue with the memory wire for me.

Hi Paco

Congratulations for your HJ61 . It is one of the best Land Cruisers ever . If you need just a radio , I strongly advise you not to use voltage converters , but a 24 volt radio instead . Modern ones will keep their presets even when the batteries are disconnected . There are several options , Blaupunkt , Kienzle , Continental , VDO all of them have excellent models with or without CD , handsfree , bluetooth , some with DAB ( digital audio broadcast , that is replacing FM in Europe - In Norway there is no more FM , just DAB ) . I use the Kienzle MCR2416BTK in my HJ61 , and it works great . Just hook it to the acc connection ( small black box , next to your air filter box ) , an aerial and you are ready . Link to kienzle.de below

I bought mine from schlauer-shop24.de . Link bellow direct to their 24 volt radio selection .

There are several more options of 24 volt radios , I just like the Kienzles as they are very well built , not too expensive , very reliable and they look nice too .

If you need more accessories it is best to add a third battery and a DCDC charger 24-12 volts as suggested by Duncanrm .

Enjoy your HJ61 !

I have a 24v to 12v converter. The converter is made to keep memory on the radio and not drain one of your batteries. I have left the cruiser sitting for 2-3 months and no issues with dead batteries. I can get pictures for you if you are interested.

so i feel compelled to ask again, are u sure it's 24v? I thought all euro and middles eastern lefties were 12v? One of my dream trucks is an HJ61 LHD 12volt 5 speed standard with dual cable lockers!

so i feel compelled to ask again, are u sure it's 24v? I thought all euro and middles eastern lefties were 12v? One of my dream trucks is an HJ61 LHD 12volt 5 speed standard with dual cable lockers!

Hi diesel69er

All European spec HJ6# are 24 volts , no exceptions . Cable lockers were a very expensive option when new , and they are not very common to find . Wish you luck finding your dream HJ61 !

Thank you Port! I had looked at 24v stereos but only us and the selection was limited. I will look into Kienzle units.

Diesel69er - yes it is most definitely a 24v rig.

I have a new in the box soundstream MC120 that I would like to wire in but am not worried about continuous power for that so I will likely go with a converter for that.

Drenmaster - can I get pictures of yours?

Thanks all! A work in progress and audio will be one of the later items as I need to focus on some mechanical upgrades first.

So I could not get any good pictures with it installed because it's under the front seat. Not sure if you came across this thread of mine from when I was installing it. More an explanation of how to wire it than a write up for the install. If you go this route feel free to shoot me any questions.

I bought mine while I was in Japan. I found this one on rakuten if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom