Builds Project F u k u s h i m a... my 1990 HZJ73 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only had a little time to work on the sliders today. I did get the mudflaps reinstalled. Made some mounting plates out of 1/4" plate. Starting drilling holes in the plates and in the frame for mounting. Hoping to get the legs cut tomorrow.

IMG_20170304_144455_zpsaoech32r.jpg

Good progress on the sliders today. Got the plates mounted, then started building the legs. Used 1/4" plate and 2x2 square tube for the legs. Ended up bending up a piece of 1.75" round tube for the very front of the left slider. It will bolt to the body mount. Kind of looks weird, but did not see any other location for the front mount.

Here they are all tacked and ready for the welding party...

IMG_20170305_114758_zpslxzmlqei.jpg

Made these little gussets out of 1/4". They mount on top of the legs and should help with deflection.

IMG_20170305_153813_zpsgoiddtkh.jpg

All welded. The exhaust routing sucks for building sliders. I did end up using the exhaust skid that I built a few months ago. I may add another piece of tube to the very front of the right slider, but I'll wait to see how things work out with this configuration.

IMG_20170305_165705_zpsepvbn10v.jpg

Here are a couple with them bolted up to the HZJ...

IMG_20170305_084213_zps4se3d2op.jpg

IMG_20170305_084228_zpsrnbuedq1.jpg

And the clearance from the door to the slider... plenty of room and you won't drag the back of your leg on the slider when you jump out of the truck.

IMG_20170305_084430_zpsk4iqhvbv.jpg

Decided to leave the step open. I was going to put a piece of plat on top with a couple of dimples. I think I like it better without a plate.

IMG_20170305_084240_zpslb4vcmfw.jpg

That was it for this weekend. Hopefully I will get them cleaned up and painted next weekend.

Finished up the sliders over the weekend and got them installed. I ended up painting them for now. I will have everything powder coated eventually. I also fixed that loooong tail pipe. I also did a little tuning, turned down the fuel, so she doesn't smoke as much and still have some power. Still need to find a local dyno shop.

Here's the sliders getting some flat rustoleum pro put on...

IMG_20170312_114157_zpsnj7xdywe.jpg

And installed finally...

IMG_20170312_174011_zpsdtc03ftj.jpg

For the exhaust, I ended up hacking off the end. Then started cutting to fit around the mudflap and stick out just far enough, so the exhaust wouldn't blow on the springs or bumper.

After some strategic cutting and grinding... :)

IMG_20170312_131223_zps3yu4o5xg.jpg

In this pic you can see where the exhaust exits the rear.

IMG_20170312_173958_zps0vizdfty.jpg

Next up I need to tackle the headlights. Driving by candlelight isn't much fun. Not sure (I haven't searched yet, but will) if anyone has replaced their lights with anything better, but if you have please share what you installed. I will be reading up this week in hopes of finding a good replacement light.

The go to lights are Truck-Lite or JW Speaker but I've wondered if bi-xenon G500 headlamps could work.

Thanks for the headlight posts. Keep em coming... I appreciate it. I ordered a set of Chinese led lights from amzn, but no go. Didn't work when plugged into the H3 connectors, but did work when connected to 12v or 24v. I haven't had time to look at the wiring diagram for the light circuits, but something tells me they aren't simple power + ground circuits. Knowing Toyota they've done something to make it more complicated. Need to research a little more and pull out the EWD. In the meantime, I also order a set of JW Speakers (prime of course, so they can go back). Will check these out and go from there. My ideal solution would be a set of bi-xenon projectors, but haven't found anything compelling... yet!

This comment in the ad...
  • Used in motor coaches and buses where cost is no object.
Kind of says it all :)

Lights are in...! I decided to keep the JW Speaker lights. The quality was really nice and when I tested them at night they were BRIGHT. I did find a set of 7" HID Projectors, but couldn't find any reviews on them. (Dapper Lighting 7" Classic V2).

After looking at the EWD I learned that Toyota wires the headlights where the switch send power to the lights then completes the circuit to ground. They alternate the grounds depending on low or high beam selection. In other words, the grounding changes depending on low/high beam selection. I've seen a bunch of wiring circuits this way in my FJ Cruiser. The JW lights (or I'd imagine most) are looking for a constant ground on the black wire. They are also looking for the power to be sent via either the white or yellow wire depending on low or high beam selection.

I setup a simple SPDT (5 pin) relay in order to send constant power and ground. I did get some help from another thread where I found the wiring diagram below. Thanks to @Rankuru for sharing the diagram below. The only issue I have noticed is the high beam indicator in the dash doesn't illuminate when the high beams are on... however, I'm not sure it every did as I don't think I used them before. :D I'll take a look at it and see what needs to be fixed. Might be that the dash indicator is wired into the light circuit and doesn't work with the new relay setup.

Here's a cheat sheet for the wiring:

30 - connected to the + from the headlight switch (Red/Black and Red/Blue wires in my truck)
85 - connected to the - from the high beam ground (Red/Yellow wire at the headlights)
86 - connected to the + from the headlight switch (wired into the same position as pin 30)
87 - connected to the high beam wire on the JW headlight (white wire on the headlight)
87a - connected to the low bean wire on the JW headlight (yellow wire on the headlight)
headlight ground - connected to a good ground point on the chassis

headlight%20wiring_zpsfsi4koiu.jpg

The screws holding the light ring were rusted on. I sprayed a little pb blaster on them the night before and they came right out.

IMG_20170318_183524_zpsqk97rjcm.jpg

Nice ground point and location to put the relay close to the headlight.

IMG_20170318_183533_zpsuoa6b8cy.jpg

Not sure I'm a fan of the new technology look on an old truck, but if it means I can see at night I'm good with it.

IMG_20170318_184717_zpsu685dkkf.jpg

I went with the black bezels inside the JW lights. My wife said my truck isn't as ugly with all the upgrades. I think it's growing on her.

IMG_20170318_184827_zpsglel4sp8.jpg

I played with the adjustments last night. Need to drive the truck and then play with the adjustments some more. They are bright.

IMG_20170318_184935_zpsoseob2tm.jpg

So, any teasers to what the new project is going to be?

Bummer to see this up for sale.

BTW, how was routing the 3" exhaust out of the engine bay? Did you have to cut the wheel well to make clearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom