Project Deep storage rebirth wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornadoalleycruiser

Erik TLCA #5303
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
OK.. Some of you may fall out of your chair.. Start with the important things..
Stereo, had to scavenge the stereo out of this for the ford.. that was a few, well a # of years ago.. Found a refurb JVC that matched the one I got from Jenn for the matrix.. SOldered all the connections and plugged it into the dash.. Can't test it yet need a battery..
SOOO. move onto next superficial project.. Snorkel.. Jenn asks.. Uh what's the purpose? Me? Uh mainly cause it looks cool.. Jenn, you aren't going in the water are you? Me.. Uh no but it looks cool! and it allows the engine to breath cleaner cooler air so it's more better for it.

Next.. To go with the snorkel i dug out the old FJ62 air cleaner and a top hat for the air cleaner I had in deep cold storage out of a HJ60 that matches the plenum for the snorkel..
Then dig out of deep cold storage a plenum adapter for the TBI off a caddy. still need to marry the two..

Soo.. Since Kelly hazed me when we were digging a tranmission and tcase out of an FJ62 with an H engine and H55 with round headlights that just got back from Proffits because i didn't have any pictures.. here's some progress..
IMG_4554.JPG
IMG_4555.JPG
IMG_4556.JPG

Next we go nuts.. Lug nuts that is.. PIcked up a box of 100.. I've had more than one bad experience losing a wheel due to alum rims and wrong lug nuts.. so found one with an extended shank of about 3/8" that goes into the wheel. Got the idea here on mud and my snow tires for the matrix have the same setup. also since they go deep into the wheel you need a socket adapter to get to them. the matrix wheels came with the adapter, since i figured this out today on the cruiser I googled it and they make them.. went to parts store no luck but a spark plug socket works the same and you can use a 4way on it. so.. shows thread engagement with 1/4" spacer needed to clear calipers, old lug nuts that didn't grab much and new lug nuts.. ON the other side I have ground the calilper to clear the wheel, i'll do that later on this side as well.. i'm running 16"s so you can't do that with 15"s..
IMG_4560.JPG
IMG_4561.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG

salvaged front bumper. club member went to ARB's and i just want this thing rolling.. last time i had it at moab i tried to get each corner of the stock bumpers to pop off.. was fun but needed something in the meantime till i build something nicer.. this will work took me longer to dig out bolts in the old tool box full of bolts than to bolt the thing on.. did i mention this truck has about a quarter inch of dust on it from sitting? can i call it a barn find?
the boys called on their way back from moab.. they were in Hays getting ready for the windy section of ks..
IMG_4562.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG

Dangit Colin you had to work on my one free day didn't you..

HOLY $#!!, Erik posted pictures, of a Land Cruiser, on MUD! And he's making progress on the 60!

I'll be a off a couple of days during the week so hopefully I'll get somewhere on the bumper build this week/weekend. Need to get the trucks up and running so we can actually go wheeling this summer and test your snorkel.

Dang i'm actually perspiring.. or is that just plain ol sweat.. Bout out of time for the day but swept up around and under the truck.. had to move a bunch of lumber, scrap steel, axles, beer bottles (that need to be returned to kelly for refils) etc.. Moved it forward a bit and finished up the rear bumper.. REar bumper was a salvage job again temporary but will serve the purpose for now. Took me longer to find bolts again.. seems all my bolt storage is behind the side of the truck! Dang poor planning on my part.. Bonus is the more i get bolted on the more room i have in the garage..
Probably about done for the day as Jenn's due home any minute and need to go get her truck.. Got the integra detailed and it's going on craigslist tonight. Gotta advertise fast and furious 5 car for sale!
IMG_4564.JPG

gonna have to move the brains up into the glove box then! :) currently they're under the pass seat.. details like that can wait till she's running..

Had to clearance the radiator shroud to get the battery in.. I'm going to have to redo most of the ac lines later as they seem to be in the way right now of just about everything.. I"ll move the dryer somewhere else and run new hoses. I have to re-wire the ac amplifier anyway.. but battery in temporary for now. didn't buy new battery clamps and really can't remember which one goes to the starter anyway so will have to climb under soon..
IMG_4565.JPG

next up will be to see if the stereo works and then fix the headlights. they quit working in colorado one night. sucks when your hitting a mountain pass and your headlights go out.. I think it's the contacts in the column but i had to do some quick improvising at the time and not sure what all i cut out to do that.. Jobe has a parts rig i might grab the column out of if i need bits.. and i have most of a 62 column here at the house.

Snorkle = Awesome, when people ask I tell them it's a bubble machine. One lady was so excited she wanted to know where to get one, so I broke the news to her that it was actually a snorkle. When confused by that I said, "you know, like an elephant."

Tell Jenn the wife calls it a Dorkle. Great to see progress.

OOooo Looking forward to hearing all about this! :)

well.. I've had this rig a # of years.. off and on in different configurations..
It's well traveled just kinda got pushed back in the corner awaiting it's turn.

the GSR fast and the furious ricer left yesterday. Sadly it went to a 16 year old but parents had cash... I warned em.. Jobe called today asking the status.. Going to spend time on her tomorrow underneath and putting the toybox back together. This time i'm doing direct shift out the top of the toybox instead of a twin stick off to the side with heims.. THis incarnation of the wagon will have 2.28:1 toybox gears instead of 4.9.. WHICH WAS WAY TOO LOW to stop the darn thing with the brakes..
insurance is coming early next week, inspection early next week then hopefully next week can drive it to jobes for some R&R on the engine.. Let him work some magic on her.
Gotta check fluids, change some fluids.. I'll do more wiring on her after she's running..

Ok. this might be a bit premature of a question cause I know Jobe will probably rattle off the answer and or fix it..
THis truck has been popping EGR codes since i've had it.. WEll from my recollection..
Originally had an issue getting an EGR solenoid to plug in to the harness.. I think it is still doing it?

I have a spare ecm, has anyone had theirs reflashed to wipe out egr and vss? I can do vss, i think the prior one died but i have a spare here, not sure what pulses it has tho.
thoughts? 350 TBI motor.

course could also be related to the 6 and 8 plugs fouling issues that Jobe is going to look at..
anyway.. i'm going back under the truck.

Had to pull the seats to pull the carpet to drill a big ol hole in the truck. toybox is under the new hole.. now to clean up metal shavings, make sure the toybox is full and put the shifter in..

Got the Dash back in.. stereo works! weird problem i had last time i drove it was the stereo would show stations and not play sound. that's why it got pulled and went in the ford where it worked fine.. Dunno what happened but something in the wiring was apparently bad. strange since i used the same adapter wiring harness on this stereo..

Axles are full, tcase is full.. oil changed.. After this I guess I have to fix the fuel line. Not looking forward to that.
IMG_4618.JPG

transfer cases all buttoned up.. gotta go get the driveshafts at the other house..
tried to hit the key and nada.. diagnosed it down to a dead fuel pump... found the receipt from 2003 so hopefully they will swap it for me.

If you can't hear the stereo, try the volume knob.

Nice work! Got any spare gumball machines/dorkels? I want one for my truck--just gotta get it running first. Also want to sand/prime/paint the bed.

The old toolbox fits perfect on it...and has a mount for a cb antennae. Looking for one this week unless you have one? I have a magnetic one but am looking for bendy plastic one. My sched is getting busier so if you need help or someone to drink and heckle with Thursday night let me know. Going back to school possibly so you can call me Dr. Arnote.

your looking for the cb or antenna? I can stop and get one for you at the cb shop by my office.. I need a new base for mine later. WAY later.. if you need a cb i have a box of em just don't know which ones work and which ones don't. don't know if i have an antenna, i think it's on zane's truck or went with his 80 i have no idea anymore.
I'm trying to wrap this up to running status so i'll be picking up a new fuel pump this week. gotta work monday night. try to pick up my driveshafts at the other house and see if she'll start.

your needing a carb issue figured out? have you gone to the minitruck section here on mud yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom