Project complete - not happy with test spin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
So I got everything done, SOA, SM465-3speed, Astro Steer, etc etc... a lot to do at once on the ol' 77 Fj40.

Shifts realy smooth. No grinding or issues. But the dang thing sounds like a friggen factory under there.

NOISY and jolty as hell. It has a new clutch so its grabby, but man, this rig is very hard to drive. It's jolty and darty. Further, its so loud in neutral or under load.

Thoughts, ideas? Is everything ok? All rags are accounted for. sooooo

ragman

Loud could be your 3 spd xfer, especially if the gears aren't an original set, I think those were noisier to start with. I don't know how noisy the 465s are.

By "darty and jolty" what do you mean? Wanders with your hands off the wheel? Did you mess with castor? If your U bolts aren't tight then it will pull as you change power.

FLYINGLOW said:
If your U bolts aren't tight then it will pull as you change power.

Roger that. When I installed new springs and U bolts, I checked the torque and several were loose. Checked them twice since, and no change.

Ed

that SM465/3speed is not going to be as smooth of a tranny compared to the Stock 4 speed

Steering is jolty?? Maybe your shackles are twisting as you steer.. since you didnot do the SR.. also the saginaw boxes have an adjustment nut on top you could play with any slop in the system..

Glad the thing is done!! Your Pretty quick! maybe i can make it out there thursday night to take a look at it and diagnose some stuff..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom