Builds Project HAZARD DUTY LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Camping in the mountains of Tennessee near the North Carolina border
IMG_2411.JPG

Time for another update.

Just completed a 5,200 mile trip from NC to CA and back. The trip was awesome and the cruiser ran a fun performed flawlessly. I pulled my Horizon trailer the whole trip.
874C95DF-FBD8-42B1-8083-8DB23E417D70.jpeg
Packed and ready.

Trip preventive maintenance included
new EBC brakes front and rear. Flushing old brake fluid out.
New power steering fluid.
“1 gallon” transmission fluid change
Motor oil and filter change.

Shots of the LX450 in Afton Canyon on the Mojave Road
FA09CE2A-C2A9-4543-B5CA-4B79EFB02E85.jpeg
767516B5-B9C7-459B-9225-0F27C42D7FDA.jpeg

If anybody is interested I made 4 videos of my trip.

Check out my YouTube channel and let me know what you think of the videos. I am still learning how to make videos but it’s better than nothing.

Check out
YouTube for videos and Instagram for more pics @OntheXadventures

13CF7748-8504-45B3-B4A6-364917B94F9E.jpeg
498B346E-AD97-44BD-AFE3-E42D5F4F201F.jpeg
Half way through my trip and after the Mojave portion we headed back to Vegas. While I’m vegas I found a DIY garage and decided to rent a lift for 2 hours to inspect the land cruiser and do some maintenance since I was already close to 3k since the trip had started.

I went ahead and changed the engine oil again as well as another 1 gallon transmission fluid change. I went ahead and drained and filled the 3rds and transfer case since I hadn’t done gear oil change in 30k miles. I also crossed the Mojave River the day prior and wanted to ensure there was no issues with the water getting in there somehow. The Fluid in the front and rear looked brand new but the transfer case fluid looked pretty dark.

Time to get ready to drive to RUBITHON 2018.

In no particular order these are some of the things I have to do to the LX450.

The 2 major things I want to do to prep the vehicle are:
Slee skid plate
bigger tires

The slee skid plate will get ordered in a few months along with their stainless brake hoses.

But today I picked up some 315 bfg mt km2 tires. which will get mounted before the rubicon trip in June.

9DF8D6A1-AF86-4794-A353-36E225D08310.jpeg

Still have to find a spare but I have plenty of time for that.

Stumbled across your thread and been admiring your build. Looks sweet! I have the exact same color LX and plan on doing a lot of the same mods so it's cool to see how they will turn out.

Is this picture near Boone? I went to college there and swear I've driven on this road before, I think there was some mini-horses in that pasture.

I believe that picture is on the Tennessee side on the border between NC and TN.

Ok update

Due to weather and work the lx has been sitting in the yard since I parked it when I got back from my California trip.

I replaced the ignition switch and starter and could not figure out the starting issue that lead me to hot wire the car all the way from Death Valley back to NC.

Well I finally found the issue. When I installled the new starter I bent the little metal tab that makes contact with the solenoid wire which energizes the starter. Pulled the starter yesterday and resent the tab and reinstalled it with no issues.

Have skid plates in the mail and changing oil to daily drive it for a few weeks.

Still need to find locked axles or just arb lock the ones I currently have.

Oh and I found a spare tire for the 315s.

Rubicon prep is on the way.

Just found my build thread again. Haha!!

Wow, it’s been a while since I last posted here.

Lots has changed with my 450 and I have been enjoying the hell out of it since my last post in this thread.
I should update this thread more often.
Here are some pictures for now.

Camping trip in VA
FFCAA9F5-4CE3-427C-9293-7140C191CE3E.jpeg

CA/NV border on the Mojave rd.
45C49916-DE1F-456C-9309-970804FC479D.jpeg

RUBITHON 30 Rubicon trail CA
CA
F22F7964-4301-41BB-8754-7F7D9918DDAD.jpeg

Dry lake bed
70196B8C-FF24-4D90-AC4D-C7411FE03D4F.jpeg

My update for the year. The landcruiser sat in the back yard most of the year. Been driving my other vehicles and working on other projects.
updates to the landcruiser include:

New leather front seat covers from LSEAT

new starter and house battery

had to replaced the AC controller behind the dash becasue it got fried due to water leaking in from the window.

just got done having the head gasket replaced. The machine shop left my head looking better than new. Wanted to knock out the head gasket aa preventive maintenance.

plans for 2021
Paint and body the whole truck
maybe new tires and rims.
Def new seats. - I keep stripping the gears in the stock seats and although super comfortable. I am kind of done with them at this point.

Pics
8FC9BDC1-168A-4FA2-8CEB-293363D1805C.jpeg
5B5FAF97-B095-4708-89F7-B04C5FD61C59.jpeg
072028B7-F51F-40A9-BAB4-25935A10C8DB.jpeg

Been driving the landcruiser for the week trying to get all the kinks out from the head gasket job and got tired of the stock seat being stock way forward so I replaced it with one from my other projects. This is how I have been driving to test out the seat until I decide if I want to buy a new pair.
02F9DAA5-4E41-4929-A899-717E473B9357.jpeg

Getting the rig ready for a break years trail ride with some friends.
replaced the driver side gears for the third time. I really hope this time they don’t strip.
Also ordered up oem Toyota exhaust gaskets, magnaflow y pipe, O2 sensors to have the complete exhaust redone.
With the new head gasket I am getting 14 mpg. I am hoping that the new exhaust will improve it a little more.

Update for august 2021

upgraded 4 corner brake rotors to slotted and drilled style Along with new pads. Hoping this improves the brakes on this thing.

all new oem bushings for a complete suspension overhaul.

new fuel filter

developed a CEL for the rear knock sensor. Replaced both knock sensors with new oem but still getting the CEL once I go over 1900 rpm. My buddy is looking into what the issue might be for me.

bought 5 new all terrains for the 80. Decided to go back to 315/75/16 size. The 80 is very sluggish now so the plan is to regear to 4:88. I just have to find the time to pull the thirds and drop them off at the shop.

the plan is still to repaint the whole truck before the end of the year. Just been working on other projects so will probably bring it to a body shop once I plug all the holes from when I removed the plastic

Update for august 2021

upgraded 4 corner brake rotors to slotted and drilled style Along with new pads. Hoping this improves the brakes on this thing.

all new oem bushings for a complete suspension overhaul.

new fuel filter

developed a CEL for the rear knock sensor. Replaced both knock sensors with new oem but still getting the CEL once I go over 1900 rpm. My buddy is looking into what the issue might be for me.

bought 5 new all terrains for the 80. Decided to go back to 315/75/16 size. The 80 is very sluggish now so the plan is to regear to 4:88. I just have to find the time to pull the thirds and drop them off at the shop.

the plan is still to repaint the whole truck before the end of the year. Just been working on other projects so will probably bring it to a body shop once I plug all the holes from when I removed the plastic
Love this thread- would love to know the points hit in NC..trying to plan an inaugural trip with my daughters when it's not so damn hot out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom