Chaos - 1987 Toyota 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm down with this whole build "like 4 flat tires!"

Progress is progress
IMG_0081.jpg

The truck that is probably gonna make me hate wiring. But the tear down begins

F70FBF17-559A-4EE8-B489-850EBAD68431.jpeg

Last edited:
The truck that is probably gonna make me hate wiring. But the tear down begins
But if you take your time and follow a good schematic then you'll feel like a king when almost everything works the first time. Just don't tell anybody or they'll be looking to you for expert answers to insane electrical questions that there's no way in hell you'd have.

My first auto electrical experience was installing a new prebuilt harness into an MG of some sort. The old harness was already removed. The dash was from a different model year, modified to fit. The controls weren't the same. The colors on the new harness weren't correct. There were no connectors on the wires (which helped when fishing it through some god-awful tight spaces). Thank god there weren't many circuits on that thing. Similar to a 40.

Get yourself a good soldering iron, several sizes of shrink wrap and a good wire stripper. Stay away from crimp connectors, heat shrink them if you must use them. Use heat shrink with adhesive on the inside. Make sure all your wires are not pulled to stress.

It WILL frustrate you. Step back and come back to it with a clear head.

One circuit at a time :)

Stan and all - thoughts on these things? Overpriced? You can use a heat gun and it supposedly provides a solder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0EZBYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't know, Jamie. I want to like them, but a proper solder connection is made by heating the parts and flowing solder into/onto them, not by melting it around them. I heard about these things last year but haven't done any research yet. Can you buy them and ship it to me for R&D???

I agree with John. Solder joints are something I do not have to worry about once done.

Stan and all - thoughts on these things? Overpriced? You can use a heat gun and it supposedly provides a solder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0EZBYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heat guns get pretty hot, and low melt solder flows just like regular. s***, you might even be able to use flux on the wires beforehand.

IMHO it's a sound idea. By nature, not going to be as strong as a normal temp solder, but in reality, how much tension do you put on your wires anyway.

Thanks for the link Jaime. I'm going to give them a try.

EDIT: Proper soldering technique, but it becomes more difficult as the wire gets larger:

Last edited:
That's a good vdeo

What cam and header did you guys end up going with?

Heat guns get pretty hot, and low melt solder flows just like regular. s***, you might even be able to use flux on the wires beforehand.

IMHO it's a sound idea. By nature, not going to be as strong as a normal temp solder, but in reality, how much tension do you put on your wires anyway.

Thanks for the link Jaime. I'm going to give them a try.

EDIT: Proper soldering technique, but it becomes more difficult as the wire gets larger:

Stock cam. New truck came with a trail gear header

header is a rock ripper from trail gear

Well that sucks
But at least the 80 will be good to go.

Ehhh idk about that just yet, keeps loosing its cool “temper” on me, was right under red going down 540 today. This is just going through town.
85274CAA-7B23-414A-9308-A159B5B0F124.jpeg

That’s not good. Hope you guys get it figured out in time for LR.

Dipty is good to go, after doing the radiator cap, moving the big air horn from the grill helped a bit but it still was getting hot, but overall putting a new thermostat in fixed it and is good as new. Now to let it sit till Logan's run so i don't break anything else and get some stuff done on Greaser.

IFS steering box is done
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom