Builds Project: (Beige) 83 FJ60 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the replacement smog pump installed. Clearly the old was bad. Cause there is no noise come from this one. Seems like it runs better now!

IMG_1661.JPG

Removed old fuel sending unit. And replaced it with fresh new one from Mr. Toyota.
It's nice to see how much gas you have. rather then releying on your odometer.

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

So took a test drive around the neighborhood. Just to make sure things are good and I won't get stranded.
Well it happened again. I was driving and all the sudden she turned off. Just as it did prior to air pump letting go!
I open hood check things out. Pump is good, check the carb glass and I see no fuel. Hmm, fuel starvation!
Checked my lines I find a pinched line.
Remove it and replace it correctly.
Starts up I se fuel in the sight glass and fuel bring pumped through filter.
I keep driving around!
And once again she stalls! I keep cranking and nothing!
So I start pushing her while I wait for a friend I calll down the street off to the side. Some resident I guess saw me and decided to help. Thank goodness for his help.
Once I made it to the side of the curb. I called my guy who rebuilt my carb. Told him what happened. He had me ho thru a series of checks. I did everything checked out carb side. It wasn't the carb it turns out it was my fuel filter it had water and gunk in it.

So I go home pick up a new fuel filter and replace it. And she fires back up!
I guess now I am going to drop the tank and have it cleaned out and at the same time blow out the hard lines. Just to make sure it has a easy passage.
Also called my Toyota parts guy and had him check if the Tank recall was done and the answer was " Yes" it was done back in 1998. Oh well!
So dropping the tank and shooting it over too Burbank radiator.

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

Last edited:
I am thinking about that right now.

It’s always been registered and driven every year since new so probably no big surprises. Probably the ethenol gas eroding stuff.

It’s acting like it’s running out of gas and on 1/16 tank but only taking 16 gallons to fill up. Damn near got stranded in the ghettoes part of Houston last evening and then almost died on the freeway trying to get gas lol.

I will probably change that, then the filters and monitor them before dropping a bunch of stuff.

Your
I am thinking about that right now.

It’s always been registered and driven every year since new so probably no big surprises. Probably the ethenol gas eroding stuff.

It’s acting like it’s running out of gas and on 1/16 tank but only taking 16 gallons to fill up. Damn near got stranded in the ghettoes part of Houston last evening and then almost died on the freeway trying to get gas lol.

I will probably change that, then the filters and monitor them before dropping a bunch of stuff.
Your pick up tube is probably clogged or you have sediment at the bottom of your tank! Replace your filter maybe that would help.

I dropped the tank today. Removed the pick up tube and man oh man is it rusty.
Tank don't look so good either.
Sending it tomorrow to Burbank Radiator to have it cleaned out. Hope it works out.
As you can see the reason I named my rig "Dusty".
Las Vegas dust all over it.
Stuff is everywhere.

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

Picked up my freshly cleaned out fuel tank from L&M strippers in Van Nuys,CA.
This guy is great! Nice guy to deal with does excellent work!
One day turn around.
Going to undercoat the tank and install new bits to it. And blow out the lines.
And new fuel lines.
Project for the weekend.

IMG_1677.JPG

Got some parts in today. For my fuel tank.
Replaced new fuel pick up and gasket.
Fuel Pick up came with a sock. (Sorry no pic of sock). New fuel drain gasket, new fuel filler gasket, replaced all the fuel lines under there as well.
And rear left taillight lens.

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

Damn ese, That fuel filter like a dagnab coffee filter!

Hope it all works out, but coming along nicely. Hechale ganas!
Yeah it was pretty bad!
The tank was worse.
I think though I got some bad stuff in the newly rebuilt carb. The needle is staying stuck and not filling up at the sight glass.
Gracias ha sido mucha chinga!

Took the top part of the carb apart this weekend and cleaned it out of some left over debris from the dirty tank.
Took her out for a spin around town all day today.
She ran good!
It's nice to know I have a clean fuel tank New lines and fuel filter.

IMG_1735.JPG

Well Dusty has been running great lately up until Thursday and yesterday Friday.
I drive her around town I stop somewhere she starts up but doesn’t want to idle. Runs rough. I drive for a few minutes and runs great but as I come to a slow won’t idle and continues to runs Rough
I’m suspecting EGR?
Anyone have suggestions .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom