Builds 1964 FJ45 Short Bed Fixed Top Pickup Restoration (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some nice parts showing up in the RustNailRacing stable for this build.
For those that don't know me. I have been a Land Cruiser guy since I was 13 or 14 bought my first 1984 FJ60 when I was 15. I am now 43 and have had had the pleasure of working on hundreds of LCs over the years. We have a proven track record of tough 9.5s with our 4600 class King of the Hammers car. Built LC diffs racing the toughest desert and rock races in the world zero ring and pinion failures ever!
View attachment 2226332View attachment 2226335
Justin,
What comes in the spaceship box????????

The Plan.

This truck is just amazing and I’m shocked it was still for sale. But I think the reasons it is still for sale are probably also the reasons for which we are about to do what we are going to do......it’s just an old slow truck that has a hard time in today’s world. I really like to drive my trucks and want to make this 45 as enjoyable as possible. I spoke to a few other 45 owners (@wngrog included) and they all generally shared the same opinion....the 45 could certainly get some modern day improvements that would greatly enhance the enjoyment factor.

First and foremost, we do not intend to cut up the 45. Everything that is taken from the truck will be stored in my climate controlled warehouse so the truck could go back to its original state at any point. Second, I’m not selling anything off this truck because I truly intend to preserve everything for it’s future.

The plan is slowly evolving but so far a lot of parts have been procured and we have formed a committee of sorts to moving things along. The truck probably won’t be painted but the body is coming off so we can basically have a brand new frame and drivetrain. The axles, transmission, transfer case, and engine are all coming out for some cool Toyota additions. Yes everything that comes off will be saved and stored in my possession.

We are going to run four-wheel disc brakes with a 70 series full floater rear end and a 40 series front end. @orangefj45 sent over some Harrop electronic lockers (front and rear) to @RustyNailJustin for the third member assembly with 3.70 gears.

@orangefj45 is now working on the transmission and transfer case set up. We are going to use the H42 4-speed along with a split case and some 3:1 reduction gears.

We have @lcwizard working on the front and rear bumpers, along with his awesome u-bolt flip kits that worked so well on Project Mustard.

@FJ60Cam is dreaming up a pretty cool engine setup. Cam: feel free to share any info you want about the engine when the time is right. I know we are still in the planning stages right now but I can at least tell you it will be Toyota.

We also have @Onur hustling up sweet OEM Toyota parts to keep this thing humming right along. He has been invaluable in the planning stages to intro us to people and parts to make sure this truck is absolutely perfect when its finished. His former company was “Parts AND Consulting” and I don’t think enough people realize the value of his “consulting” - especially on a project like this one.

And there is obviously @wngrog. He is just as excited about this truck as I am. Also, he already owns a sweet 45 long bed so he brings a really unique perspective to the project. Another added plus is he is only a 2 hour flight for me so I can hop over for lunch and eyeball the progress.

Right on, sad it didn’t come to me but we are far far away from each other and you have the right guys working on it.

I know you are watching the 45 we are building right now, if I get the H55 from @cruiseroutfit I am ready to start fabbing and building. It’s the last thing we need. Been rounding up parts from USA, Japan, Australia and the Middle East since November. You know how it goes John. ;)

Cheers

I am the hater of the diesel.

I dont care a whole lot for the H55 either.

Portals? Ain’t nobody got time for dat.

Everyone has their thing.

When John first showed me the 64 and said 1HDFT I wasn’t very excited. I personally don’t think it should go in a SWB pickup even if I am putting one in a long bed. To me they are very different trucks.

Diesels are rad though, especially the 24-valve version. But again, not for everyone or every mechanic for that matter.

Cheers

The Eagle has landed

I’m pretty sure every photo I have of this truck to this point is fuzzy. I hope that’s not a bad sign.

D13C3F3E-E922-43A4-8AB3-FB850C794F9A.jpeg

Holy cow I’ve missed this somehow! Sub’d and already loving it.

Me too. Somehow I missed how I got caught up in this lunacy

Right on, sad it didn’t come to me but we are far far away from each other and you have the right guys working on it.

I know you are watching the 45 we are building right now, if I get the H55 from @cruiseroutfit I am ready to start fabbing and building. It’s the last thing we need. Been rounding up parts from USA, Japan, Australia and the Middle East since November. You know how it goes John. ;)

Cheers
I’ve already got the “getting to you” part figured out. Next build will be one that is very drivable already so I can just road trip it each to Idaho and then back.

Time to dig in.

Contrary to my belief, the porch did not collapse under the weight of parts......but only because UPS was putting theirs directly in my shop

E4B76E34-1C1D-4F09-A8DC-DADC1F84CC10.jpeg

31E50126-1237-49E0-9CDD-C59FECD4185F.jpeg

I will make sure my wife doesn't see the pic of that porch!! Or I will know what my next hunny do will be!!!

I guess it has to be a V8. That dual-carb offy setup would be skookum. Just saying. 😛

Any ideas on rear windows?

Your abode rocks. Love the wrinkled glass. But I bet it’s a paperwork-PITA to make improvements.

I guess it has to be a V8. That dual-carb offy setup would be skookum. Just saying. 😛

Any ideas on rear windows?

Your abode rocks. Love the wrinkled glass. But I bet it’s a paperwork-PITA to make improvements.

The dual offy won’t work on that? Mosley must be confused

Well.......this build thread is about to change a bit. Let’s just say the 63 has the Corona......it’s not a lost cause but I’m not sure we want to touch it right now. - it’s going to self-quarantine. Let’s just leave it at that. We are going back to the original plan on the beige 1964. I’m going to walk off the stage now as the riot ensues.

I’d like to interject that I would not hesitate for one second to execute the initial plan on this 1964 because cars built in 1964 drive and stop like s***.

Still the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom