Project 88’ Fj62 that was painted with “house” paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know you’ll all
Love this! So I am currently trailering my most recent project cruiser home to St Gerorge Utah … this is my 5th fj62. The good… great service records, original Owner, spent whole life in Sedona AZ …… the bad…. The owners never had any intent to sale…. So they thought they would cover the oxidized og grey with house paint… yes they hand rolled the whole car with a navy house paint 🤣🤣🤣🤣 this is gonna be fun restoring her to her original glory! If anyone knows of any good products to try and remove house paint let me know! I noticed under the gas tank door a bunch of paint was missing and the OG paint looks great… so many buff her with gasoline? Just kidding.

D3B67AE1-7D95-4FB6-9357-45E8090C1CDD.jpeg

B5F1CCBC-2685-41DB-9ADB-78AB116F7508.jpeg

1523212C-981E-4176-B76D-C4E733D76EE1.jpeg

201478B3-34A4-4B79-BFAF-125BF145AE2A.jpeg

C148F312-0607-49B5-AF97-94E97CBD5DFB.jpeg

Last edited:
If they prepped poorly, that will help ;)

Perhaps try a pressure washer around the peeled areas, and see if it will peel more. You might also try a citrus-based stripper and apply/remove it quickly such that it only goes after the latex paint. Try a low/hidden area first. There are 2 ways to remove paint - chemical and mechanical, and both have their drawbacks. Let us know how it goes.

Nice. St George is gorgeous, I was just there last week.

If they prepped poorly, that will help ;)

Perhaps try a pressure washer around the peeled areas, and see if it will peel more. You might also try a citrus-based stripper and apply/remove it quickly such that it only goes after the latex paint. Try a low/hidden area first. There are 2 ways to remove paint - chemical and mechanical, and both have their drawbacks. Let us know how it goes.
Great ideas Doing that this afternoon! Keep you posted

Wait...................whaa...................what?????

Oh. SOrry.

First off, sweet truck. Second, Jess and I loved St. George. SO beware, we may crash your place Lol.

Try bumper stripper. it comes in an aerosol and is expensive. spray a small area and be ready to wipe off paint as soon as it starts wrinkling to save the original paint, but generally, the original paint is so dry and cured it won't care. Wash with soapy water and repeat.

For less wallet painful ideas, and less intrusive. Try Goof Off (not Goo Gone- it doesn't work). It is milder but may work. Next and more severe, try Easy Off oven cleaner. A bit of a long shot but a high ph cleaner that may work. From there play around with different things on inconspicuous areas. Lacquer thinner, Aircraft stripper (wash REALLY quick because it will eat the original paint too), Citrus paint stripper, etc.

Should be more fun than you should be able to have legally!

Good luck!!

Wait...................whaa...................what?????

Oh. SOrry.

First off, sweet truck. Second, Jess and I loved St. George. SO beware, we may crash your place Lol.

Try bumper stripper. it comes in an aerosol and is expensive. spray a small area and be ready to wipe off paint as soon as it starts wrinkling to save the original paint, but generally, the original paint is so dry and cured it won't care. Wash with soapy water and repeat.

For less wallet painful ideas, and less intrusive. Try Goof Off (not Goo Gone- it doesn't work). It is milder but may work. Next and more severe, try Easy Off oven cleaner. A bit of a long shot but a high ph cleaner that may work. From there play around with different things on inconspicuous areas. Lacquer thinner, Aircraft stripper (wash REALLY quick because it will eat the original paint too), Citrus paint stripper, etc.

Should be more fun than you should be able to have legally!

Good luck!!
St george is amazing! I’ve lived all over the US and this is the place …my teen boys love climbing so we are here for good. It’s an outdoor amusement park! So much to do. Ok first i power washed it… did nothing …. Then I tried citrus paint stripper and it kinda made it a sticky mess. Gave up after 4 layers …I’m wondering if it was an oil based rustoleum deal…. I still cannot believe the old owners did this … the paint on the roof is really chipping and you can see the OG paint and it looks good! 🤯🤯🤯 I’m gonna give the bumper stripper a try and then the others thank you for all the help! Lastly I’ll hit a paint and body shop and get a quote 😬 I’ll take good pics close up tomorrow just so you can laugh at this paint job 🤣

Sounds kinda dumb but maybe try some wheel bearing grease on a part that can sit in the sun and bake for a day or so., then try power washing it. The grease may soften the oil based paint. This is a great way to take off old, hard undercoating. Brush paint on oil then scrape it off. May be a long shot but may work

Sounds kinda dumb but maybe try some wheel bearing grease on a part that can sit in the sun and bake for a day or so., then try power washing it. The grease may soften the oil based paint. This is a great way to take off old, hard undercoating. Brush paint on oil then scrape it off. May be a long shot but may work
Hey ill Try anything! Thanks 🙏🏻

Surprisingly, I have seen A LOT of cruisers with “house paint” including one of my own. Really am not sure on people do this. For me, whenever there is a peeling in the paint, I just rip it off and expose the pretty brown paint underneath. However this may take a while.

I dont think aircraft stripper has methylene chloride in it anymore since too many people were dying. So it may not be as aggressive as dogfishlake suggests above. I used the original stuff and it really works on auto paint.

Congrats! I was thinking of taking a look at that one when I saw that it kept dropping in price. Have fun!

Surprisingly, I have seen A LOT of cruisers with “house paint” including one of my own. Really am not sure on people do this. For me, whenever there is a peeling in the paint, I just rip it off and expose the pretty brown paint underneath. However this may take a while.
No way! I wish I could just rip it off but I’m telling you it on there my goal is to keep the original paint! When I got my first cruiser I repainted it and I learned the hard way that these are always worth more with original paint…. Thanks for your input cheers

I dont think aircraft stripper has methylene chloride in it anymore since too many people were dying. So it may not be as aggressive as dogfishlake suggests above. I used the original stuff and it really works on auto paint.
Thanks!

I've cleaned a couple up with 409 oven cleaner and it shined like new once I got all the house paint off. It just takes time and elbow grease.

I have successfully stripped paint with the Home Depot product called CitriStrip, it's a gel, and works very well....

I have successfully stripped paint with the Home Depot product called CitriStrip, it's a gel, and works very well....
I am now wondering if it wasn’t house paint I feel like there’s a clearcoat on top of maybe acrylic? Citristrip didn’t touch it …. I’ve tried two different oven cleaners and acetone…. Looks like I’m gonna have to leave this to the professionals… and maybe start getting quotes at an auto
Body shop 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom