Builds 1964 FJ45 Short Bed Fixed Top Pickup Restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But weighing in at two feet long, there would be no hiding that puppy

A65510CF-640B-42B3-B4B2-7D94454D0B60.jpeg

We crawled all under the bed and along the frame rails, but something was always in the way, or if we found a good spot, would be impossible to fill the master.

Then we were standing there at the front of the truck when the rest of the message came through…

Fill the massive void on the passenger side. Mirror the master cylinders on the firewall.

Great troubleshooting going on...

I have never had to consider something like this (remote master) before, but if I do, this is a option I'll refer to.

I was thinking how cool it would be to retain the stock "tin can" reservoirs from an early rig (at least something that "looked" stock) yet still be running a hydro-boost system.

We crawled all under the bed and along the frame rails, but something was always in the way, or if we found a good spot, would be impossible to fill the master.

Then we were standing there at the front of the truck when the rest of the message came through…

Fill the massive void on the passenger side. Mirror the master cylinders on the firewall.

Was shifting the engine towards the pass side an option?

Are the two aliens in the pic a premonition of the dual motor build?

We left off trying to fit this monster contraption in the glove box:

A512D755-D66D-4602-A18E-DE504CDFDC81.jpeg

Some internet detective work turned up a cool adapter piece that allows you to mate a slave directly:

6935A492-F139-401E-9333-2B4ADED83AD4.jpeg

E067F98B-D84C-4640-B6B2-B4DF7F502DF6.jpeg

Which became a much smaller problem to manage:

6A791B8A-3629-467B-A614-2CA22C445A6F.jpeg

All of our calculations led us to believe that part of the adapter/slave would come through the firewall at the same spot as the glovebox floor.

With a little alien luck, both the punch and drill bit walked on the bumps of the liner Nolen sprayed on the firewall, shifting our hole down just enough to only barely scratch the underside of the floor with the hole saw:

EC0B2EF9-366D-4D04-9F8C-74952E37A2D3.jpeg

We got a second helping of good luck when we found out that we can fully access the bleeder from below, so no glove box will be occupied or harmed. (Forgot to take a pic)

All of our calculations led us to believe that part of the adapter/slave would come through the firewall at the same spot as the glovebox floor.

With a little alien luck, both the punch and drill bit walked on the bumps of the liner Nolen sprayed on the firewall, shifting our hole down just enough to only barely scratch the underside of the floor with the hole saw:

View attachment 2733770

We got a second helping of good luck when we found out that we can fully access the bleeder from below, so no glove box will be occupied or harmed. (Forgot to take a pic)
Luck is a definition of skill!

So you have a small master attached to the pedal which operates a slave which operates the hydroboost which operates the brakes?

So you have a small master attached to the pedal which operates a slave which operates the hydroboost which operates the brakes?
Plumbing required.

Ok, so small master attached to the pedal with a line going to a slave which operates the hydroboost with lines going to the brakes to operate them... :p

Add in proportioning valves, residual valves, tees, metering valves, combination valves, flex lines, disc/drum setups, etc. as necessary...

Ok, so small master attached to the pedal with a line going to a slave which operates the hydroboost with lines going to the brakes to operate them... :p

Add in proportioning valves, residual valves, tees, metering valves, combination valves, flex lines, disc/drum setups, etc. as necessary...
Don’t forget that to operate the pedal:

Well, your toe bone connected to your foot bone
Your foot bone connected to your heel bone
Your heel bone connected to your ankle bone
Your ankle bone connected to your leg bone
Your leg bone connected to your knee bone
Your knee bone connected to your thigh bone
Your thigh bone connected to your hip bone
Your hip bone connected to your back bone
Your back bone connected to your shoulder bone
Your shoulder bone connected to your neck bone
Your neck bone connected to your head bone

There’s a duplicate system for the clutch.

Rotunda wasn’t on the schedule today, but when I walked in, she winked at me and gave me that look. I walked over to flirt for a minute and was immediately distracted from anything else.

While I was leaning in, the thermostat housing outlet caught my eye. It was pointed in entirely the wrong direction to send a hose to the radiator. We noticed this ever since we dropped the motor in, and put it on the back burner for later.

Well today, while it had my attention, a little birdie* told me that we could carve up all of the factory 1FZ parts and make them work.

I thought I should at least grab a marker and eyeball some cuts before starting what was on my calendar. Five minutes tops.

The upper water outlet was easy enough to plumb but wasn’t going to line up in a very appealing manner. The outlet on the motor didn't line up with the upper radiator inlet. It needed to be and inch or so closer to the motor.

6D032BF8-73B2-4D09-B921-5199DCF6661F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom