First trip was a super successful shake down, I honestly can't be more happy with how capable and stable this rig is, a whole new level of confidence driving. Gearing is perfect and everything worked butter smooth other than the front driveshaft not having a long enough slip. Popped out on first ledge but thanking was going slow so no damage was caused. Popped it back in and continued on. Played on the daniel hill climb about 6 times learning new lines and learning the capabilities and nothing seemed to put me stuck in my path. Just dents and scratches, Sorry @forrest5000
So on the list was to fix the front driveshaft and add some rock lights, i got a long slip from where i bought greaser so i cut and welded a new driveshaft, will have to see how it does next time out. Got some cheap rock lights from amazon that are actually pretty bright and work well, added the switches where the factory rear window switches are so they are clean and convenient to use. Added rear lights and a front light bar lights for future lights. Plan on adding flush rear lights when i build the rear bumper and ill figure out something for the front, Might be pods, but for now I'm happy.
Ahhhhhh just how I wanted things to go, install a cam, install goes too smooth. lash the valves and start it and let it run at 1750rpms for 25 minutes. let it cool down and lash the valves again to ensure they're in spec and which they were. drive it and it does great, really got some low end pep back in the old girl. decide to drive it to the gym at midnight thinking nothing could go wrong. Little did i know my workout was going to be pushing it off the road and walking partway home lol. cruising about 55 in 5th gear and give it some load and PING, with a lot more pings and no power. immediately turn in off and coast to a stop and figure out wtf just happened. eventually get it home and get in the cruiser to resume my drive to the gym to get rid of my new fueled frustration. well next day I pull it apart and figured out yet again I'm the luckiest person alive. Somehow I snapped the top of the valve off at the keep which allowed the valve to drop, somehow didn't hit anything but the piston and no damage to the cylinder walls.
Called a buddy with a Toyota junkyard and asked if he had any 22re heads that could get me by for a couple weeks. he said he had a few but didn't know if they were any good. after 3 bad heads I kind of lost hope until there was a black 87 4runner with what seemed to be a good head. 1 hour later and $100 spent I pulled myself a new head and it wasn't warped, the cam spun like butter! pick up some intake gaskets and a head gasket from the advanced and head on home to expect to slap this thing on and get it running in one day. Since I'm so lucky that did not happen. I blame all the heat as it felt like 105* outside that day I failed to see the amount of solid materials in the coolant passages from what seemed to be fix a head gasket. Still yet determined 2 hours later I got all the crap out of the head and started making headway again.
here I am at about 10pm, head and cam are in, exhaust and lower are on and wiring starting to go back together but as I'm about 10 hours straight into working on this thing I've lost all my drive. I still keep on for another couple hours cleaning and putting stuff back together. get everything but the cam gear on and valve cover, I for some reason just could not get it on for the life of me. so I decided to throw in the towel and resume tmr as I was 12 hours into this thing all day. Next day of course the cam gear goes right on. and lash the valves yet again and she pures to life yet once again. was only down for about a day and a half. fixed a couple leaks I had and double checked everything and took it on the first drive. definitely notice a power difference with this head but not anything too crazy. been watching the coolant temps pretty close cause of the head but so far so good. will drop the head off at the machine shop to get buttoned up and do it yet once again! till then will be taking her pretty easy.