Project Gryffin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have posted so many "help" requests in the past that I thought I'd create one thread for all my woes.

I am still rehabbing my rust-affected FJ-80 and running into challenges as I go. The latest installment is breaking off a bolt on the fuel filler tube brace. This darned thing sits right behind a frame brace and there is no way to get to it. I tried welding a nut to the Japanesium bolt. Which broke off. I tried to drill a hole in the bolt through a hole in the frame brace. I could only get access via a long drill bit (any normal ones didn't reach) and it went off-center. Welded more nuts. MANY. Even welded a hex wrench to it to see if it will fit. You cant really reach back in there, but I tried my best. They all broke off.

I am considering the following:
1) Just put one bolt in there. REJECTED
2) Cuss and walk away from it for a bit. DONE
3) Cut a square piece out of the mount point (all the way around), add a weld-nut to it and weld it back in. - There is no way to get a tool in there for the cutting.
4) Cut a hole from inside the cabin and come at it from the top. LAST RESORT

Those bolts might break easily, but boy can they rust-weld into a nut! Better than an actual weld.

Any other thoughts? I can imagine that getting a tap in there would be great fun also.

IMG_9362 Large.jpeg
IMG_9363 Large.jpeg

IMG_9364 Large.jpeg
IMG_9366 Large.jpeg

Last edited:
Went with a friend to an auction and bid on a lot of tools. Some Chinese items, but predominantly Proto, SK, Craftsman.

Good haul for $25.

IMG_9581 Medium.jpeg

Removed the transmission crossmember and started rust treatment. The old reverse electrolysis tank was too small, so bought a larger one. Good that the whole part can fit in there. Considered for a moment just dipping the whole truck in the swimming pool......

IMG_4068 Large.jpeg
IMG_9584 2 Medium.jpeg

Part came out very well. Now just time to paint and reinstall. Had the hardest time getting the broken bolts (from PO this time, not me!) out. Had to weld them several times, but finally got them out.

IMG_9602 Medium.jpeg
IMG_9603 Medium.jpeg

Those bolts might break easily, but boy can they rust-weld into a nut! Better than an actual weld.

Any other thoughts? I can imagine that getting a tap in there would be great fun also.

View attachment 3234740
UPDATE - I had no takers to offer advice. I got an extension for my Dremel, fished it through the frame rail and spent a few hours drilling it out.

IMG_9600 Medium.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom